The Miami Vice Thread

Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
As Bondtots has his Magnum thread, I thought that another show was more fitting for recognition. Well actually two shows, but The Professionals is more widely known in the UK, so we'll concentrate on Miami Vice.

What's not to love. Cool cars, cool clothes, cool cool guns and Michael Manns pursuit to have them used and portrayed correctly. And last and best of all. Jan Hammer's music.

Rock on.

It was the use of the Mozambique drill that got me hooked. This is how you use a sidearm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA-xIssgT-o

Michael Mann would repeat this in Collateral. And fair play to Cruise as he must have trained hard to achieve these results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEFPcljAXgs
..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

Comments

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I'd love to disagree, but Miami Vice is great!!!

It was part of my youth and the definition of cool!
    I agree with everything that Asp9mm mentions above, but Tim Truman's music was adequate at least.
    I for my part prefer it to Hammer because it's even cooler and less "romantic".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJjGwhHFNow
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    Tim Truman did a great job.

Hugo Boss suits, Wayfarers, Persols and Daytona Spyder!!! Yeah baby.

post-7308-128503531942_zpsd98e63fa.jpg

But why oh why did they never release Tell Me by the late Terry Kath. A fitting song to end the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6CyHmNu9cI
    not to forget:

EBEL!

2ajxkww.jpg

And Rolex...

MiamiViceCoolRunnin-RolexPresidental.jpg
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    I loved Miami Vice to, I even named my first Rottweiler Crocket :D
    Asp9mm wrote:
    And Rolex...

MiamiViceCoolRunnin-RolexPresidental.jpg

I am pretty sure that we see a fake here. What would you say?

Hahaha, Crockett and Tubbs. You walked right into that :v
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    Cheeky Fooker :))
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:
    And Rolex...

I am pretty sure that we see a fake here. What would you say?

I'd say so.

MIami+Vice+Rolex+6.jpg

That's why they switched to Ebel later on. That was real. The clothing alone blew the budget for the first series. No wonder they went with fakes.

The original Daytona was a kit car and not a real Ferrari, and then they switched to a real Testarossa in the third series as Ferrari stepped in. My dad bought a black one in 84. He still has it. Beautiful.

std_1990_Ferrari_Testarossa-black-fVl-mx-.jpg
    edited March 2014
    Sorry to disagree with you, but in the first episodes (5 or so) you can see a REAL Daytona.
    The real one has little triangle- shaped windows on the side, the kitcar not.

I think, that I've read somewhere that the owner was not happy with the way his car has been "used" and did not give the car anymore. The Daytona back then was already the golden grale of Ferraris

Real Daytona:
    ferrari365gts4it73.jpg

Kit car:
    ferrari-daytona.jpeg

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,418Chief of Staff
    Miami Vice was one of my all time favs too...I only ever missed one episode - I was out that night and forgot to set the VCR X-(
    Loved the cool cars, clothes and music...what really drew me into this series was the original police chief being killed....back then every character had their turn at deaths door but always pulled through...it was a real shock when he didn't, it meant anything could happen...
    YNWA 97
    edited March 2014
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Sorry to disagree with you, but in the first episodes (5 or so) you can see a REAL Daytona.
    The real one has little triangle- shaped windows on the side, the kitcar not.

I think, that I've read somewhere that the owner was not happy with the way his car has been "used" and did not give the car anymore. The Daytona back then was already the golden grale of Ferraris

Nope, they were all kit cars apart a real one that had ten seconds in the pilot. The two fakes had slightly different Corvette chassis and parts. They never used a real Daytona as Sonny's car except for those few seconds. It was Ferrari that stepped in and provided two Testarossa's after seeing the publicity they got from the first two series and knowing that they weren't real. Originally they were black, but Mann thought white looked much cooler under the lights on a miami night shoot. Same reason he went for stainless pistols.

http://www.miamivicechronicles.com/miami-vice-ferraris-faq/

Check out the Miami Vice forums for a really in depth and boring autopsy of all the cars used and the differences they had. And I thought us Bond fans were anal.

