New FLEMING TV Show

hthomashthomas Philadelphia, PAPosts: 833MI6 Agent
Has anyone seen this? I am really excited about it.
I just wonder how accurate this will be of his life.

Here is the trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKmSGsKJtww
instagram.com/dressinglikebond

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,525Chief of Staff
    Yes, there is a thread from months back about this...looking at the trailer its not going to be that accurate ! Plenty of scope for kinky sex if they do keep it real though B-)
    YNWA 97
  • Kent007Kent007 Posts: 338MI6 Agent
    The fact the trailer ends with someone saying to Fleming, "Bond, that's what you should call him" would suggest it's not too accurate but I'll still give it a watch out of interest.
    "You are about to wake when you dream that you are dreaming"
  • hthomashthomas Philadelphia, PAPosts: 833MI6 Agent
    Kent007 wrote:
    The fact the trailer ends with someone saying to Fleming, "Bond, that's what you should call him" would suggest it's not too accurate but I'll still give it a watch out of interest.

Yeah it gave a lot away there! haha. But it does seem to try and portray the lifestyle. Should be interesting for sure!
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I am looking forward to seeing it, but I don't think accuracy is high on the maker's list of concerns. I suspect there might be a bit of truth there if you look closely enough, but it's likely to be extremely loosely based on fact.
  • DEFIANT 74205DEFIANT 74205 Perth, AustraliaPosts: 1,881MI6 Agent
    Agreed on the lack of accuracy, but I think I'd still watch it. Maybe some parts of the TV series are accurate.

I don't understand why they bothered doing this if they weren't going to be accurate with the story. Given that this was based on a real person and real events, they could easily mislead people into believing that their depiction is accurate when in fact it's anything but.
    "Watch the birdie, you bastard!"
    I don't understand why they bothered doing this if they weren't going to be accurate with the story. Given that this was based on a real person and real events, they could easily mislead people into believing that their depiction is accurate when in fact it's anything but.

American movies have been doing this for years 8-)
    YNWA 97
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    As others have pointed out, I'll watch it but I don't expect it to be very accurate. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I see that it's debuting in the US on Wednesday January 29th on BBC America. Can't see any date for anywhere else yet.
  • Mr MalloryMr Mallory North by northwestPosts: 632MI6 Agent
    I'd be very interested in this program.
    What makes you think this is my first time?
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia, PAPosts: 753MI6 Agent
    In London on business and just saw a promo for this. Jealous of anyone who will be able to watch this. Hope it comes to netflix at somepoint!
    In London on business and just saw a promo for this. Jealous of anyone who will be able to watch this. Hope it comes to netflix at somepoint!

Don't be jealous...it's on in the US starting Wednesday January 29th on BBC America.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia, PAPosts: 753MI6 Agent

Don't be jealous...it's on in the US starting Wednesday January 29th on BBC America.

Great news! Cheers {[]
    I'm sure it would get a blu ray/dvd release.
    hthomas wrote:
    I'm sure it would get a blu ray/dvd release.

BBC are pretty good at releasing their programmes on DVD quite quickly after they have aired everywhere. I am pretty sure we'll see it available by the summer at the latest.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Kent007 wrote:

That puts a dampener on it straight away lol.

Oh well something new to watch I suppose and like Sir Miles mentions - wonder if any of kinky Flemings pastimes get slotted in :))
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    Well you can spank my bottom if they are included. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Hopefully it has some decent eye candy in it then!
    This is the description of episode one:

Season: 1 | Episode: 1 | Air Date: 29 January, 2014

"In London, 1938, Ian Fleming is a dissolute playboy, eclipsed by his dead war hero father and successful brother."

"While propping up the bar at a jazz club, he meets Ann O’Neill, an alluring socialite. Unlike many of his conquests, Ann is more than a match for him. She already has a husband and a lover, Esmond Rothermere."

"Fleming finds solace in the arms of a beautiful dispatch rider named Muriel. Following a frosty morning-after encounter with Muriel, Fleming’s domineering mother secures him a job assisting Naval Intelligence’s Admiral John Godfrey. He quickly incurs Godfrey’s wrath when he cooks up an unorthodox scheme to get information from two captured German submariners. However, Fleming’s valuable findings make it apparent that an imaginative approach could be just what the war effort requires."

Not exactly an inspiring synopsis. Fleming's mother played a minimal role in his acquisition of the NID job. To suggest that she secured "him a job assisting Naval Intelligence's Admiral John Godfrey" is grossly inaccurate and doesn't bode well for the rest of the series at all.

Hopefully it will at least be entertaining, but from the little we know it already has three strikes:

- The casting of Dominic Cooper who, in no way, shape or form, resembles Fleming.
    - The ridiculous "Bond, that's what you should call him" which is completely and totally false.
    - The assertion that Fleming's domineering mother got him the job as Admiral Godfrey's assistant.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Instead of doing a Flemming TV Series, how about making Faithful small Screen Adaptations of the Novels? Even though there would have to be Discussions with Eon and everything.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Instead of doing a Flemming TV Series, how about making Faithful small Screen Adaptations of the Novels? Even though there would have to be Discussions with Eon and everything.

I remember posting on that very subject about 10 years ago...I recall there was some newspaper talk of Liam Neeson doing (i think) something along those lines way back when too...would be nice...
    YNWA 97
    Set to air in the UK on Sky Atlantic HD on Wednesday February 12th at 9pm.
    Very fitting it would be ( I'm guessing ) to celebrate my five year anniversary at AJB. ;) :))
    I wield awesome power TP and pulled a few favours with the programmers just for you. ;)

Shame you didn't ask for a DB5 for your anniversary instead! :v
    :)) my needs are Simple, as is my thought process. :D
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,225Chief of Staff
    my five year anniversary at AJB. ;) :))

Doesn't time go quickly when you're having fun! A trifle early, but my congratulations to you TP.

(Once, years ago, I pointed out to Hardyboy that a certain thread had been before my time- he responded that it seemed like I'd been here forever.... :)) and in a roundabout way I'd like to dedicate that compliment to you too!)
    :)) I like to think I'm like that Odd smell, that you just can't figure out where it's coming from. :D
    tonight is the night for us in the USA!
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    So what was the verdict?? Good or crap?
    I really enjoyed it. As a show I think it's a solid start. For Bond fans, they will love the nods and tibits from source material that are well throughout. Tons of James Bond things through the first episode. Looking forward to the rest!