Connerys' Swan Song: The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen

chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
I have to say I really enjoy this movie for what it is, Sir Sean saying goodbye.
The white tiger... :x

Thoughts on this?
Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS

Comments

• LegoBatman008LegoBatman008 USAPosts: 189MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    I have to say I really enjoy this movie for what it is, Sir Sean saying goodbye.
    The white tiger... :x

Thoughts on this?

I still think that Sean Connery's Swan Song, should have been Indiana Jones 4.
    "Ahem, you know in the future if you're going to steal cars, don't dress like a car thief, man." - Spider-Man
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Junior !
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • YouknowthenameYouknowthename Carver Media GroupPosts: 500MI6 Agent
    Really enjoyed it too! Fast pace, lots of enjoyable characters and plenty of action.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Absolutely dreadful film.
    Hilly...you old devil!

You sound like Ian Fleming when he critiqued Dr. No.

Fleming said that Terence Young's Dr. No film was "absolutely dreadful."
    "Ahem, you know in the future if you're going to steal cars, don't dress like a car thief, man." - Spider-Man
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I'd have liked to see Connery end his screen career with a better film.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Connery being a Scottish Terminator ? :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

Like Indiana Jones 4 for example?
    Your implying that Indy 4 was even good? :#
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent

Me, too. I didn't hate The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but it wasn't worthy of Connery.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    Yes it's quite enjoyable, as is the graphic novel. As I understand it though Connery had such a bad time making it he turned his back on films for the next 10 years. Damn shame.

He has recently though voiced a kids film called Sir Bili (I think) which a lot of people consider to be an even worse swan song!
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
    Ah I've heard about that :#
    Your implying that Indy 4 was even good? :#

No. I'm implying that Indiana Jones 4 would have been better if it was more like Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: another adventure with Henry Jones Senior and Henry Jones Junior.

But...come to think of it, if voice acting counts as a Swan Song, then From Russia With Love; the 2005 video game is Sir Sean Connery's TRUE Swan Song. -{
    And it's a good Swan Song -{
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    I didn't hate The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but it wasn't worthy of Connery.
    I can get a big kick out of it. I'd still like it if he hadn't been in it, but Connery's presence just makes it worth owning IMO.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Put me on the list of those who found League terrible and that it's unworthy of being Connery's last film. I keep hoping he'll come out of retirement and give us one last great performance. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent

You sound like Ian Fleming when he critiqued Dr. No.

Fleming said that Terence Young's Dr. No film was "absolutely dreadful."

The difference being of course...Fleming was wrong, and I am right. :D
    Hilly...you old devil!
    :) :)) :)) Funny I'm always right too. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    edited April 2014
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Put me on the list of those who found League terrible
    Hardly Hardy; it was fun nonsense film, about equal to the the likes of NSNA at any rate IMO.
    But yeah, nowhere near as good as my two favourite non-Bond Connerys, Outland & Last Crusade.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    :) :)) :)) Funny I'm always right too. ;)

Well.......up until now! :))
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    Ah, but even when I'm wrong. I'm still right ! :))
    Connery made some good Films in the 80's.
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    And some great films in the 70's -The Man Who Would Be King is one of the best in his career in my opinion...
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    I liked TLOEG, Connery at his usual best ,did any one notice all the freemasonary symbols used by the bad guys , :)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Outland is a very underrated Connery Picture.
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Outland is a very underrated Connery Picture.

that was on our tv a while ago and I stayed up especialy to watch it ,great film,
    mind you for my two penneth, I love Connerys THE HILL its an old black and white WW2 war film :)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    I liked TLOEG, Connery at his usual best ,did any one notice all the freemasonary symbols used by the bad guys , :)
    No, I didn't... ?:)
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    Supposedly the creators and critics actually attribute Connery's presence to the film's failure. He didn't get along with the quirky director's lack of large studio production skills and Connery supposedly commanded such a large salary that the rest of the film received budget cuts, most especially in the form of the rest of the cast being unknowns.

Guess he wasn't willing to go cheap to get other names on board like some actors do when they have names in mind that they want to see cast alongside them for the film's sake. And the filmmaker's weren't willing to drop such a chance at a rare Connery option.
    Mr Beech wrote:
    Connery supposedly commanded such a large salary that the rest of the film received budget cuts, most especially in the form of the rest of the cast being unknowns.
    What? The cast was full of 'knowns'. ?:)
    What I heard was that Connery demanded story changes to make it his last vehicle, and the director made the best of it.
    Don't know if it's entirely true, but in any case I enjoy the flick.
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Mr Beech wrote:
    Connery supposedly commanded such a large salary that the rest of the film received budget cuts, most especially in the form of the rest of the cast being unknowns.
    What? The cast was full of 'knowns'. ?:)
    What I heard was that Connery demanded story changes to make it his last vehicle, and the director made the best of it.
    Don't know if it's entirely true, but in any case I enjoy the flick.

Who knows? I've read that the studio made most of the story changes, which Connery rolled with, but the director was not used to and they clashed on how to handle the directing with very different opinions.

But honestly, I just had a look at the cast again and I really don't see any major names besides Connery. Maybe Shane West has done some TV of note in the US, but I really don't think any of those cast members are 'name' actors that the public would know on posters.