The strangest Bond Theories

AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
Obviously the biggest one is being the whole 'Multiple Codename Theory' which is a load of Bull in my Opinion. There are some strange ones out there like Bond apparently being a Timelord ?:) What is the strangest Bond Theory you have come across?
1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

Comments

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I like the theories regarding Fleming's selection of the name "James Bond." The fact that there's a letter from Fleming to the real James Bond apologising for pinching his name and also footage of Fleming admitting that he took the dull name from a book on birds doesn't stop some people. Two of my favourites are that he was named after Bond Street because that's where Fleming shopped. And the other is that he was named after a church in Toronto called "St James-Bond United Church" which was located just down the road from a Canadian military building. The church did indeed exist but although Fleming was in Toronto and nearby during the war, there's zero proof that he ever saw it or went to that particular military building.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    I love seeing over and over the claim that Fleming got over his objections with the casting of Connery by making Bond Scottish in the books as a consequence.

Next, it's more of not having anything definitive, but I wish there's clarification who Fleming actually had in mind with wanting "James Stewart" to play Bond, since that was Stewart Granger's real name, which to many minds makes more sense considering the persona and appearance of the American actor, James Stewart.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Well, there are multiple codenames:

James Bond the guy with the birds
    Jamesh Bond by Connery

And I guess that Fleming could imagine James Bond doing a lot but not call himself "Jamesh" :))
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Here is one of my own. :))

Dr No, Quarrel gets burnt to death. In CR a welder gets burnt to death.
    FRWL, a major friend of Bond is killed. In QOS a major friend of Bond is killed.
    GF, DB5 makes an appearance. SF, the DB5 makes an appearance. ;)
    So I predict for Bond 24, ............
    An underwater sequence or deadly female sidekick as in Thunderball. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • DieAnotherDayDieAnotherDay Glasgow, ScotlandPosts: 460MI6 Agent
    Here is one of my own. :))

Dr No, Quarrel gets burnt to death. In CR a welder gets burnt to death.
    FRWL, a major friend of Bond is killed. In QOS a major friend of Bond is killed.
    GF, DB5 makes an appearance. SF, the DB5 makes an appearance. ;)
    So I predict for Bond 24, ............
    An underwater sequence or deadly female sidekick as in Thunderball. :))

I hope so :D I think it's about time we got some underwater action again! ...or maybe I just love Thunderball too much.
    ....and the best he ever managed was a sermon on the mount.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia, PAPosts: 753MI6 Agent
    I adore Thunderball and every underwater sequence, but I'd rather see skiing return to Bond :D

As for strange theories, Silva is actually 001!
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    edited April 2014
    My theory on AVTAK haters: It's a conspiracy started by Connery extremists who didn't want DAF to go down in history as the worst Bond film. So they started a smear campaign against AVTAK to divert attention away from DAF and help keep Connery's legacy intact.

:D
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
    :)) :)) :)) could be.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • ZorinIndustriesZorinIndustries United StatesPosts: 837MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:
    My theory on AVTAK haters: It's a conspiracy started by Connery extremists who didn't want DAF to go down in history as the worst Bond film. So they started a smear campaign against AVTAK to divert attention away from DAF and help keep Connery's legacy intact.

:D
    :)) :)) :)) AVTAK for the win!
    "Better luck next time... slugheads!"

1. GoldenEye 2. Goldfinger 3. Skyfall 4. OHMSS 5. TWINE
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Ummm.....AVTAK needs no help from any conspirators to make it the least of the Bond films. It manages to accomplish that feat quite nicely on its own! :D :D :D
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I will defend AVTAK till the Day I leave this Realm of Existence :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    I will defend AVTAK till the Day I leave this Realm of Existence :))

I admire your loyalty. Live long and prosper, my friend! -{
    Old Chap -{
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Ummm.....AVTAK needs no help from any conspirators to make it the least of the Bond films. It manages to accomplish that feat quite nicely on its own! :D :D :D

I'd say that the least liked bond film is DAD. IMDB agrees
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    Jarvio wrote:

I'd say that the least liked bond film is DAD. IMDB agrees

Well AVTAK is the least-liked by ME, so there! (He says, running to his room palms up!) :))
    Who's this girl Pam ? :D
  • DCistDCist Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    I always hold AVTAK to a separate standard. Looking back subjectively, the movie wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my list of favorite Bond films however, AVTAK was the first Bond film I ever saw, circa 1992 or thereabouts and when you're a kid, all of seven years old, anything spy or gadgety is cool. So every time I see it, I'm transported back to when I saw it for the very first time I saw it rather than from an objective view.

