What We Like & Dislike About Each Actors' Bond

chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
Simple & direct. Main plus & minus. Ancillary discussion at your own risk.

Connery- Absolute star power & screen presence/ disinterest in later films.
Lazenby- Ease in the role & physicality/ lack of Thespian skills.
Moore- Likeability & screen presence/ lack of physicality.
Dalton- Thespian skills & dedication to Fleming Bond/ bad with bad one-liners.
Brosnan- Enthusiasm & wit/ bad with bad dialogue.
Craig- Intense & physical/ a bit blunter than needed at times.
Bieber- Very ambitious/ kind of young for the role, and a bit silly with the ladies.

Oh wait- I jumped ahead! Sorry.
:))
Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS

Comments

• Brosnan_fanBrosnan_fan Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 521MI6 Agent
    Connery

Positives - Confidant and commanding performances. Negatives - Rather sexist in today's climate.

Lazenby

Positives - Nice warm and romantic manner. Negatives - of the six, the least believable as Bond.

Moore

Positives - Provides a light-hearted touch to proceedings, and good delivery of one-liners. Negatives - Can veer to much into comedy.

Dalton

Positives - Really good with the serious, no-nonsense approach to Bond. Negatives - We never got to see how his Bond turned out (Not his fault, really).

Brosnan

Positives - Good with the action, not bad as an actor. Negatives - As one-liners go, he had some clunkers (Again, probably the fault of the writers and producers).

Craig

Positives - Takes the material and acting seriously, and is not bad in the action sequences. Negatives - Needs to inject some fun into his performances.
    "Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Connery: The real deal/nothing.
    Lazenby: Physicality and romantic scenes/uneven line delivery.
    Moore: Charm, confidence/camp
    Dalton: Commanding presence/uncomfortable with humor and having a good time.
    Brosnan: Hair/Too lightweight for brooding to be taken seriously and not enough humor.
    Craig: Most masculine Bond since Connery and a bonafide actor/scripts make him one-note and humorless.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Connery - Rough and Tumble, Entertaining and serious at his Job.
    Lazenby - Put more Human Emotion into the Role
    Moore - Had a lot of funny and Entertaining Moments
    Dalton - Played the Character close to the Books
    Brosnan - Suave and Sophisticated
    Craig - Human like Lazenby and Dalton's Portrayals
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Connery. Loved him as Bond, can't find anything to dislike. -{
    Lazenby. Great in the fight scenes, as for dislikes, not much had to tell from one film.
    Moore, Master of the one-liner, can come across a little smarmy at times.
    Dalton, Loved his take on Bond, a little awkward in the fights ( Never liked how he made a fist )
    Brosnan, He was a blend of Connery and Moore ( IMHO), not a huge dislike but I never liked how
    He'd bite the shoulder of some of his leading ladies. For me at least There are better places
    To nibble on a lady. :v
    Craig, Best since Connery, has Made Bond cool again -{ , as for dislikes I agree with Gassy Man in that
    " scripts make him one-note and humorless." Although with Skyfall I think they have started to make
    the changes needed to give him a little more humor.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Lazenby. Great in the fight scenes, as for dislikes, not much had to tell from one film.
    Dalton, Loved his take on Bond, a little awkward in the fights ( Never liked how he made a fist )
    Brosnan, He was a blend of Connery and Moore ( IMHO), not a huge dislike but I never liked how
    He'd bite the shoulder of some of his leading ladies. For me at least There are better places
    Craig, Best since Connery, has Made Bond cool again -{ , as for dislikes I agree with Gassy Man in that
    " scripts make him one-note and humorless." Although with Skyfall I think they have started to make

I know this is getting tiresome but, again, I basically agree with you. I would add the lack of physicality and a sense of danger to Moore's negative column. Also, I don't think Dalton was particularly comfortable with the one-liners, and it showed.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    No, BL. Agreeing with Me shows Great wisdom. :)) :p I never get tired of anyone agreeing with me. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    I never get tired of anyone agreeing with me. :))
    I agree. ;)
  • ManxmanManxman Posts: 122MI6 Agent
    Sean Connery — amazing screen presence and leonine grace / sometimes feels a bit too invulnerable
    George Lazenby — great versatility and vulnerability / couldn't pull off humour
    Roger Moore — quintessentially English and unflappable / struggled with bad material
    Timothy Dalton — suitably Fleming-esque and saturnine / occasionally too much so?
    Pierce Brosnan — interesting fusion of Connery and Moore styles / derivative fusion of Connery and Moore styles
    Daniel Craig — captures the dark side of Bond / completely fails to capture the charm and elegance
  • BIG TAMBIG TAM Wrexham, North Wales, UK.Posts: 773MI6 Agent
    Difficult one this as I don't dislike any of the actors. They all have their own wonderful array of pros. Too many to mention in fact.

