Elvis is a joke!

DieAnotherDayDieAnotherDay Glasgow, ScotlandPosts: 460MI6 Agent
edited January 2014 in The James Bond Films
I'm actually pretty confused by Elvis from QoS. I seem to remember that there was even a promotional movie poster of him back in 2008, building up to the fact that we were going to see a worthwhile henchman again but .... What Happened?!? He's the most superficial, pointless henchman ever! I don't get why Marc Forster acted as if he was an important part of the film; it leads me to think he was originally going to have far more screentime and actually DO something. Maybe there were deleted scenes with him expanding upon the character (Like Gupta) or maybe his whole character was basically scrapped early on, I just don't understand why they would include such a lacklustre henchman in a series that's known for it's memorable, unique henchmen.
....and the best he ever managed was a sermon on the mount.

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,418Chief of Staff
    Was he a henchman ? I thought he was more of a 'fixer' or the 'paperwork' guy.
    YNWA 97
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Elvis is an odd character ( so very Fleming :)) ) For me he's more along the lines of
    Trueman Lodge from LTK, as already posted a "Fixer", After all Greene had a couple of
    Big blokes as Henchmen.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Whatever Elvis was intended to be, he was a complete waste in the film I saw. He certainly wasn't physically imposing or threatening in any way, nor did he come across as particularly clever or useful. The only thing memorable about him was his awful haircut. A real misfire if you ask me.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    His haircut makes him cool. :))
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    He only got the job because he was Greene's cousin. He did nothing for me as a henchman. His death in the eco hotel was the only memorable moment for me
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    He only got the job because he was Greene's cousin. He did nothing for me as a henchman. His death in the eco hotel was the only memorable moment for me

I enjoyed when Fields tripped him on the stairs.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    that was good as well, especially when his wig flew off :))
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • DieAnotherDayDieAnotherDay Glasgow, ScotlandPosts: 460MI6 Agent
    Maybe then, he was meant to be a comedy relief character
    :)) It's hard to pin down just what Elvis was supposed to be. It was a very under written
    part, neither henchman or comic character. A little creepy perhaps but that's about it.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,704MI6 Agent
    Elvis isn't a joke - perhaps that the real problem? He was ment to be funny, but he was just boring.
    He is possibly the worst henchman in Bond history. If they want a scary henchman they should go to Fleming. The backstory of Red Grant in FRWL has never been used. There he is a serial killer psycopath who was recruited, trained and employed by SMERSH. Simply a man who loves to kill who gets the backing of a huge crimminal organisation if he kills exclusively for them.

Here is a another idea for a henchman: a large, muscular African who is an albino. In southern Africa albinos are surronded by superticion and many of them have been killed so their body parts can be used for magical puropses. Imagine is this albino was rescued by the villan from a murdrous crowd, making him fantacally loyal to the villan.
  • Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    Tbh I found myself more annoyed with the Gregory Beam character ... particularly on the plane.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,704MI6 Agent
    I think Beam was OK. He was a CIA-man who was caught up in politics instead of real inteligence work and served a place in the plot.
    It was more to do with his mannerisms & the portrayal that narked me. Not really got a clue as to why it bugs me, but it just does!

Had no problem with the role or detail of the Beam character whatsoever.
    Why do people think Elvis is/was a henchman ? He clearly isn't.
    YNWA 97
    "The estranged cousin of the villainous Dominic Greene, Elvis fills the role of Chief of Security for his sadistic relative. Willing to put himself in the face of danger for Greene, Elvis is a trusted companion and henchman for his scheming cousin."

That's his profile on the MI6: Villains page
    From what I saw of him, he couldn't bounce in Mothercare - let alone putting himself in the face of danger for Greene!
    "The estranged cousin of the villainous Dominic Greene, Elvis fills the role of Chief of Security for his sadistic relative. Willing to put himself in the face of danger for Greene, Elvis is a trusted companion and henchman for his scheming cousin."

MI6 villains page ?

You are still stuck on the 'henchman' as being a big, beefy bodyguard...not the Chief of Security type that he's listed as...most security chiefs don't do the actual 'work' themselves...they are responsible for organising the 'team'....
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:

MI6 villains page ?

