A contemporary James Bond Rolex

Hey folks,

as we all know, Ian Fleming was a Rolex fan and gave a Rolex to his hero in the novels.

The cinematic Bond received a 6538 Submariner in Dr. No and this watch has defined the Bond watches for all times imo.
Rolex6538s.jpg

Case: The sleek classic lines of the "older" Submariners are timeless and I adore the non-crownguard cases from the early age.
Here you see a Sub with crownguards:
1354405.jpg?v=0

The 6538 prominently features the big crown as opposed to the other Sub from that era, the 6536 which has the small crown:
RX6536-1-02c.jpg

Dial:
The printing on the dial was gilt colour - contrary to recent watches, where the printing is white coloured on steel watches:
x168000.jpg

The luminiscent material on the dial was radium back then - pretty high x-ray exposure and the colour of that lume material was somehow greenish when new - it fades to a brownish tone after some decades - remember 6538 are > 50 years old.

So I really love to own a 6538 as a good original one costs between 50.000 - 100.000 US$ it is out of question for me besides the fact that such an old watch will not be able to widthstand water constantly and the radiation of the dial would also be a turnoff for me.

Due to that, the idea rose how a modern James Bond Rolex Submariner would look like today.

The obvious choice would be a modern Submariner
Rolex-Submariner-2012.jpg

Or Submariner Date:
rolex-oyster-perpetual-submariner-date-116610ln-automatic-diving-watch.jpg

Owning a recent Submariner Date (Ceramic) myself, I really enjoy all the modern updates on this watch - but I find the case far too bulky and "bling" if that makes sense.

I also don't like the ROLEXROLEX engraving on the ring around the dial (rehaut), so I have to watch out for another option.

Now our man himself

danielcraigprojectxdesi.jpg

pojnted me into the right direction- I mean if Daniel Craig approves, it should be good for me as well.

Here is the watch that ticks so many fields:

Project-X-Designs-Rolex-Submariner-Daniel-Craig-600x855.jpg

To be continued
President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!

Comments

• richmenstoysrichmenstoys GermanyPosts: 1,482MI6 Agent
    great! which model shows the second picture?
    **everybody needs a hobby**
    https://www.instagram.com/wearitlikebond/
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent

:x it!
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    :x it!

He has no love for the 5513. :D

Bondtots The Butcher :))
    Yes, it's lovely. So you may ask: "Why don't you get a nice 5513 and have the crown guards removed and be happy with it?"

The reply is not that easy:

1. Plexi crystal: I love the look but they are prone to scratches and are not perfect to keep a watch waterresitant permanently.

2. Lume: The main problem is the lume: the 5513 had tritium luminous material and after around 12 year, the lume is not bright at night anymore. That's the major turn-down if Bond would choose a Rolex today and a turn-down for me as well.

I love it when I am waking up and can read the time without turning on the light.
    So a functional lume is non-negotiable and that closes out the 5513.

Maybe you should have a special bed time watch :D
    I don't have the funds for an extra bed-watch :D

You could always wake your wife and ask her the time :o :D
    edited October 2013
    She'll slap you on the next meeting for that suggestion! :D

And you should see her in the middle of the night and her sleep without makeup :o
    Once you have seen that, you'll not ask again :D

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,420Chief of Staff
    Bondtoys wrote:
    And you should see her in the middle of the night and her sleep without makeup :o
    Once you have seen that, you'll not ask again :D

Yeah...gave me a real fright she did :D

And...

Bondtots in decent watch pic shocker :o

:p
    YNWA 97
    you obviously looked into a mirror, Sir Miles 8-)

It's ok, Im use to taking the flack from Jo, and she is scary all the time as she don't often wear make up :D
  • Jason WestonJason Weston Posts: 47MI6 Agent
    On Amazon there is a Seiko diver that has an aged look its pretty cool looking and only $170ish.
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    To me the biggest difference between the old and the new Submariners is the width of the lugs. The old ones look sleek where the new ones look bulky and square.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
    edited October 2013
    Ok so back to topic and let's summarize the main thoughts:

1. a 6538 will be too expensive and not good for daily use
    2. It would be nice to have one of the old matte dials but the absence of working lume puts them out
    3. For that reason, I'll go for a glossy black dial with working lume and (unfortunately) the whitegold-surroundings around the lume plots
    4. For a maximum of durability and waterresistance, a watch with a sapphire crystal is a must
    5. The modern Submariner (Ceramics) are nice but too bulky -particularly on the lugs
    6. The crownguards must go!

