Your Quirky Fan Theories

Colonel ShatnerColonel Shatner Chavtastic Bristol, BritainPosts: 574MI6 Agent
What quirky Bond movie fan theory do you have? One of the more popular ones is that James Bond is really a codename given to different men with a similar set of character traits and background. Here's one I've found circulating: there was never a Teresa (aka Tracy) Bond in the loose continuity of Connery Bond movies, in much the same way there would likely never be a Tracy Bond in the continuity of the Craig Bond movies and beyond, with Vesper being the albatross round the neck instead. In the PTS for Diamonds Are Forever Connery Bond was really tracking Blofeld down to avenge the accidental assassination of Aki in You Only Live Twice, which makes sense considering Aki's poisoning was as comparably tragic to see as Tracy's fatal headshot on her honeymoon drive and Vesper's self-inflicted death by drowning. Connery Bond was stricken by grief and loss in You Only Live Twice and Diamonds Are Forever, but it seemed more like the more bottled up grief of losing a close comrade during a war than a wife on a honeymood. And Blofeld in that continuity never left that oil rig alive.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...'

Comments

• AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    lee Tamahori has never made a decent Film in his Career and should never have been allowed to touch the Bond Franchise.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I have been told by a couple of people that George Lazenby is the bloke in bed with XXX
    At the start of TSWLM :)) I have pointed out it's not but it does seem to come up from
    Time to time. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,765MI6 Agent
    Calvin Dyson can give my opinion of the code name theory better than I can:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VnQtXihSR4

Second, Lee Tamahori made "Once we were warriors". So he has made one good film, some OK ones and one horrible Bond film.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    My quirky theory is that Bond retires to Scaramanga's island with Wai Lin.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • DieAnotherDayDieAnotherDay Glasgow, ScotlandPosts: 460MI6 Agent
    lee Tamahori has never made a decent Film in his Career and should never have been allowed to touch the Bond Franchise.

Oi!!! X-( Although I must admit he should never make another Bond :)
    ....and the best he ever managed was a sermon on the mount.
  • DieAnotherDayDieAnotherDay Glasgow, ScotlandPosts: 460MI6 Agent
    My theory is that Jack Wade was so angry that Bond "didn't say goodbye" that he put on all the diving gear and jumped out of the plane after him in a frightening rage. Unfortunately he forgot to pop his parachute and his head snapped back like a Cantaloupe on impact. That's why he never retuned in TWINE. :))
    ....and the best he ever managed was a sermon on the mount.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Here's one for each bond film:

DN - There really was a dragon - Dr No had it captured, and the dragon tank was just a cover-up
    FRWL - Rosa Klebb used to be a man
    GF - Oddjob is a beatles fan, and that's the real reason he attacks bond, after bond's 'beatles-earmuffs' line
    TB - Blofeld didn't have Angelo killed for greed - he had him killed for sleeping with his wife
    YOLT - The code 'I love you' was not told to Tiger Tanaka - he really did love bond
    OHMSS - Blofeld doesn't recognize bond because it's Lazenby, not Connery
    DAF - That wasn't Blofeld in drag - it was his extremely ugly sister
    LALD - Tee Hee didn't really lose his arm to a crocodile - he lost it from waving it out of the school bus window
    TMWTGG - Scaramanga and Nick Nack were lovers
    TSWLM - Indeed Sergi Borsov is George Lazenby's bond
    MR - Jaws and Dolly had to split up after finding out they were brother and sister
    FYEO - Bond really did sleep with Bibi - they just didn't show us that part
    OP - Bond's injury at the end of the film was actually from the clown (who got arrested) beating him up
    AVTAK - Max Zorin joined in with Bond and Mayday having sex (we just didn't see that part)
    TLD - Bond was absolutely petrified when on the ferris wheel
    LTK - Sanchez's iguana is still alive to this day
    GE - Bond was taken to court for stealing that tank
    TND - The whole film was actually a dream
    TWINE - Valentine didn't have a caviar factory, it was actually salmon (he was too embarrassed to say)
    DAD - The parasurfing scene was NOT CGI
    CR - Bond was actually getting turned on when being tortured
    QOS - The apple that Dominic Greene was eating gave him really bad diarrhea
    SF - M didn't die from a wound, she died from stress
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    Jarvio wrote:

DN - There really was a dragon - Dr No had it captured, and the dragon tank was just a cover-up
    GF - Oddjob is a beatles fan, and that's the real reason he attacks bond, after bond's 'beatles-earmuffs' line
    TB - Blofeld didn't have Angelo killed for greed - he had him killed for sleeping with his wife
    YOLT - The code 'I love you' was not told to Tiger Tanaka - he really did love bond
    LALD - Tee Hee didn't really lose his arm to a crocodile - he lost it from waving it out of the school bus window
    MR - Jaws and Dolly had to split up after finding out they were brother and sister
    OP - Bond's injury at the end of the film was actually from the clown (who got arrested) beating him up
    AVTAK - Max Zorin joined in with Bond and Mayday having sex (we just didn't see that part)
    TWINE - Valentine didn't have a caviar factory, it was actually salmon (he was too embarrassed to say)

Most of those are rather stupid and few of them are quite disturbing :o
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Jarvio wrote:

Maybe get a sense of humour then? 8-)
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

Jarvio wrote:
    Jarvio wrote:

Maybe don't be so rude when replying to me next Time then? 8-)
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent

He should have been the villain :D
    danjaq_0ff wrote:

He should have been the villain :D

He looks like one as well :))
    Jarvio wrote:

Maybe don't be so rude when replying to me next Time then? 8-)

Erm, you were the one that was rude in the first place. I don't get the internet sometimes... some people seem to feel the need to be rude, then accuse others of it (!)

• Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    This may not be very quirky, but I believe that Robert Brown's M is not Miles Messervy being played by a different actor, but is a promoted Admiral Hargreaves being played by the same actor.
    Hilly...you old devil!
    This may not be very quirky, but I believe that Robert Brown's M is not Miles Messervy being played by a different actor, but is a promoted Admiral Hargreaves being played by the same actor.

I always thought this too

Me too -{ that's how I explain it to myself. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    Me too. Just because both are older men doesn't mean they have to be the same M. If Robert Brown hadn't been in TSWLM I might have gone with the 'same M different actor' theory though.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    I thought it was generally accepted that it was a newly promoted M.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Dalkowski110Dalkowski110 Posts: 1,314MI6 Agent
    Well, I think you all know my re-stated (multiple times) theory that Orlov was the de facto main bad guy in OP. So I really don't think I need to state it a fourth time, do I? I mean I'll explain the details if asked, but it's also not that out there...it was outright stated in the movie after all that he furnished the bomb and implied REALLY heavily that Kamal just didn't care about human life rather than being a Soviet patriot to the point of mental instability (or for that matter being anything more than a financier for the bomb plot; he just wanted his money).

But there's another one that's quite a bit darker that I've believed. It fits well with the tone of the two films Timothy Dalton did. So here it is: Gogol never quit the KGB. Sure, he may not have been physically fit enough to lead it, but he maintained all his contacts. As such, at the end of TLD, when Kara goes back to Czechoslovakia, the StB arrest her and deport her to the USSR, where she serves time in a prison for her association with Koskov as well as her association with the Mujahedeen. The USSR makes sure she's healthy since they don't want an enemy of Bond, and Pushkin can basically tell Bond it's nothing personal; and that Gogol authorized the arrest in the first place. She was then released in 1989 with Gorbachev's reforms to the prison system.

Okay, so, why do I think this? Simple: Kara and Bond seemed closer than anyone since Tracy and Bond (and closer than anyone else prior to the reboot). Something drastic would have had to end their relationship. Also, ask yourself this: why would Gogol, and not a Czechoslovakian official, have to give her a special pass? The guy headed up the KGB; he can lie with ease because the KGB literally trained its personnel to lie convincingly.

It also goes toward Bond's ambiguous tone in the beginning of LTK. Prior to Felix's mutilation and Della's rape and death, he's still pretty cold, though is fighting it (yeah, I know it's Dalton's acting, but it's called an "in-universe explanation"). The Soviet prison reforms haven't officially been made yet, though they look probable; he may even have a source in Pushkin telling him that they're inevitable. But in all this time, he's been drinking and womanizing to ease the pain. It would also explain just how easily and how violently he snapped; if there was already something weighing him down, it would be that much easier. By the time Kara is freed, LTK is over and Bond can see no future between the two of them. There's my dark little theory. Take it for what you will.
    By the way, are you gonna eat that?
    Well, I think you all know my re-stated (multiple times) theory that Orlov was the de facto main bad guy in OP. So I really don't think I need to state it a fourth time, do I? I mean I'll explain the details if asked, but it's also not that out there...it was outright stated in the movie after all that he furnished the bomb and implied REALLY heavily that Kamal just didn't care about human life rather than being a Soviet patriot to the point of mental instability (or for that matter being anything more than a financier for the bomb plot; he just wanted his money).

But there's another one that's quite a bit darker that I've believed. It fits well with the tone of the two films Timothy Dalton did. So here it is: Gogol never quit the KGB. Sure, he may not have been physically fit enough to lead it, but he maintained all his contacts. As such, at the end of TLD, when Kara goes back to Czechoslovakia, the StB arrest her and deport her to the USSR, where she serves time in a prison for her association with Koskov as well as her association with the Mujahedeen. The USSR makes sure she's healthy since they don't want an enemy of Bond, and Pushkin can basically tell Bond it's nothing personal; and that Gogol authorized the arrest in the first place. She was then released in 1989 with Gorbachev's reforms to the prison system.

Okay, so, why do I think this? Simple: Kara and Bond seemed closer than anyone since Tracy and Bond (and closer than anyone else prior to the reboot). Something drastic would have had to end their relationship. Also, ask yourself this: why would Gogol, and not a Czechoslovakian official, have to give her a special pass? The guy headed up the KGB; he can lie with ease because the KGB literally trained its personnel to lie convincingly.

It also goes toward Bond's ambiguous tone in the beginning of LTK. Prior to Felix's mutilation and Della's rape and death, he's still pretty cold, though is fighting it (yeah, I know it's Dalton's acting, but it's called an "in-universe explanation"). The Soviet prison reforms haven't officially been made yet, though they look probable; he may even have a source in Pushkin telling him that they're inevitable. But in all this time, he's been drinking and womanizing to ease the pain. It would also explain just how easily and how violently he snapped; if there was already something weighing him down, it would be that much easier. By the time Kara is freed, LTK is over and Bond can see no future between the two of them. There's my dark little theory. Take it for what you will.

Why would Bond be bothered about Soviet Prisons?

Perhaps if he were powerless to get someone out whom he cared for, he might have a problem with it?

Perhaps if he were powerless to get someone out whom he cared for, he might have a problem with it?

I have always felt that after the Death of Tracy and him Mourning her loss (Even though we never do see him do it) affected his Relationships with Woman to follow. He never really committed to another Girl as much like he did with Tracy.
    edited November 2013

I have always felt that after the Death of Tracy and him Mourning her loss (Even though we never do see him do it) affected his Relationships with Woman to follow. He never really committed to another Girl as much like he did with Tracy.

Yes, but you asked about Soviet prisons, a.k.a. hellholes. In pre-Craig continuity, Bond did have enough sympathy for his allies and those that helped him (like Kara) that he would presumably feel awful about them winding up in a Soviet prison if they were mere bystanders in the grand scheme of things (as Kara was).

That, and continuity is frankly so loose and so bad between different actors that the only acknowledgements we even had of Tracy's existence being a sensitive subject came during the Moore era. Look at when Alec Trevelyan taunts Bond with his own past in GE, for example.

Brosnan's Bond was admittedly a semi-reboot, but I wonder to what degree; certainly Tracy wasn't written out. And yet, Trevelyan goes for the jugular by suggesting that Bond can't help himself from womanizing and drinking by his own failures, especially failures to protect the women he'd had in the first place. Given Bond's reaction, it seemed to hit a nerve.
  • GoldenEye85GoldenEye85 Posts: 278MI6 Agent
    I don't know if this qualifies, but after giving some thought about it, what if all the James Bond actors aren't playing a "different" James Bond, but the same Bond at different points in his career?

Hear me out on this one:

Daniel Craig - Bond is at the very beginning of his career. He's very trigger happy, over confident, under-skilled, and overly emotional.

George Lazenby - Now this one is a little tougher since he only did one. Bond is still early in his career and still has a lot of the traits from Craig's take.

Timothy Dalton - He is a lot more honed in on his skills and has greatly improved in the other areas, but still lets his emotions choose his direction in approaching his missions.

Pierce Brosnan - Much, much better in most respects of his experience, a very little slice of emotion, once in a while might drive his choice in handling his mission. A lot more sure of himself in most ways.

Sean Connery - No emotion whatsoever! If he wants the answer, he'll beat it out of you, Craig has that too.

Roger Moore - He's been at the job for a very long time. Has a long, successful career of stopping some of the worlds most notorious villains, with some of the craziest plans for either world domination or extortion. And is probably close to the point where he could either retire, or be the one to either train his successor, or become the next leader of MI6.

There is more that could be said, but since I haven't seen some of Connery and Moore's films that much....yet, I really can't give much more than that. However, I think that since all the bases have been covered, I think, if this were to be believed, that the only thing to do would be to expand on these six areas, the thing is, would they let someone play the role long enough again to expand on Roger Moore's segment?
    1, GE 2, CR 3, SF 4, TWINE 5, Spectre 6, TMWTGG 7, DAD 8, LALD 9, AVTAK 10, LTK 11, Octopussy 12, Moonraker 13, TLD 14, GF 15, QOS 16, Tomorrow 17, FYEO 18. TSWLM Not seen much: Dr. No, Russia, Thunderball, Twice, Majesty.