You are still stuck on the 'henchman' as being a big, beefy bodyguard...not the Chief of Security type that he's listed as...most security chiefs don't do the actual 'work' themselves...they are responsible for organising the 'team'....

I'm not stuck on that definition of a henchman really - but I do think that a henchman/chief of security should actually be seen doing something in the film to show his loyalty to Greene whether it be him chasing after bond (without falling down a flight of stairs), fight bond or at least be seen efficiently protecting Greene in some form or another.
    I'm not stuck on that definition of a henchman really - but I do think that a henchman/chief of security should actually be seen doing something in the film to show his loyalty to Greene whether it be him chasing after bond (without falling down a flight of stairs), fight bond or at least be seen efficiently protecting Greene in some form or another.

Reading through your posts you definitely give that impression...

He didn't fall down the steps whilst going after Bond either....he was tripped - surely you saw that ?
    He's down as Greene's cousin, you said ? So more likely in place because of his dependable loyalty rather than his 'muscle' kills....and he does wait for Bond with a gun...
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:

Reading through your posts you definitely give that impression...

He didn't fall down the steps whilst going after Bond either....he was tripped - surely you saw that ?
    He's down as Greene's cousin, you said ? So more likely in place because of his dependable loyalty rather than his 'muscle' kills....and he does wait for Bond with a gun...

Each to their own I s'pose :) I Just feel he was made to be a laughing stock in the film. Underwhelming to the extreme.
    Don't forget that these are only a small part of a much larger organisation...they could pull 'muscle' from the main group whenever they wanted too...that was the role Elvis probably filled...
    YNWA 97
    Give me Boris Grishenko any day of the week! :))
    This is me making up my own Back story but I think Elvis was
    good at torture in a Rosa Kledd kind of way, it just wasn't shown. :))
  • ZorinIndustriesZorinIndustries United StatesPosts: 837MI6 Agent
    This is me making up my own Back story but I think Elvis was
    good at torture in a Rosa Kledd kind of way, it just wasn't shown. :))
    :)) :))
    Perhaps he taught Le Chiffre a thing or two with that chair ;)
    "Better luck next time... slugheads!"

1. GoldenEye 2. Goldfinger 3. Skyfall 4. OHMSS 5. TWINE
  • ZorinIndustriesZorinIndustries United StatesPosts: 837MI6 Agent
    And Elvis really reminds me of that blonde guy from DAD. I can't even recall his name. It may have been mentioned once or twice in the film, but I just can't remember. They both seem very boring and unmemorable, and it seems that the plot would have moved along just as well without them.

"Boss... he beat your time." <--- That line did get a small chuckle outta me in the theater, I must admit to that :)
    "Better luck next time... slugheads!"

1. GoldenEye 2. Goldfinger 3. Skyfall 4. OHMSS 5. TWINE
    And Elvis really reminds me of that blonde guy from DAD. I can't even recall his name. It may have been mentioned once or twice in the film, but I just can't remember. They both seem very boring and unmemorable, and it seems that the plot would have moved along just as well without them.

"Boss... he beat your time." <--- That line did get a small chuckle outta me in the theater, I must admit to that :)

Aw yeah Vlad :)) He amounted to absolutely nothing...so much so I always forget about the poor soul. :D At least he had a purpose though: he did create a shed load of technology for Graves.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:

That's part of the problem, my friend - it isn't clear what Elvis is supposed to be!
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    And after the hotel explosion Bond didn't even quip, .....
    " Elvis has left the building " :))
    And after the hotel explosion Bond didn't even quip, .....
    " Elvis has left the building " :))

:)) :)) That kinda quip would've seemed so out of place in the film but I kind of wished they had added something like that just because it's traditional :007)
    Sir Miles wrote:

That's part of the problem, my friend - it isn't clear what Elvis is supposed to be!

Mmmm...but looking at his physique he sure ain't the big, butch henchman is he ? :))

I thought it seemed pretty clear that Elvis was the guy to whom Greene gave the orders and he carried them out...but then I seem to 'see' far more in QoS than most :D
    YNWA 97