No Moore Aston

I was trying to count up how many Bond films an Aston Martin has appeared in.
I think it may be 10 films, but as Roger Moore as Bond was in Lotuses he never drove an Aston Martin in a Bond film.

Bleuville.

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I think it was deliberate, to seperate Moore's Bond from Connery, Just as Moore
    Never orders a vodka martini shaken, not stirred. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Unknown007Unknown007 Posts: 201MI6 Agent
    He only hams it up in Cannonball Run and ejects himself from it in the end.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    The break from the icons and images of the 1960s to the 1970s was pretty significant. If Connery represented a sort of rat pack Bond, then Moore was the disco era guy. Having him drive a Lotus made more sense than an Aston Martin. it's interesting, too, how often Moore's Bond doesn't drive at all but is driven by someone else.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    And Dalton was the 80's Action Guy.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    I suppose in this day and age we are all used to the fact there have been multiple Bond actors.

When Sir Roger took over, there was a question mark if there would be another actor after him to a degree. I have always seen the Lotus as the Moore era car, but even the Aston's have their eras in my eyes. Although both Mr Brosnan and Mr Craig's Bonds have used the DB5, I still see that as Sir Sean's car.

Aston films - DB5: GF, TB, GE, TND, CR-06 & SF. = 6 films
    DBS: OHMSS, DAF (Tiny cameo) = 2
    V8 Volante: TLD = 1
    V12 Vanquish: = 1
    DBS V12 : CR-06, QoS = 2

Total: 12 appearances.

Incidentally I saw two black Astons in Bristol city centre today. One I have seen several times, I think its a DB9? The other one was a Volante (poss a DBS?) The driver seemed to appreciate the public appeal of his car, smiling and nodding hello at my spellbound staring of appreciation at it as he went past! Lovely cars.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    edited March 2014
    This post no longer remains.
  • Rainier WolfcastleRainier Wolfcastle Posts: 484MI6 Agent
    The only reason he didn't have one in the films is that EON and Aston could not broker the right type of contract for their product placement and so were outbid by the other auto companies like Lotus. Money always wins.
    8-) Aston Martin didn't pay for product placement in the films (at least before DAD) - they were approached by Eon to lend a car or two for filming and were rather reluctant to do this. Bond almost ended up driving an E-type or something like a Jensen or TVR.

And ditto with Lotus: They never paid (and never had that much money anyway) for the Esprit to be used. Lotus just parked one of the pre-production cars in front of Pinewood studios and waited for a call from Eon. No money involved, just two or three cars, their test drivers and a few fibreglass body shells for the submarines and later the exploding FYEO Turbo.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Same with Walther, Turnbull & Asser and Rolex. They never paid. It's sometimes the case of the best product for the job, money can have nothing to do with it where Bond films are concerned. Besides, Bentley was in FRWL as Bond's personal car. They never paid for that.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    I suppose in this day and age we are all used to the fact there have been multiple Bond actors.

When Sir Roger took over, there was a question mark if there would be another actor after him to a degree. I have always seen the Lotus as the Moore era car, but even the Aston's have their eras in my eyes. Although both Mr Brosnan and Mr Craig's Bonds have used the DB5, I still see that as Sir Sean's car.

Incidentally I saw two black Astons in Bristol city centre today. One I have seen several times, I think its a DB9? The other one was a Volante (poss a DBS?) The driver seemed to appreciate the public appeal of his car, smiling and nodding hello at my spellbound staring of appreciation at it as he went past! Lovely cars.

+1 TLD "Winterised" Aston was the V8 Vantage.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
    Aston Martin has never paid for its products to appear in Bond films. As the filming of Goldfinger required more than one example of the DB5, producer Albert R. Broccoli had to pay Aston Martin. However, after the box office success and resulting promotional value of such product placement were recognised by Aston Martin, all cars from that point on were provided for free.

The absence of Aston from the Moore era was a creative decision.
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent

+1 TLD "Winterised" Aston was the V8 Vantage.

Damn, I meant to list both names as one. After all, they tried to make us think it was one vehicle, so I count it as one appearance! :D
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    edited March 2014
    Errr, are you arguing with yourself here or just arguing for arguments sake? Either way, deleting your original post and then posting the opposite looks really dumb...

The only reason he didn't have one in the films is that EON and Aston could not broker the right type of contract for their product placement and so were outbid by the other auto companies like Lotus. Money always wins.

Aston Martin has never paid for its products to appear in Bond films. As the filming of Goldfinger required more than one example of the DB5, producer Albert R. Broccoli had to pay Aston Martin. However, after the box office success and resulting promotional value of such product placement were recognised by Aston Martin, all cars from that point on were provided for free.

The absence of Aston from the Moore era was a creative decision.

It's either comedy genius or a race for the #1 spot in....

LI-gal-cartoons-20130601213638918707-600x400.jpg
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Errr, are you arguing with yourself here or just arguing for arguments sake? Either way, deleting your original post and then posting the opposite looks really dumb...

It's either comedy genius or a race for the #1 spot in....

LI-gal-cartoons-20130601213638918707-600x400.jpg

I am not retreating. I am just advancing in another direction.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.

I am not retreating. I am just advancing in another direction.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.

You should acquaint yourself with Bondtoys posts. You won't learn anything except that you don't have to live that long to make them all yourself :D
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I've told him already in another thread, that the AM involvement has more to do with heritage than with money ;)

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/43630/new-aston-martin-to-feature-in-bond-24/

And now go back into your cave and repaint and glue up your breathers :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    What I've learned is one should not consume a quarter of a bottle of bourbon before posting comments - which I had. My authority on anything after consuming that amount becomes as proficient as my ambulation.
    What bourbon were you drinking? There could be a Bond-brand connection. But saying that, Bond always drank mediocre brands in Fleming's books. Deaver had him drinking some decent small batch stuff though.
    :# bourbon.....

Bondtoys wrote:

Yeah, that's right 'tots. A mans drink. Something you wouldn't know about.
    Asp9mm wrote:
    What bourbon were you drinking? There could be a Bond-brand connection. But saying that, Bond always drank mediocre brands in Fleming's books. Deaver had him drinking some decent small batch stuff though.

Ten year old Glenmorangie. Tis a nice, silky Scotch. For me it tastes of nuts, dried fig, dates and a hint of vanilla.

I always thought Bond threw back the blends because he was saving his pounds for his champagne moments.
    What I've learned is one should not consume a quarter of a bottle of bourbon before posting comments - which I had. My authority on anything after consuming that amount becomes as proficient as my ambulation.
    Asp9mm wrote:

Ten year old Glenmorangie. Tis a nice, silky Scotch. For me it tastes of nuts, dried fig, dates and a hint of vanilla.

I always thought Bond threw back the blends because he was saving his pounds for his champagne moments.

But definitely NOT a bourbon.

I don't think Bond ever drank blends, book or film wise.

Have you been drinking again?
    The Glenmorangie is what I just had -sorry. The bourbon was Old Grand-Dad. Been drinking it all my life. I think Bond had drank a Pinch by Haig, isn't that a blend?
    Yeah, if you start to mix up bourbon and singlemalts, you should not post as well :p

I refer to Glenmorangie as the girlie's whisky as my wife likes it.
    ASp9mm - have you tried Glenfarclas 105 cask strength? Good stuff! {[]

• always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Bondtoys wrote:

Yeah, that's right 'tots. A mans drink. Something you wouldn't know about.

HI ASP I was given a bottle of Labrot and Graham Woodford reserve bourbon (from Kentucky) for xmas
    any comments would be greatly appreciated :)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?