Now 3 more thoughts:

(1) Date or not:
    I know that the basic tool-watch concept means that the Bond Submariner had no Date. I have one watch without a date function and am getting annoyed because i check the date several times during a workday on my watch, so a datefunction is a must

(2) Cyclope:
    A very practical invention is Rolexs Date magnifing cyclope at 3. To keep a clean pure look on the Bond Submariner, that must go!

(3) Strap:
    The Bond watch does not come on a metal bracelet. The alligator strap on the early Connery Sub is not good for water. The NATO straps later, I don't like for the following reasons:

- they are too thin!
    - They go behind the watch and catch dirt - which means that the caseback is constantly ground down a little from that dirt.
    - I don't like the metal rings on the NATO straps

Fortunately, I have found a very good alternative to the NATO straps, the MARATAC Composite strap:

Maratac-Composite1.jpg

I am wearing this type of strap on my IWC watch

615026d1327857086-official-iwc-pilot-pictures-thread-fotoklsa.jpg

and like it more and more every day. So the Bond Sub will have a Maratac Composite and not a NATO.

dsc00377t1akxslzcw.jpg

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    My, what hairy arms you have.
    bondtoys is a real man :D

on our next rendez-vous, I'll shave them :D
    Or does it turn you on? :v

bondtoys is a real man :D

More like the missing link :v :D
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Stop teasing us Markus. Give us the money shot!

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
    Hello DG, old friend

problem is that there is no money shot yet :D
    The watch is still in the making and I am boring you guys with my basic thoughts to get some reassurance that ruining a perfect Rolex is the right thing and to cope with my excitement during the waiting time until the watch is ready {[]

BTW: Having met that Asp9mm recently I can assure you that there may be noone in the entire world who's so boring and hermit-ic like him.

He can't socialize, only brabbling about his guns 8-) - annoying for everyone....

• Agent KinoAgent Kino New YorkPosts: 202MI6 Agent
    Great friggin topic. I wish I could afford just one of those watches. God I hate being a college student haha.
    1. Goldfinger 2. Skyfall 3. Goldeneye 4. The Spy Who Loved Me 5. OHMSS
    Check out my Instagram: @livingthebondlife
    "I never joke about my work, 007."
  • icsics Posts: 1,413MI6 Agent
    Very nice Markus -{ - LOVE :x this...

One stupid question... what size is the 6538 model - i have always thought it was like a mid-size on Connerys hand....
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    I really resent the idea of having a date window on the watch. However, removing the cyclops makes it a bit (a lot) better.

I like your idea for the strap, but will you use an all black strap or will it be possible to have a Goldfinger style color scheme?
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
    edited October 2013
    ics wrote:
    Very nice Markus -{ - LOVE :x this...

One stupid question... what size is the 6538 model - i have always thought it was like a mid-size on Connerys hand....

Hello Ian,

glad that you like it. The 6538 should be at 38 mm case diameter - a pretty large watch back then, relatively small to our standards today.

BTW the 6538 and the 6200 came with a dial that matches ecactly what Fleming describes in OHMSS (luminous numerals..):

bigcrownrolexgroup.jpg
    See the watch on the bottom left? It does not even say "Submariner" on the dial

People tend to argue, that Fleming would have mentioned "Submariner" if it was written on the dial.
    I am not saying that the OHMSS Rolex was that kind of Sub, but it is possible....

Peppermill wrote:

I like your idea for the strap, but will you use an all black strap or will it be possible to have a Goldfinger style color scheme?

The MARATEC Strap comes only in black.

The colour scheme from GF may be pretty iconic, I personally don't like it too much - particularly when it's understrapped like we see in GF.
    I doubt that a modern Bond would wear a watch like that today - to the same degree that I am sure that a british spy would drive a low-profile car instead of an Aston Martin DBS.

:x Dammm you like Rolex Markus - love it

Anyway lets call it 6538 mid-size by todays standard... :x
    Ian, these are not my watches on that pic.
    If they where, I would not be hanging around with you boring guys here but live a high-life - James Bond Style :D

They are his wife's watches, she has a much finer collection :D
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Ian, these are not my watches on that pic.
    If they where, I would not be hanging around with you boring guys here but live a high-life - James Bond Style :D

Oghhh a pity :#