Who is the Bond girl of YOLT? Aki or Kissy?

chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
To some, Aki is the 'sacrificial lamb' & Kissy is the Bond girl.
To ME, Aki is the Bond girl (who gets killed, like Tracy did), and Kissy is the replacement Bond girl (with half the screen time & lines).

What's your take on this? ?:)
Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    For me Kissy is the Bond girl ( Aki, is not in the book ) although both are very good characters, being
    ( for the 60s ) very modern Japanese women. -{ ,
    On a side note is her murder based on any old ninja techniques or just made up for the film ?
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    On a side note is her murder based on any old ninja techniques
    Oh yes. The martial arts advisers on that set were the best.
    -{ It's one of those questions I always wanted to ask but never think of. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    I've always thought of Kissy as the Bond Girl, although I enjoy Aki more. Maybe it's because Kissy survives at the end? (Although I realize there are exceptions such as Tracy and Vesper.)
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    I've always thought of Kissy as the Bond Girl
    Well, she's the 'fun' one and like you said, there in the end, but I feel Aki contributed more to the narrative. Even in the end, what did Kissy really do? Swim a bit & cover her ears a lot? :))
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia, PAPosts: 753MI6 Agent
    A unique Bond girl combination. Usually the one who dies is ancillary and only has minimal screentime. Aki clearly dominates the screentime and proves herself as both an equal and ally throughout the film. She is one of my favorite Bond girls of the series. I think a lot of this comes from the actress portraying Kissy having poor English. I believe she was originally cast to play Aki, but after not having enough command over the language, they switched roles.

I don't compare Aki to Tracy or Vesper because Bond doesn't show the same love for Aki, though he is clearly upset by the lost and had developed some sort of a connection with her.

I would probably put Aki's death as the 3rd saddest for me behind Vesper and Tracy but ahead of Severine, though Severine's story is more tragic.
    I would probably put Aki's death as the 3rd saddest for me behind Vesper and Tracy but ahead of Severine, though Severine's story is more tragic.
    Fair enough. -{
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Aki is the better character but I still see the bond girl as Kissy
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    Jarvio wrote:
    There can't be two Bond girls in a film? ?:)
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Kissy.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,299Chief of Staff
    Having read the book before seeing the film, Kissy.

(That doesn't mean I watched TSWLM puzzledly looking for Vivienne Michel)
  • BIG TAMBIG TAM Wrexham, North Wales, UK.Posts: 773MI6 Agent
    For a film that sacrifices character for spectacle, Aki's death is surprisingly poignant.
  • Colonel ShatnerColonel Shatner Chavtastic Bristol, BritainPosts: 574MI6 Agent
    According to the original novel and in original intent by the makers of the film, Kissy, but Aki (in terms of screen time and relationship with Bond) turned out to be the de facto Bond girl and secondary protagonist for YOLT (but tragically didn't make it like Vesper and Tracy).
    'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...'
  • AirJordanFan93AirJordanFan93 Posts: 92MI6 Agent
    Kiss is the Bond girl shes the one who is with Bond at the end of the film so I guess that makes her the Bond girl though I prefer Aki as a character
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    The Death of Aki seems to effect Bond in some way, so I go with her.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    So far it looks like 6 to 4 in favour of Kissy... -{
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Jarvio wrote:
    There can't be two Bond girls in a film? ?:)

I know, I meant that Kissy is the bond girl. But Aki is the character that I like better, if that makes sense
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    :)) I agree, I too much prefer Aki, she's beautiful. :x
    :)) I agree, I too much prefer Aki, she's beautiful. :x
    You've no doubt seen her in Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster & What's Up, Tiger Lilly? :D
    I watched " Three the hard way" last night and now I'm going to have to find " Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster" :)) . What is it with all these Threes ? Is there some AJB code I've not been told about. :))
    I watched " Three the hard way" last night
    Did you love when the car blew up for no real reason? THAT was the Seventies, baby!
    Oh it was great fun, " You might know kung fu, but I know Gun fu " :)) great line. -{ Brought back
    Memories of a young teen Thunderpussy coming back from the video shop, side and roundhouse
    Kicking every bin and lamp post on the way home. :))
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    I think Aki had better chemistry with Bond than Kissy did. It would've been interesting to see Aki in the final battle fighting alongside Bond
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • PolynikesPolynikes U.k.Posts: 276MI6 Agent
    I'm firmly in the Aki camp!
    "I'm motivated by my duty"

1.SF 2.CR 3.OHMSS 4.DN 5.YOLT
    Although weren't the actresses switched just before filming due to better English ?
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    Yes. Mie Hama threatened to commit suicide if she didn't get a part in the film. The actresses swapped parts because of this.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • JayCobb1045JayCobb1045 Posts: 79MI6 Agent
    I never thought I had to pick just one so I never gave this much thought, but pressed for an answer my vote is squarely with Aki. She is cool, smart, bails Bond out a few times and can certainly hold her own. Not to mention she's a knockout! Kissy, on the other hand, well...she has a face like a pig!

Jokes aside, her character might be there at the end, but she doesn't do anything to earn the official Bond Girl title.

As an aside - a few folks have mentioned that Bond doesn't seem all that broken up about Aki's death. I agree, and I think that is another point on the side that believes that DAF follows OHMSS, not YOLT.
    The first time I saw YOLT as a teen I was practically in tears when she died... not so much better after all this time. The only part of the movie I really dislike.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    I watched " Three the hard way" last night and now I'm going to have to find " Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster" :)) . What is it with all these Threes ? Is there some AJB code I've not been told about. :))

How did you like Jim Kelly's character having the first name "Mister" because his mama wanted people to respect him? :)) They don't make 'em like those 70s flicks anymore!
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    :)) Agreed they don't makes those 70's films anymore. In the fight at the farmhouse Jim Kelly
    does the move of grabbing a guys arm with is own ( as his other arm was injured) and applying
    Upward pressure on his elbow to lock the arm. Now given this film was 73 or 74, I'm guessing
    This might have been the first time this move was captured on film ?
    Brosnan does the same move on one of the security guards at the print works in TND. :))