Similarities between Dr No and LALD

ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
Having just watched LALD again I couldn't help noticing Roger Moore's first
Bond film had many elements from Sean Connery's, whether deliberate or
accidentally.
In Both we see Bond's home. Both have Bond having his arrival at the airport
interrupted, both end up on the villains island. In both Bond gets attacked in his
hotel room by an animal. Both have villains or henchmen with metal hands or
hand. In both Bond shags a bird he knows is working for the villain.
I'm sure many have noticed this before me, just thought it a bit of a coincidence. :))
"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Both were filmed in Jamaica; both feature Quarrel and Felix, who are seen in a small boat; both have Bond sent to find out what happened to missing agents; in both Bond is briefed in the early hours.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) yes, even more.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    Well If we go back to the original Fleming novels, LALD came straight after Dr No, so perhaps this is why.
    I think Dr No happens a few years after LALD in the novels.
    Too much aussie sun and beer might be clouding your
    memory, Strangeways ;) :))
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Both actors looked at their best in the role.
  • Mr MalloryMr Mallory North by northwestPosts: 632MI6 Agent
    Both actors first film
    What makes you think this is my first time?
    ...... and no Q, in either film. :D
    ...... and no Q, in either film. :D

Only by a technicality TP- Major Boothroyd does appear in DN to disparage Bond's Beretta and issue his Walther PPK. Granted he isn't referred to as Q.
    Agreed, he's called the armourer. So in my world he's not Q. :))
    ( in my world things don't have to make sense :D )
    :)) :)) :))
  • Smiert-SpionamSmiert-Spionam Posts: 318MI6 Agent
    Both plots involve Bond investigating the deaths of fellow agents.
    Both end up with the villains lair being blown sky high.
    Smiert Spionam
  • Smiert-SpionamSmiert-Spionam Posts: 318MI6 Agent
    Oh and both films don't introduce Bond until after the PTS (or in Dr No's case the first couple of scenes).
    Smiert Spionam
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Both films and only two films where we see Bond's flat and he has a girl there both times.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    And in both we see Bond wearing a distinctive Chesterfiield overcoat with a velvet collar, if I'm not mistaken - and the only time either is seen wearing one.

http://clothesonfilm.com/live-and-let-die-roger-moore-chesterfield-coat/2400/

http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/?p=1563. (Great site btw, Matt. -{ )
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Both have a non-Barry soundtrack yet use his Bond theme... both villains die wet, but not from drowning (I'm assuming Dr, No died from severe radiation first).
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    Summary (please add any I’ve missed!):

Both start with the deaths of British agents, before we meet Bond.
    Both have scenes in Bond’s flat early on, where he... er... romances an attractive lady.
    M briefs Bond in the very early hours of the morning.
    M sends Bond to investigate the death of the British agents.
    Bond arrives at an airport and is picked up by a driver who dies soon afterwards.
    Bond is attacked in his hotel room by an animal placed there by a henchman.
    Quarrel* and Felix assist Bond, and both are seen in scenes with a small boat.
    A treacherous femme fatale lures Bond to a fatal encounter. He knows it’s a trap but goes along with it anyway to ...er... romance the lady concerned and manages to overcome the villain’s trap.
    Major parts of the story are filmed in Jamaica.
    The villain scares away visitors by using fear of the supernatural.
    The villain uses the title “Dr” and runs a Caribbean island.
    A major evil character has a metal hand/hands.
    The villain & Bond fight near/in water.

*LALD (novel) happens before DN (novel) but the film order is reversed. Since Quarrel dies in DN, the character in LALD (film) is called Quarrel Jr.

Non-plot and perhaps unavoidable:
    DN introduces Connery, LALD introduces Moore.
    John Barry didn’t compose the score, only compo... er... arranging the Theme.
    The coat C&D mentions.
    A song composed for the film turns up in-story.

Now I agree that a few of the points may be coincidence, and some may be applied to other Bond movies, but there are a lot of them!
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    *LALD (novel) happens before DN (novel) but the film order is reversed. Since Quarrel dies in DN, the character in LALD (film) is called Quarrel Jr.

As I've never read either of the books, is Quarrel in both Dr No and Live And Let Die? So did the film makers want quarrel for LALD as well, so created the character or Quarrel Jr.?
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
    Yep!, Quarrel is in both stories, and in fact is written as Bond's equal. Sadly as
    He was murdered in Dr No, they obviously didn't want to invent a totally new character
    so went with his son, Quarrel Jr. For LALD.
    I think Quarrel is one of Fleming's best characters, and the reader genuinely feels Bond's sorrow when he's killed in DN. Kingsley Amis makes the point that Quarrel provides the warmth that Bond lacks (as do Kerim, Colombo (sic), Draco, Tanaka... but not Leiter).
    I remember a line about the look in Quarrel's eyes, that said he was no servant.
    If he cooked, trained and generally looked after Bond it would be as an equal.
    He and Bond do seem to share a friendship, and as a returning character his
    Death in Dr No is sad indeed. With Bond regretting having asked him to come along
    Even though Quarrel had bad feelings about it and had asked for some big insurance
    To look after his family. His friendship and loyalty to Bond, made him come.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    'I'm going to have a look at the Man you just murdered !'

Like Barbel said, you do feel for him after his Death.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    I love how Connery ( still a prisoner) starts giving orders and expecting to be obeyed. :D
    Bond is always the most " Alpha" of Males, in the room. :))
    Especially his Reaction to Honey being taken away -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    In the Book Goldfinger, Bond treats Oddjob with contempt, giving him orders etc.
    So I think Connery played this aspect of Bond perfectly. By the Time of LALD, the
    Times had changed, with Bond giving less military type instructions to people. ;)
    In regards to Bond asking quarrel to fetch his Shoes, I don't think anything racist was meant by it.
    I can understand why some do, it's certainly jaw dropping for a modern audience
    to hear, but I've worked for a few posh people and that's how they talk to the staff 8-)
    I know :#
    In regards to Bond asking quarrel to fetch his Shoes, I don't think anything racist was meant by it.

Bond isn't too polite to other people in DN, either- check his "And it'll stay that way!" to the police commissioner for example.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent

Perhaps not, but it certainly comes across that way. Maybe I'm especially sensitive to it as a Black man who has occasionally been spoken to that way by White people, but I wince every time I view that scene.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:

Bond isn't too polite to other people in DN, either- check his "And it'll stay that way!" to the police commissioner for example.

He is abrupt to him. He's also off with Leiter as well, even though it has been established that they are on the same side.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"