What's Left Of Fleming To Film?

BIG TAMBIG TAM Wrexham, North Wales, UK.Posts: 773MI6 Agent
I'm not well up on the books, which is a failing of mine I'll readily admit to. To those knowledgable about Fleming's work what exactly, if anything, is left of his books to film? A plot-line, situation, action scene or just character names - I'd be interested to know what could conceivably turn up in a future film.

Comments

• CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    There are actually a lot of scenes in the novels that have either not been filmed because at the time they would have been too expensive and or they did not have the right technology to pull them off (such as the squid attack scene in No).
    There are also others that they did in a totally different way that could still be done the way it was originally written. For example, the bomb assassination attempt in the street that was botched by the two killers in CR. In the film they had Bond put the detonation device on the killer attempting to destroy the jetliner, so the killer ended up blowing up. They could use the actual scene from the book and it would be totally different.

There's a scene in LALD where Bond is attacked by a barracuda which takes a bite off his shoulder - having more realistic violence now, they could do that scene.

A bomb is put in the mantel clock in Bond's hotel room in the same novel and it goes off.

The idea of the motorcycle chase in SF actually came from the FAVTAK short story where Bond investigates the murder of a motorcycle dispatch-rider and the theft of his top-secret documents by a motorcycle-riding assassin. The documents were NATO secrets (in the film the killer had the names of NATO agents). They could actually do the scenes from the story and have Bond discover the underground bunker the assassin hides in within the woods. Since documents are no longer delivered this way, the rider could be carrying and actual object that needed transported (such as a stolen bits of some device).

The scene from Moonraker where Bond is almost killed in his Bentley by the falling newsprint rolls was transferred to the warehouse fight in FYEO. They could still do a similar scene on the road but have the cargo be something else.

The exploding white chalk cliff scene in MR would be amazing.

If one goes through the novels, one can find many scenes that either could be done as they were written or changed just a bit to fit the film as they've been doing.
  • BodieBodie Posts: 211MI6 Agent
    Its been a few years since I read the books but if memory serves:

CR - the bomb assassination attempt mentioned above by Cmdr. Atticus is all I can think off.

LALD - Mr. Big's real name was never used - Boneparte Ignace Gallia. Would make a good name for another villain. Also Solitaire's real name Simone Latrelle was not used. Again would make a good name for a Bond girl.

MR - in addition to the bits mentioned by Cmdr. Atticus the whole plot of blowing up London with a nuclear missile has not been used. Also in both the movie MR and DAD which was a partial remake the name of the Bond girl Gala Brand was never used. Think this is a great name for a Bond girl and shame it wasn't utilised. Why change it to Holly Goodhead.

DAF - most of this book was jettisoned. Don't think the section where Bond is held captive in a wild west ghost town in the Nevada dessert by villains dressed in cowboy gear would work now. What would work is the fight at the end of the book between Bond and Wint and Kydd in the cabin aboard the Queen Elizabeth. In the movie it is on deck and played for laughs. In the book Bond ties sheets from his bed together and climbs down the side of the ship, crashes through the porthole and kills the 2 assassins in a gunfight. This would work great for DC.

The Hildebrand Rarity (short story in FYEO) - Milton Krest has been used in LTK but the location in the Seychelles would be great for the cinematic Bond. Also Bond's friend named Fidel Barbey.

TMWTGG - weaK book but the first few chapters are great. Bond returns from the dead brainwashed to kill M.
  • Smiert-SpionamSmiert-Spionam Posts: 318MI6 Agent
    Nothing of the Spy Who Loved Me novel has really been used although I'm not sure how you could transfer it to the big screen.

I would very much like to see the killing of Wint and Kidd in the book transferred to film with different villains if possible!

Also the Garden of Death from YOLT was never used in the film, including Blofeld's demise. I'm sure this could still be used somehow!?
    Smiert Spionam
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    I think the two main unused scenes are Garden of Death and the M assassination attempt.

There is really a forest near Mount Fuji where many Japanese go to commit suicide. A Japanese castle with a large garden full of poisonous plants, animals and insects where people go to end their lives is very believable.

Bond being captured and tortured over along period of time was done in DAD. I think they should have a PTS where Bond frees another 00-agent. Later in the movie the brainwashed agent tries to kill M and Bond is sent to deal with the organisation behind the atempted hit.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    There is still so much of Flemming that can be used. The Cannonball in DAF still has yet to be placed in a Film. Or how about looking to a couple of the Gardner Novels? The Plot of Icebreaker would transfer well to Screen. Or the Character of Anton Murik for instance?
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    Fight the giant squid! Have the villain killed by a hundred tonnes of bird crap! Both Dr. no...
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I can't really see a Giant Squid working in the Craig Films though :#
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent

Nor can I, and I really hope they don't go that route.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • DEFIANT 74205DEFIANT 74205 Perth, AustraliaPosts: 1,881MI6 Agent
    If one goes through the novels, one can find many scenes that either could be done as they were written or changed just a bit to fit the film as they've been doing.

Indeed. I quite like the idea of having a cliffhanger finish to a Bond film, when one doesn't know whether Bond lives or dies, a la the end of the From Russia With Love novel.

Being a fan of the Moonraker novel, I'd like to have the entire novel adapted in its entirety.
    Nothing of the Spy Who Loved Me novel has really been used although I'm not sure how you could transfer it to the big screen.

I think it could work as a (post-gunbarrel, of course) PTS, starting from Bond driving his Bentley (or Aston, or a rental Mustang?) up to a motel, and then see the entire events unfold from Bond's perspective.
    "Watch the birdie, you bastard!"
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent

Nor can I, and I really hope they don't go that route.

Nor do I - I was taking the piss!
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com