Cons? Okay, here are one or two things that stick out for me:-
    Connery - None really.
    Lazenby - Occasionally sounds a bit wooden, especially in the first meeting with Draco. But he's a non-actor so it's perhaps a bit churlish to criticise this aspect.
    Moore - Comes across a bit unathletic, especially in his last two films.
    Dalton - Sometimes says his lines as if he's appearing at The Globe Theatre. LTK especially features a lot of Shakespearean breathiness.
    Brosnan - None really.
    Craig - None really.
    BIG TAM wrote:
    Brosnan - None really.
    This here is quite refreshing to read! -{
  • BIG TAMBIG TAM Wrexham, North Wales, UK.Posts: 773MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    BIG TAM wrote:
    Brosnan - None really.
    This here is quite refreshing to read! -{

I had a downer on Brosnan for a while, but more as a backlash to his moaning about being hard done by in endless interviews. He really did have it easier than any of the other actors & should have been more gracious in accepting his time was up.
    The irony is, rewatching Brosnan makes me realise he could quite easily have fitted into the new era. A good actor with a good screen presence, I honestly can't find anything to fault.
    But if it's down to a photo finish, I prefer Daniel Craig's brooding maculinity.
    Well according to an Interview that Brosnan did, he admitted that he just never managed to Nail down the Charecter.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Well according to an Interview that Brosnan did, he admitted that he just never managed to Nail down the Charecter.
    I see a lot of people on different sites use that to help say why they didn't like Brosnan as Bond. I have to ask, does it really matter what Brosnan thinks of his performance? If after Dan gets out he was to say he thought his Bond wasn't very good, would THAT affect your appreciation of his performance? Michael Apted said some dumb things concerning TWINE, should that matter?
    What I'm saying is that the movies, once produced & released are rather finite works, and should IMO be judged positively or negatively SOLELY on their content.
    George Lucas though his original version of Star Wars was severely lacking back in '78... fans begged to differ. :))
    Actually, my only complaint about Brosnan is that he is just a bit too "pretty", but that's not his fault. In fact, I can relate to that problem because I am burdened by the same curse! :)) :)) :))
    You and ME both. :)) :)) :p
    I am thankfully free of that particular problem. B-)
    I fell out the Ugly Tree, and smashed into every Branch on the way down :))
    Seriously though, AlphaOmegaSin, what about my point in post #14? ?:)
    I've always regarded Brosnan as one of my favorite Bonds, it's just that he seems to put himself down a lot about playing the Role.
    I always remember in some early interviews ( Before filming on Goldeneye ) he did say
    he was hoping to dig into the dark side of Bond, his more human side etc.
    Seems he didn't get the chance with the scripts he got, Daniel Craig was luckier as the
    Producers decided for the change of direction just as He wanted to portray the more
    Human Bond.
    Who know's what Brosnan's Bond might have been with better scripts and a chance for him to
    get under the sin of Bond. -{
    edited April 2014
    Who know's what Brosnan's Bond might have been with better scripts and a chance for him to
    get under the skin of Bond. -{
    "Peel back the layers..."
    Sounds kinda gross. ?:)
    Oh, you both have LAYERS. Oh. You know, not everybody like onions. What about cake? Everybody loves cake!
    You know what ELSE everybody likes? Parfaits! Have you ever met a person, you say, "Let's get some parfait," they say, "Hell no, I don't like no parfait"? Parfaits are delicious!
    chrisisall wrote:
    I am thankfully free of that particular problem. B-)

It's okay. I also suffer from delusional psychosis (and those of you who have seen my photo have probably figured that out! :)) )
    I also suffer from delusional psychosis
    I've heard from an expert on here that most on this site suffer from that. Not seriously disliking Dalton is the initial symptom... ?:)
  • Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    Connery - Charm / Complacency
    Lazenby - Grounded / Unrefined
    Moore - Humor / Creepy
    Dalton - Dynamic / Awkward
    Brosnan - Balanced / Cringey
    Craig - Intense / Inexpressive
    Moore - Creepy
    Like, "Abominable Dr. Phibes" creepy-?
    :))
  • stagstag Posts: 2,083MI6 Agent
    I don't know why but in parts of TSWLM I too found Moore a little creepy. I can't remember which bit but I do recall cringing a couple of times.
  • 002002 New ZealandPosts: 558MI6 Agent

I must admit that Thunderpussy must love me: I agree with him 100%
    If you're also a fan of women's beach volleyball, then it's on! ;) :))
  • 002002 New ZealandPosts: 558MI6 Agent
    If you're also a fan of women's beach volleyball, then it's on! ;) :))

Ha! Go on, then... {[]