Royal Doulton Bulldog size

Just incase this is still a mystery the Bulldog in Skyfall is much larger than the one they are selling to the public. I saw the original and met Michael Daulton who confirmed.

Comments

• Gadget MeisterGadget Meister Bicester, OxonPosts: 1,972MI6 Agent
    The originals come in three sizes in height 2.5, 4 & 6 inches respectively. The 4 inch was used in the movie. What height is the new one? I haven't unpacked mine.
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    I think that 'Jack' is around 4" high but I'll have to get the steps out the garage to check. :)

Tbh, I was pissed off with RD and their use of the term 'limited edition', if it turns out to be the wrong damn size I'll be even more pissed off.

C'est la vie, we'd all buy it anyways, but it'd be nice if they could at least get the size correct.

RD's UK site is currently having a revamp, but the US site has Jack listed as 3.75" in height;

http://na.wwrd.com/ae/us/bulldogs/royal-doulton-bulldogs-jack-dd-007/invt/652383748002/
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • simonsabresimonsabre Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    My Royal Doulton Bulldog Jack DD007 measures 3.75 inches in height by 6 inches in length.

Also I was watching the Gary Oldman film "tinker tailor solider spy" and noticed a royal doulton bulldog in the office of "C" at around 97 minutes into the film.

I wonder if the makers of skyfall watched the same film?
    simonsabre wrote:
    My Royal Doulton Bulldog Jack DD007 measures 3.75 inches in height by 6 inches in length.

Also I was watching the Gary Oldman film "tinker tailor solider spy" and noticed a royal doulton bulldog in the office of "C" at around 97 minutes into the film.

I wonder if the makers of skyfall watched the same film?

There's 2 in the background of the quiet room, they're on the sideboard behind control. ;)
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    So, according to Paperbill, 1/4 of an inch constitutes "much bigger", bet that's just what he tells the wife :D
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    So, according to Paperbill, 1/4 of an inch constitutes "much bigger", bet that's just what he tells the wife :D

:)) :)) :))

Just so everyone knows, the Jack in SF was one of the Jacks in TTSS, I was told this by the Property Master while I was taking pictures of the little SF radio for FE, as they at one point were going to make it -{
  • Bond Collectors' WeekendsBond Collectors' Weekends Gainesville, Florida USAPosts: 1,883MI6 Agent
    So now we have Paperbill tinkering with a Tinker Tailor's tinker?
    Seven (007) James Bond Tours! Mission: Mexico!
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    edited September 2013
    Paperbill wrote:
    Just incase this is still a mystery the Bulldog in Skyfall is much larger than the one they are selling to the public. I saw the original and met Michael Daulton who confirmed.

This isn't true. The screen used one is smaller. I know the artist who created the original damage on the screen used prop and have had it in my hands and compared it to the new version. In fact I've had two of them as they made several and altered the facial paint to match the main undamaged prop. It is smaller, not bigger. I have pictures somewhere of them together. It's not much smaller though. I'd say the new version is a little bulkier and lacking in detail compared to the original. The next size up is 6" high and is way bigger than the Skyfall prop. Either you mis-understood Michael Doulton, or he got his facts wrong by mistake.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    The originals come in three sizes in height 2.5, 4 & 6 inches respectively. The 4 inch was used in the movie. What height is the new one? I haven't unpacked mine.

The new one is 4 inches high, just a tad taller than the mid size original. As I said, the whole sculpt is stockier than the original though, making it look larger overall. As you say, it's the mid-size version used in Skyfall.
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Paperbill wrote:

This isn't true. The screen used one is smaller. I know the artist who created the original damage on the screen used prop and have had it in my hands and compared it to the new version. In fact I've had two of them as they made several and altered the facial paint to match the main undamaged prop. It is smaller, not bigger. I have pictures somewhere of them together. It's not much smaller though. I'd say the new version is a little bulkier and lacking in detail compared to the original. The next size up is 6" high and is way bigger than the Skyfall prop. Either you mis-understood Michael Doulton, or he got his facts wrong by mistake.

Are we sure he didnt get the whole person mixed up and it was Michael Boulton :D :v
    That would explain the inaccurate 'facts' presented here.

What original did you see Paperbill, because if it was bigger, it certainly wasn't an original prop.
    Stunt mutt perhaps?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • dailo007dailo007 Posts: 182MI6 Agent
    Slightly off topic, but if anyone's passing through Heathrow T3, last Wednesday they had a pile of these "limited edition" muts in the Harrods outlet at a tax free price of just under 42 quid.
  • PaperbillPaperbill FloridaPosts: 810MI6 Agent
    edited September 2013
    Asp9mm wrote:
    That would explain the inaccurate 'facts' presented here.

What original did you see Paperbill, because if it was bigger, it certainly wasn't an original prop.

Picture below. Mr. Doutlon showed me the "Original" and said it was the same size as in the movie. I dodn't misunderstand him and he was very animated in showing me the size difference.
    1235116_10151746474737886_42829553_n.jpg
    1236745_10151746508932886_2028759571_n.jpg
    1235359_10151746456842886_2000155310_n.jpg
    It's hard to tell in this picture, but this BD is a bit bigger and is what I was told was used in Skyfall1157749_10151746476527886_1199032097_n.jpg
    so ASP, next time I see Mr. Doulton I will tell him you said he is wrong! :) Everyone I know who bought one of these remarked they expected it to be bigger because it LOOKS bigger in the movie, not smaller
    edited September 2013
    Looks much larger the two I own, optical allusion? .
    mbulldog.jpg
    1240327_10151746709917886_473746547_n.jpg
    1237085_10201883019227959_776819341_n.jpg
    537939_10201883023748072_672597984_n.jpg
    I would say that Mr Daulton was blowing smoke up your arse :D always go with the prop guy :D

Here is a close up of a set used jack, please notice the size of the ears and the expression on its face
    IMG_1383_zps72fa38a8.jpg

It is the Medium sized Bulldog not the larger one -{ and I don't need glasses :D
    edited September 2013
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    I would say that Mr Daulton was blowing smoke up your arse :D always go with the prop guy :D

Here is a close up of a set used jack, please notice the size of the ears and the expression on its face
    IMG_1383_zps72fa38a8.jpg

It is the Medium sized Bulldog not the larger one -{ and I don't need glasses :D

Well then the medium one is larger the ones they are selling as Skyfall dogs, period!
    Fools and there money -{

But the large one you pictured is a large Bulldog and is not the type used in SF, Mr Daulton got it wrong, but what you believe is up to you Mr Bill, ASP is still right
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    Fools and there money -{

But the large one you pictured is a large Bulldog and is not the type used in SF, Mr Daulton got it wrong, but what you believe is up to you Mr Bill, ASP is still right
    I will believe my eyes, instinct, and what Mr. Daulton told me. All due respect to you and ASP. Ok I am on to more productive things than the size of a porcelain Bulldog :)
    Good for you -{
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited September 2013
    Asp9mm wrote:
    The new one is 4 inches high, just a tad taller than the mid size original. As I said, the whole sculpt is stockier than the original though, making it look larger overall. As you say, it's the mid-size version used in Skyfall.

I m sure that Asp9mm is correct.

If anyone is an expert on shrinkage of old things, he's the one! :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    OK now we've left Paperbill behind with his delusions it is also worth noting that the original early models (40s) have a couple of distinguishing features. The head is level and not cocked off slightly to one side like the later ones and the glazing of the black eye is a lot fuller and blacker.

I now have a full set, original small, med & large originals and also a new one, off to the States next week, when I get back I'll photograph the whole family together for the definitive comparison.