Is there no redeeming value in a film like DAF?

LegoBatman008LegoBatman008 USAPosts: 189MI6 Agent
While Diamonds Are Forever is a wretched piece of film-making from Guy Hamilton, I like to think that they at least got something right during the scene with Sean Connery and Lois Maxwell, because their chemistry was still golden even after Connery had been away for four years. Maxwell and Connery were able to just pick up where they left off with YOLT.
"Ahem, you know in the future if you're going to steal cars, don't dress like a car thief, man." - Spider-Man

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    The Bond Moneypenny scenes were always fun. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • LegoBatman008LegoBatman008 USAPosts: 189MI6 Agent

Unless you count the Roger Moore years...They was hardly any sexual tension or flirting between Moore and Maxwell, which was a shame because I hear those two were actually good friends in real life. Too bad that real life chemistry couldn't be brought to the silver screen.
    "Ahem, you know in the future if you're going to steal cars, don't dress like a car thief, man." - Spider-Man
  • DieAnotherDayDieAnotherDay Glasgow, ScotlandPosts: 460MI6 Agent
    DAF is my least favourite Bonf film but I still enjoy certain aspects of it:
    -It's a beautiful looking film, especially on Blu Ray. -{
    -I thoroughly enjoy the locations in it. Amsterdam and Las Vegas are my sorta places lol
    -Connery still makes a great Bond
    -It has a very classic "Bond Feel" to it
    -The Moneypenny & Q scenes
    ....and the best he ever managed was a sermon on the mount.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,767MI6 Agent
    I think Kidd and Wint are fine villans and Tiffany Case and Plenty o'Toole were charming hand attractive.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I'm not sure if this was intentional of them, but there may be a Reference to Tracy in DAF. When Bond and Moneypenny are at Dover and there having a Chat, right at there End of there Conversation she says 'A Diamond, like in a Wedding Ring' . There is then an awkward Silence before Bond says 'Would you settle for a Tulip?'
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    I'm not sure if this was intentional of them, but there may be a Reference to Tracy in DAF. When Bond and Moneypenny are at Dover and there having a Chat, right at there End of there Conversation she says 'A Diamond, like in a Wedding Ring' . There is then an awkward Silence before Bond says 'Would you settle for a Tulip?'

Hmmm I've never thought of that connection, seems too clever & subtle for it to be intentional :D DAF was daft in every way
  • Dexter SmytheDexter Smythe Close to Fort KnoxPosts: 47MI6 Agent
    D
    While Diamonds Are Forever is a wretched piece of film-making from Guy Hamilton, I like to think that they at least got something right during the scene with Sean Connery and Lois Maxwell, because their chemistry was still golden even after Connery had been away for four years. Maxwell and Connery were able to just pick up where they left off with YOLT.
    This a bit harsh.I'll admit I was disappointed in DAF the first time I saw it but that was after growing up with Roger Moore's spectacular films.DAF is what it is.It is the wittiest,campiest,and funniest movie in the series.It may also be the most sophisticated(at least as far as the humor.) Tiffany is an airhead but she is still 10 times better than Denise Richards or Halle Berry.The music is great and Connery is so enjoyable to watch in the role that I find myself watching it as much as the admittedly superior films that followed it.
  • bond2002bond2002 UKPosts: 55MI6 Agent

he has sort of a pained expression on his face for a split second too
    Would DAF have worked if Moore had done it?
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent

Unless you count the Roger Moore years...They was hardly any sexual tension or flirting between Moore and Maxwell, which was a shame because I hear those two were actually good friends in real life. Too bad that real life chemistry couldn't be brought to the silver screen.

what?!!!!!???!!!!
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia, PAPosts: 753MI6 Agent
    Would DAF have worked if Moore had done it?

If it were in the later part of Moore's career, sure. I think it would have worked better actually. Would have been a disaster if it was Moore's debut though. Weak plot and action sequences all around. Say what you want about LALD being dated, but you can't deny it's a fun exciting ride.