With regards to strange theories, I'm just wondering, and I see I'm in good company here, what the heck was DAD supposed to be? Who looked at that and said "yea, this is going to be a blockbuster!" While the Q scenes are pithy and a nice throwback to the old series (granted there were those references throughout), the plot was awful. Ergo, could it have been that DAD was purposely written so poorly as to enhance the introduction of DC in CR?
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    Bouvier
    I wont go into Tamahori's Codename Theory and him wanting to bring back Connery's Bond :# 8-)
  • DelicatessenInSteelDelicatessenInSteel Posts: 181MI6 Agent
    My favorite conspiracy theory..which I've made up and is probably not true and absurd..... Is that Daniel Craig is the first gay James Bond..and its Barbara Broccoli's idea to say screw you to everyone...but she'll wait till DC is done with his highest grossing movie series....and then announce it to the world..and all Bond fans will say I wasn't surprised..and realize that Roger Moore is the greatest Bond ever......
    1.MoonRaker 2.OHMSS 3.LALD 4.OP 5.FYEO 6.DR. NO 7.YOLT 8.LTK 9.CR 10.AVTAK
    I agree with the " Not true and absurd " part :))
    -{ :))
    My favorite conspiracy theory..which I've made up and is probably not true and absurd..... Is that Daniel Craig is the first gay James Bond..and its Barbara Broccoli's idea to say screw you to everyone...but she'll wait till DC is done with his highest grossing movie series....and then announce it to the world..and all Bond fans will say I wasn't surprised..and realize that Roger Moore is the greatest Bond ever......

"probably not true...."????????? :s :s :s
  • GoldenEye85GoldenEye85 Posts: 278MI6 Agent
    edited May 2014
    Strange? Maybe, but the most out there theory was one that came to me a while back. That each Bond actor is playing at a different stage of Bond's life and career. Bear with me as it is a little long:

Daniel Craig is at the very beginning of Bond's career. He is very trigger happy and still easily rattled when someone close to him is attacked (Vesper and M). Really young and obviously not very experienced at his job.

George Lazenby is a step or two ahead of this, a little more sure of himself in his ability to carefully judge his situation. Still moved when struck by tragedy. Unfortunately, since he only did the one film, it really isn't more to go on.

Timothy Dalton. Bond is still growing as an agent and by this point much more confident. still moved by friends being attacked, to the point where he is willing to go rogue in order to see that justice is served.

Pierce Brosnan. Grown quite a bit, the cold-hearted person in him is really, really beginning to show through at this point. Still some emotion when a learns that he has been betrayed by a fellow agent and a former lover is murdered. Gun skills near perfect.

Sean Connery. Age is beginning to show, cold-hearted is the only emotion left. If Bond wants an answer, he'll beat it out of you to get it.

Roger Moore. Bond is late in his long and grueling career, to the point where he could be setup for retirement or to usher in his successor and then retire. Still a serious agent, and can hold is own in a gun fight well enough that his superiors have the trust to give him the bigger assignments.

Is this accurate? Probably not. But this came to me one night and inspired me to write to down on my computer to keep it around. One thing that helped was right before Skyfall came out on DVD, I did a marathon of ALL 22 movies (at the time), which helped to more formulate this theory.
    1, GE 2, CR 3, SF 4, TWINE 5, Spectre 6, TMWTGG 7, DAD 8, LALD 9, AVTAK 10, LTK 11, Octopussy 12, Moonraker 13, TLD 14, GF 15, QOS 16, Tomorrow 17, FYEO 18. TSWLM Not seen much: Dr. No, Russia, Thunderball, Twice, Majesty.

1: Brosnan 2: Craig 3: Moore 4: Dalton 5: Connery and 6: Lazenby
    Strange? Maybe, but the most out there theory was one that came to me a while back. That each Bond actor is playing at a different stage of Bond's life and career. Bear with me as it is a little long:

Daniel Craig is at the very beginning of Bond's career. He is very trigger happy and still easily rattled when someone close to him is attacked (Vesper and M). Really young and obviously not very experienced at his job.

George Lazenby is a step or two ahead of this, a little more sure of himself in his ability to carefully judge his situation. Still moved when struck by tragedy. Unfortunately, since he only did the one film, it really isn't more to go on.

Timothy Dalton. Bond is still growing as an agent and by this point much more confident. still moved by friends being attacked, to the point where he is willing to go rogue in order to see that justice is served.

Pierce Brosnan. Grown quite a bit, the cold-hearted person in him is really, really beginning to show through at this point. Still some emotion when a learns that he has been betrayed by a fellow agent and a former lover is murdered. Gun skills near perfect.

Sean Connery. Age is beginning to show, cold-hearted is the only emotion left. If Bond wants an answer, he'll beat it out of you to get it.

Roger Moore. Bond is late in his long and grueling career, to the point where he could be setup for retirement or to usher in his successor and then retire. Still a serious agent, and can hold is own in a gun fight well enough that his superiors have the trust to give him the bigger assignments.

Is this accurate? Probably not. But this came to me one night and inspired me to write to down on my computer to keep it around. One thing that helped was right before Skyfall came out on DVD, I did a marathon of ALL 22 movies (at the time), which helped to more formulate this theory.

Nice theory. It least it has an air of reason and plausibility about it that some of the more wacko theories are sorely lacking (e.g. the "James Bond" as code name theory).
    That's a good theory -{
  • DelicatessenInSteelDelicatessenInSteel Posts: 181MI6 Agent

That's sounds pretty accurate....Moore said he took the approach that Bond doesn't like killing...and if you ignore the childish gags that were done in post-production (Editing) after the films were shot(Slide Whistle, Double take pigeon. Tarzan Yell)..he seems to play a very confident, caddish but towards the end of his films, an almost sad world weary character.
    1.MoonRaker 2.OHMSS 3.LALD 4.OP 5.FYEO 6.DR. NO 7.YOLT 8.LTK 9.CR 10.AVTAK