James Bond London Experience

Gooday All,

I'm a huge James Bond fan and will be visiting London soon (I arrive December 3rd). I have never been to London and was wondering if I could get some advice on how make use of my time in London experiencing all things 007.

I know that the walk tour is not held in the winter which is a shame, I would have definitely done this.

But is there anything else on in regards to Bond...tours? Events?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks All.

Comments

• PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    edited December 2013
    If you've never been before, I wouldn't waste my time on anything Bond-related; it's one of the oldest and most glorious cities in the world with far more important things to see. Save 007 for a later trip.

That said, there are no organized tours but if you can get yourself a copy of On the Tracks of 007 or Gary Giblin's James Bond's London either can guide you to various sites and save enormous time hunting or thinking you've found a site only to learn it wasn't.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    You could tie in a look at the MI6 building with a visit to the newly refurbished art gallery Tate Britain, on the opposite, north side of the Thames.

St Paul's feels Bondian, and would have been in OHMSS but wasn't. All the area around there is great, with landmarks like the Shard, Tate Modern and Tower Bridge on view. Nearby is the lift featuring in DAF, the Amsterdam scene, though I have yet to see it, you'll find info about that on another thread.

It's true that the whole Bond thing is tangential really in London. I mean, there is the College of Arms as seen in OHMSS but who cares really.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Just wandering around as a tourist you will easily bump into all things Bond

Do you have a smartphone?? Last time I was in London I just whacked / bookmarked places on Google Maps etc have a quick look now and you will find yourself near something!!!

Make a list
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • JellyfishJellyfish EnglandPosts: 462MI6 Agent
    Reviving a bit of an old thread here. I visited London for the first time last month, and got to see a few Bond sights:

MI6 Building from across the Thames:
    MI6_Building_001.jpg

I had no idea you could get this close to it:
    MI6_Building_003.jpg

The National Gallery. I went in to look at Turner's Fighting Temeraire (from the first meeting between Bond and Q in Skyfall) only to be told that the room was closed due to industrial action, and would reopen the day after I left. Boo!
    National_Gallery.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is the same Underground Station entrance/exit that DC runs out of during M's Tennyson speech:
    Westminster_Station_003.jpg
    Sorry it's not the right way round.
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Just wandering around as a tourist you will easily bump into all things Bond

Do you have a smartphone?? Last time I was in London I just whacked / bookmarked places on Google Maps etc have a quick look now and you will find yourself near something!!!

Make a list

Exactly! You don't need a Bond tour to stumble across Bond locations whilst on the tourist trail. There are loads of hidden Bond gems including; OHMSS - The Royal College of Arms near St Pauls Cathedral. The iconic Lazenby press release photo in front of Big Ben. DAD - Boat chase along the Thames, Millenium Dome.The secret entrance to the undeground on Westminster Bridge. All the Skyfall locations... To name just a few!

So much to see and do in London, especially if it's your first visit. You'll have a great time! :007)
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Yes, I've been up the Thames in a speedboat ;) well it was a tourist launch, but
    In my mind it was the "Q" boat. :)) in fact for fans of any espionage films or TV
    Series, London is full of locations.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Keep forgetting The Royal College of Arms - next time!!!!
    PS - if your on Facebook join the group "On the tracks of 007". People visiting / finding the 007 locations and uploading their pics alongside the film footage. Its mighty impressive what still exists and somebody just done a huge tour of Portugal and tons of OHMSS locations. Ive been meaning to buy the book!
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Cheers for pointing that Group out :)
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent
    Yes, I've been up the Thames in a speedboat ;) well it was a tourist launch, but
    In my mind it was the "Q" boat. :)) in fact for fans of any espionage films or TV
    Series, London is full of locations.

Me too! {[] And the same thought was running through my mind.. :007)
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
    :)) did you do the door for lost agents ? My wife firstly couldn't understand why
    I wanted a photo of " a door" 8-) and it was funny as everyone else was photographing
    The house of commons. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    :)) did you do the door for lost agents ? My wife firstly couldn't understand why
    I wanted a photo of " a door" 8-) and it was funny as everyone else was photographing
    The house of commons. :D

+1. My mrs and kids were puzzled :))
  • stagstag Posts: 2,083MI6 Agent
    There's Ian Flemings London home too. I have a photo of me standing in front of it taken somewhere. I can't remember the address though as it was thirty or so years ago.

