My Impressions (So far) of Colonel Sun

AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
Started reading Colonel Sun Yesterday and currently at Chapter Three. I must say that the Book pretty much jumps into Action from the get go, more so then the Flemming Novels. I like how Continuity has been considered, as the first Chapter mentions Bonds Escapades in Japan and the USSR. Then gives us the Reference to Scaramanga's Derringer Bullet hitting Bonds Abdomen whilst he is playing Golf. It's a Shame that Kingsley Amis never wrote any more after this.
1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    It's a great book, the best of the continuing novels. I recently was told that the idea was to
    have several writers carrying on the novels but all using Robert Markham as their name. :D
    I'm re-reading all the Bond novels from the start ( Thunderball next ) so I'll be reading it again
    in a few months. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    It certainly starts off well and is beautifully written (about how many of the continuations can that be said?), and has a cracking reputation among lit Bond fans.

But....

I'll let the OP find out for himself.

Enjoy.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    It's on a different planet compared to every other continuation novel and I think that's for several reasons:

1) It was written at the same time as Fleming's books and therefore Amis had the benefit of living and feeling that era.

2) Amis was friends with Fleming. It's hard to beat that personal connection.

3) Kingsley Amis was the greatest author to tackle a Bond continuation novel.

It's not Fleming, but it's the closest we've had.
  • MustonMuston Huncote, Leicestershire Posts: 228MI6 Agent
    Absolutely loved Colonel Sun. I remember not being able to put it down. So much to enjoy, as Alpha says, it jumps straight into the action which is great. Was without doubt the most influential continuation novel to date. I enjoyed it more than some of Fleming's own works.
    "Thank you very much. I was just out walking my RAT and seem to have lost my way... "
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    I loved it too. It was so one of the few continuation novels which also included a terrifying torture scene, which frequently occurred in the Fleming novels, and many of the later authors avoided.

I first read Colonel Sun in the early 80s and it remains as memorable to me as the Fleming novels- great scenes, great heroine, great villain, and Bond at his best.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • lueth2048lueth2048 Posts: 120MI6 Agent
    I tool me three times to get past the first two chapters. Once I finally did, I really enjoyed it.
    There was a thread on Bond and religion, ( which I now can't find ) if he was a believer etc.
    I'm just re-reading Col Sun after many years and have just come upon a bit on the boat where
    Bond's mate makes a Greek prayer to get the engine going and Bond says something like
    " At times like this he wished he had something or someone to call on !"
    To me that's pretty obvious Bond is an Atheist, so yet another thing I have in common with him. :)) {[]
    it's like we were seperated at birth. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    :)) -{

I plan on reviewing Colonel Sun when I've done the Gardner's.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,208Chief of Staff
    There was a thread on Bond and religion, ( which I now can't find ) if he was a believer etc.

This one, Gerry? http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/44406/does-dcs-bond-believe-in-god/
    Now how'd I miss that, that blindness thing must be catching. ;) :)) Thanks. :))
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I might write up the NLF Review later -{