During the first two seasons and two episodes from the third season, Detective Sonny Crockett drove a black 1972 Ferrari Daytona Spyder 365 GTS/4 replica with a Florida license plate ZAQ178.[2] Ferrari North America had turned down the request by Miami Vice for authentic Ferraris (they did the same with Magnum P.I., forcing that production to purchase 308 GTSs). Although Tom McBurnie is credited with planting the Daytona Spyder in the mind of the public, it was actually Al Mardekian, an importer of gray-market exoticars, who sold Miami Vice the two look-alike Ferraris for $49,000 each.[1] In total two Corvette Daytona replicas were used for the show, car 4 and then car 1 after the pilot which acted as the stunt car.[3] McBurnie was hired to build the bodies for the Corvette-chassised cars.[1] It was blown to pieces on the show with a hand-held Stinger missile launcher during an illegal arms deal.[4] The "Ferraris" used in the first two seasons were actually re-bodied Corvettes based on a 1976 Corvette (car 1) and a 1981 (car 4) Chevrolet Corvette C3 chassis that had been modified with fiberglass body panels by specialty car manufacturer McBurnie to resemble an early-1970s Ferrari Daytona Spider.[5] The first appearance of the Daytona in the pilot episode is actually a real Ferrari. It only gets about ten seconds of screen time. The car is stationary, and Sonny is sitting in the driver’s seat, reading a newspaper. It can be clearly identified as a real Daytona (American version) by the door handles, side markers, windshield rake, and side vent windows.
    I did read everything about the MV cars
    At least in the pilot you can see a real one - look at the small triangle window ;)

And I love it when you admit it that I have been right.- again! :p

Bondtoys wrote:

You were wrong. You said the first five episodes. You only see a real one for ten seconds... stationary, in the pilot. That's one episode, not five. Use all your fingers!!
    Check here for example:

http://www.miamiviceonline.com/vb4forum/archive/index.php/t-2944.html

As Cooper&Burnett mentions, I do own the Daytona "replica" (the "camera car") used in the series and in the pilot. I have talked with Tom McBurnie, builder of the car, and I believe that when Universal decided to do the Miami Vice series (with a pilot first to gauge acceptance), they needed a high-end sports car to fit Sonny's image. The Mardikian "replicas" were available and the producer knew of them. (Of course, as Jurassicnarc says, real Daytonas were very expensive, so the "replicas" made sense financially.) From what I understand they contracted with Mardikian to use the only one of the four "replica" cars painted black (probably thinking it would be used for stunts) and were then able to borrow the real Daytona. (I do not know if they found the black "real" Daytona first and then leased the "replica" or vice versa.) I have also heard that the owner of the "real" Daytona withdrew it from the filming due to concerns about its treatment. So, Universal was left with the "replica" and that is what they used. Then, when the series was accepted to go forward, then went back to Mardikian and leased a second Daytona and had it painted black (the '76, called the "stunt car").

Asp9mm wrote:
    Bondtoys wrote:

You were wrong. You said the first five episodes. You only see a real one for ten seconds... stationary, in the pilot. That's one episode, not five. Use all your fingers!!

I've said 5 or so.... :p

That's right. That was just for the pilot and it was only used in that scene when Sonny is sitting in it reading the paper. When the series was accepted and went ahead, they only used the replicas.

I really want one :#
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Bondtoys wrote:

I've said 5 or so.... :p

5 or so what???? ........ episodes, series, elephants, pygmy kangeroo handlers? I'm getting married in 5 or so....

Bondtots logic strikes again :s
    Asp9mm wrote:

The original Daytona was a kit car and not a real Ferrari

Contradicts with:
    Asp9mm wrote:
    You only see a real one for ten seconds... stationary, in the pilot.

:p

Shut up. You agreed with me about Dalton being all weepy eyed. So I win B-)
    I have been speaking about the first episodes (5 or so)
    The real Daytona can be at least seen in the pilot ( the first 2 episodes) and I'll have to check the following episodes if it still can be seen there.

That's why I said 5 or so because I am still not sure if we can see it in the 3 rd, 4th or 5 th episode.

It's not that difficult if you are not under the influence of snake poison :p

Whatever, you still agreed I was right about Dalton.... gushingly so as I recall :)) Therefore I'm generally more righter than you are... ever. So there!!

besides, the real Daytona can only be seen in one EPISODE!!!!!!! Fact. Stop with the

backpedaling34.jpg
    edited March 2014
    You agreed with me -and everyone can read it unfolding here:

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/43511/the-living-daylights/page/2/

Asp9mm wrote:

The original Daytona was a kit car and not a real Ferrari

Contradicts with:
    Asp9mm wrote:
    besides, the real Daytona can only be seen in one EPISODE!!!!!!! Fact.

:p

The original WAS a kit car. You only see the real car for ten seconds. NOT moving.
    Bondtoys wrote:
    You agreed with me -and everyone can read it unfolding here:

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/43511/the-living-daylights/page/2/

No, you agreed with me. You can read it right there :p :D :)) 8-) :v
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,418Chief of Staff
    You were both wrong on Dalton...so you're both wrong here !

See...easy -{

:D
    YNWA 97
  • Mr MalloryMr Mallory North by northwestPosts: 632MI6 Agent
    Loved the show. -{
    What makes you think this is my first time?
    Shut up Sir Miles when 2 grown ups have a sophisticated discussion :D

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    It wasn't a patch on Bergerac. :)) it had the exotic locations, great clothes and a very sexy car
    The 1947 Triumph Roadster. :p
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."