1: Brosnan 2: Craig 3: Moore 4: Dalton 5: Connery and 6: Lazenby
  • jimmyunderscorebondjimmyunderscorebond Posts: 16MI6 Agent
    He made a film in 1997 called the edge. It was surprisingly decent.
    WHAT ! Has no one seen xxx 2 :))
    There are two seperate timelines that coexist within the universe. Imagine that this whole thing is
    A choose your own adventure story. The two timelines both start with the first five connery films,
    but at this point you can go down two seperate paths and one is considerably shorter than the other.
    The "main" timeline skips OHMSS and any other films that mention tracy, this connects YOLT to DAF
    more easily and the main timeline continues along its merry way. The "revenge and depression"
    timeline skips DAF and any other films that don't mention tracy. In this time line, OHMSS is followed by for your eyes only and that is folowed by the spy who loved me, then the timeline continues with the dalton and brosnan films.
    I believe that the Daniel Craig bond is actually Red Grant and he tries to kill the sean connery bond so he can have revenge for being replaced.
  • AirJordanFan93AirJordanFan93 Posts: 92MI6 Agent
    This makes sense.
  • TheLazenbyTheLazenby Posts: 37MI6 Agent
    What quirky Bond movie fan theory do you have? One of the more popular ones is that James Bond is really a codename given to different men with a similar set of character traits and background. Here's one I've found circulating: there was never a Teresa (aka Tracy) Bond in the loose continuity of Connery Bond movies, in much the same way there would likely never be a Tracy Bond in the continuity of the Craig Bond movies and beyond, with Vesper being the albatross round the neck instead. In the PTS for Diamonds Are Forever Connery Bond was really tracking Blofeld down to avenge the accidental assassination of Aki in You Only Live Twice, which makes sense considering Aki's poisoning was as comparably tragic to see as Tracy's fatal headshot on her honeymoon drive and Vesper's self-inflicted death by drowning. Connery Bond was stricken by grief and loss in You Only Live Twice and Diamonds Are Forever, but it seemed more like the more bottled up grief of losing a close comrade during a war than a wife on a honeymood. And Blofeld in that continuity never left that oil rig alive.

I choose to look at the changing Bond actors like this... I typed up a big explanation of this once, but I don't have it handy! Nevertheless, it goes something like this:

SIR JAMES BOND HIMSELF: David Niven
    The true, one and only, orrrriginal.... Jamessh Bond. ;-)

FIRST KNOWN NAMESAKE - JOHN PATRICK MASON: Sean Connery
    Obviously meant as the b-b-bounder to whom Niven's name and number were given.
    As Connery's character in "The Rock" was fully intended to be an aged Bond, I'm willing to believe what we learn in that movie as his life following "Diamonds Are Forever." I consider "Never Say Never Again" to be nothing more than an 'alternate universe' "Thunderball"; same characters, different faces, not the same canon as the rest of the films.

SECOND KNOWN NAMESAKE - COOPER: Terence Cooper

THIRD KNOWN NAMESAKE - EVELYN TREMBLE: Peter Sellers
    This is about where I put a limit on the CR67 "Bonds"; I'm willing to consider Cooper and Tremble alongside the other official 'namesakes'. I don't count Jimmy Bond, Moneypenny, Vesper Lynd or The Detainer in the grand total; besides, Jimmy Bond was never part of the plan to rename all agents "James Bond 007". Neither Moneypenny or The Detainer are ever actually referred to as "James Bond 007" within the story, anyway.

FOURTH KNOWN NAMESAKE: George Lazenby / Roger Moore
    Yes, I do believe that these are the same Bond. Both were married to Tracy, and that works for me. I honestly can see an evolution between the two portrayals happening, without a major stretch of the imagination.

FIFTH KNOWN NAMESAKE: Timothy Dalton
    I used to believe that Timothy was *also* playing the fourth namesake; he also knows Hedison's Leiter, and he was said to be married at one point. But his wife is never explicitly stated to be Tracy, and his looks and personality are just so far off from Moore's it's impossible to make a connection.

SIXTH KNOWN NAMESAKE: Pierce Brosnan
    Sixth as far as the chronology of film releases may go, but technically, began his service at some point before the events of "The Living Daylights" occurred for Dalton's Bond.

SEVENTH KNOWN NAMESAKE: Daniel Craig
    Obviously a newcomer, who only began his service in 2006.

UNKNOWN CONNECTION: Barry Nelson
    There's really no place to put poor Barry, really - he's American, he works for the CIA rather than HMSS, and is never even referred to as 007. Believe it or not, I've seen a fan theory that Barry is in fact a younger version of David Niven, but the change of nationality makes that difficult.