DAF is currently my least favorite Bond, but I would never say it didn't have redeeming value. I still enjoy it when it is on. Wint and Kidd are cleverly written and always entertaining. Connery will never be as good as Moore in the camp aspects of Bond, and while I think many scenes don't work, there are also a few that are great. The bit with him and the rat is still hysterical.

I find the elevator scene to be a bit overrated, but still is an enjoyable scene. Tiffany is actually quite fine in the first half of the film before Connery works his charm and somehow turns Case into a blithering idiot. Seriously, she actually seemed quite clever early on, what happened?!
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:

what?!!!!!???!!!!

I agree, what?????

I must have seen different movies - the Moore - Maxwell chemistry always was great!
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Firemass wrote:

what?!!!!!???!!!!

I agree, what?????

I must have seen different movies - the Moore - Maxwell chemistry always was great!

If you say so... :#
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    I don't think that DAF is bad at all -- in fact, I like it. I just don't think it's as good as Connery's other films. It's as good or better than Moore's films, for which it is essentially the prototype, and I will watch it before LTK or any of the Brosnan Bonds.
    Gassy Man wrote:
    I don't think that DAF is bad at all -- in fact, I like it. I just don't think it's as good as Connery's other films. It's as good or better than Moore's films, for which it is essentially the prototype, and I will watch it before LTK or any of the Brosnan Bonds.

Have you ever watched DAF after OHMSS? Because DAF kind of pisses all over OHMSS's ending...
    Gassy Man wrote:

Coming from a fan who loves DAD ....... wow! :#
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,225Chief of Staff
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Firemass wrote:

what?!!!!!???!!!!

I agree, what?????

Count me in too. No problem with Moore - Maxwell; their dynamic worked just fine.
    Gassy Man wrote:

Have you ever watched DAF after OHMSS? Because DAF kind of pisses all over OHMSS's ending...
    Of course. They're two different films with two different tones and approaches. Have you ever read the novels? They are also quite different in approach and tone. That doesn't mean one is bad simply because it followed a different kind of movie.
    Gassy Man wrote:

Coming from a fan who loves DAD ....... wow! :#
    DAD is awful in its own right.
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    I love the Vegas scenes. Still never been but always promised myself that I will.
    I personally don't think DAF is all that bad. It has some good Action Sets (The Lift Fight for instance) and there was good use of Las Vegas and the surrounding Dessert.
  • BIG TAMBIG TAM Wrexham, North Wales, UK.Posts: 773MI6 Agent
    Yes, there's redeeming value - it's a James Bond film!
    BIG TAM wrote:
    Yes, there's redeeming value - it's a James Bond film!

+1
    :)) +2 -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    Some say Moonraker is their "guilty pleasure" Bond. Personally I proudly fly the "I like Moonraker so there!" Flag. :D

DAF is my guilty pleasure Bond. Its not brilliant, but I still enjoy it from start to finish, as silly as it can be in places. Sir Sean still had it in this film, and the pace keeps moving, wheras (with due respect) NSNA feels a bit tired on all fronts!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    I agree about NSNA, to me it just never gets going. :D
  • AirJordanFan93AirJordanFan93 Posts: 92MI6 Agent
    Its not a good movie but there are things I like about it. Wint and Kidd are fun villains, The car chase through the strip is pretty cool even though we can nitpick the car changing sides in the alleyway. Even though its the weakest of Connerys eon films I have always enjoyed it for whatever reason.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:

We're on the same here, my friend! {[]
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    I'd love to see Bond going back to Las Vegas, as It's changed so much since 71. :)
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia, PAPosts: 753MI6 Agent
    I'd love to see Bond going back to Las Vegas, as It's changed so much since 71. :)

Going in October :007)
    Some say Moonraker is their "guilty pleasure" Bond. Personally I proudly fly the "I like Moonraker so there!" Flag. :D

DAF is my guilty pleasure Bond. Its not brilliant, but I still enjoy it from start to finish, as silly as it can be in places. Sir Sean still had it in this film, and the pace keeps moving, wheras (with due respect) NSNA feels a bit tired on all fronts!

Well said good sir, I just can't help but love Moonraker and am not sheepish about it at all -{