As I recall it still had the anchor(?) door knocker bought by IF on it which was mentioned in a book or two. If it had been dark I would have prised it off! (only joking!)

As said I can't remember the location but it's central (Kensingston perhaps?)
    I've just found this, there are a few London locations mentioned, I hope it is of some use.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/starsandstories/3673505/The-Ian-Fleming-map-of-Britain.html
    Nice find -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:
    There's Ian Flemings London home too. I have a photo of me standing in front of it taken somewhere. I can't remember the address though as it was thirty or so years ago.

As I recall it still had the anchor(?) door knocker bought by IF on it which was mentioned in a book or two. If it had been dark I would have prised it off! (only joking!)

Ooh, if you could get that info... that would be great. Next time I'm in London on a Bond walkabout, I'll add it to my list. ;)
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    Lexi wrote:
    stag wrote:

I'll try and find it for you. It was a townhouse as I recall. Thinking about it perhaps located in Knightsbridge. I don't think it was far from Pall Mall going towards Harrods. As said it was many years ago. I'll have a hunt for the photo.

Ooh, if you could get that info... that would be great. Next time I'm in London on a Bond walkabout, I'll add it to my list. ;)
    Lexi wrote:
    stag wrote:

I'll try and find it for you. It was a townhouse as I recall. Thinking about it perhaps located in Knightsbridge. I don't think it was far from Pall Mall going towards Harrods. As said it was many years ago. I'll have a hunt for the photo.

Damn phone! Just made a reply & the thing didn't send!!!
    Back on the laptop! Now I've had time to think I believe it was Knightsbridge, somewhere roughly between Buckingham Palace & Harrods, one of those little squares of townhouses. I shall try to find the address. As said it's been a long time but I do remember the door knocker! I'll see if I can find the photo.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    edited March 2015
    Fleming lived at Ebury Street and Victoria Square. Two minutes walk from each other.

If you start off at Bond's fictional address of 30 Wellington Sq, and walk up the Kings Road, over Sloane Square to Eaton Sq, you can walk through the 9 Eaton Terrace Mews where Muriel Wright (Moo) was killed during WW2 and onto Ebury St, (you'll sadly be walking in Flemings footsteps to 22b then, as he must have done many times when seeing Moo, and on discovering her death too). You can then go to 16 Victoria Sq where disapointingly the new owner has removed Flemings anchor door knocker. It's one of my favourite fleming walks.

He lived at Ebury St, during the war, and when he married Anne and moved to Victoria Sq, that was teh address he lived when writing the novels and till his death.

After Victoria Sq, you can walk past Buck Palace, down the Mall to Whitehall and the Admiralty and home to Room 39 NID (Horseguards Parade) where Fleming worked. You're then in Bond film/literary territory everywhere you walk after that. MI6, MI5, Lazenby's lampost, the DAD forgotten agent door, Craig's run from Whitehall Underground and up etc etc etc.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    I've found this (as mentioned in the newspaper article).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brighton/2875339126/?rb=1

You can also drop by here for a drink:

http://www.dukeshotel.com/foodanddrink-dukesbar.php

After looking on the net I've found the address:

22 Ebury Street, Belgravia,

Not as I remember at all, time plays tricks on the memory. I must have gone somewhere else too beacuse I distinctly remember the town house being in a Square. Anyway here's a very interesting link:

http://jamesbondmemes.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/blue-plaques-guide-to-ian-fleming-and.html
    I'm in London next weekend in fact, so I'll see if I have Time to visit Flemings Address -{
    Thanks Stag. This will be a big help to anyone planning
    A trip to London. -{
    Please post a photo if possible & look out for the distinctive door knocker (I'm sure it was in the shape of an anchor).
    I will {[]
    Oh I now read via ASP that the door knocker has gone. Shame. There's the blue plaque though.
    stag wrote:

I still ain't done Dukes and Scotts - always too much to do in London lol
    stag wrote:
    Please post a photo if possible & look out for the distinctive door knocker (I'm sure it was in the shape of an anchor).

Check my post above.
    welshboy78 wrote:
    stag wrote:

I still ain't done Dukes and Scotts - always too much to do in London lol

Scott's isn't worth it anymore. It's lost everything it used to be. The old Scott's was a fantastic place and I really miss it. I could have lived in the bar downstairs.
    stag wrote:
    Oh I now read via ASP that the door knocker has gone. Shame. There's the blue plaque though.

Nope, the owners wouldn't allow it. You can only find it at Ebury St now :(