ice station zebra

always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
watched the above the above film the other day (starring Patrick Mcgoohan) he is a British spy on a U,S submarine,
any way he is woken from his sleep by a U,S naval officer, and PM jumps to his feet ,grabs officer and points PPK in his face,
just as the captain ,Rock Hudson turns up , and he says to PM tell me do you always sleep with a gun under your pillow
any one elso notice that or have the film to look it up and verify it 8-)
By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?

Comments

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Yeas, I'm a massive fan of McGoohan and he would, IMO, have been a great choice for Bond if only he'd embraced the more, ahem, sanguine aspects of the role. Ice Station Zebra is a pretty decent movie and in that scene PM he really conveyed the knife-edge aspect of a spy.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Great film I watch it every time it's on. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent

me too, I must have seen it 20 times :)
    Spoiler alert (or spoiler question) - was he the double- agent or was it Boris Vaslov? I've also seen it at least 20 times since it was first on tv (the big Xmas Eve film one Xmas when I was a kid) and even have it on DVD, but I still can't work out whether when PM says "Dasvidanya" at the end, it's cos he was the double-agent or is being ironic...
    For me Boris  was the Russian agent,
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Paddy's pistol was a PPK.

Always figured the film portrayed John Drake's last mission before being taken to "The Village"

;)
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Spoiler alert (or spoiler question) - was he the double- agent or was it Boris Vaslov? I've also seen it at least 20 times since it was first on tv (the big Xmas Eve film one Xmas when I was a kid) and even have it on DVD, but I still can't work out whether when PM says "Dasvidanya" at the end, it's cos he was the double-agent or is being ironic...

I think he was being ironic ,to let the Russian colonel know he understood the lingo,i was sitting in a hotel bar in Fetiye once,
    and this Russian chappie,asked me if I knew what the time was, (he had seen my fab Rolex GMT :D ) and I replied ya ne mogu govorit, (I cant speak Russian) the look on his face was priceless , :) true story
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    This film is also one of my favorites, but then I'm a huge Maclean fan.
    It's a real pity they could not have done the arctic location scenes outside in real sunlight using ice machines instead of on a soundstage. It makes the whole third act seem so artificial for me (compare it to the scenes from Where Eagles Dare).

McGoohan turned down the Bond role because he didn't like the character and didn't want to get typecast. He would have made a good Bond - he was great in Secret Agent.
    This film is also one of my favorites, but then I'm a huge Maclean fan.

McGoohan turned down the Bond role because he didn't like the character and didn't want to get typecast. He would have made a good Bond - he was great in Secret Agent.

Yes he was great in SA (Danger Man as we call it). PM wasn't so worried about being typecast but he was a deeply religious and principled man (who originally planned to become a priest) and objected to what he viewed as Bond's womanising and casual attitude to guns and violence. I wonder what the Bond universe would look like now if PM had become Bond instead of Connery?
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    It can mean "Till we meet again" -- in which case, it was intended to be a rather chilling threat to the Colonel that their paths would inevitably cross again. Vaslov was the traitor.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Despite concerns about not being typecast, it's always been funny to me that McGoohan basically played the same character three times in a row -- Secret Agent, the Prisoner, and "Mr. Jones."
    I loved him in the many Colombo episodes he did, he played brilliantly
    against P Falk. :D some great shows.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,279Chief of Staff
    IMHO, McGoohan would have been a good choice as Bond BUT the series wouldn't have taken off as it did if he'd have been the first; perhaps he could have taken over the role from Connery in OHMSS?
  • TecoloteTecolote Mississippi,USAPosts: 121MI6 Agent
    There is a sort of connection between Ice Station Zebra and Thunderball. In 1962, the CIA, parachuted agents onto the Artctic ice to retrieve data, etc. from a Soviet "research" weather station. The data and the two operatives were recovered
    in three passes by a B17G owned by Intermountian Aviation, a CIA "proprietary" company, fitted with the Fulton Skyhook recovery system. The operation was dubbed Operation Coldfeet.
    That same plane was used to "recover" Bond and Domino and the end of the movie. The aircraft still survives, restored to WW2 configuration at the Evergren Aviation Museum in Mcminnvile, Oregon.

Regards,

Tecolote
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent

me too, I must have seen it 20 times :)

That's a good start. Howard Hughes watched it 150 times in a row.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    (compare it to the scenes from Where Eagles Dare).

Not to stray off topic, but I totally love that movie. I wish I had a JU-52.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK