Old Actors in new films

AyrshireDJAyrshireDJ Posts: 5MI6 Agent
edited April 2014 in The James Bond Films
So - New Bond Film .....

What would be the feasibility of having either Sean Connery or Roger Moore playing an M or Q style character, as a "I used to do your job" persona.

Always wondered what that would look like on screen, and also having actors from previous films either in new roles or reprising old ones.

So which characters would you bring back? And as what?

Ones I can think off the top of my head ....

Nick Nack
Jaws
Various bond girls from various movies

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,765MI6 Agent
    I think the way they did it in CR is as far as they should go. They used former Bond girls who have changed a lot due to age in small parts. Nice nods to the past and old friends without making it in your face.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a cameo, but it would have to be something meaningful . . . I don't think I'd care to see an older actor, however, playing an established role different than the one he or she originated -- distracting.

The exception might be George Lazenby. Both the limited tenure as Bond and his advanced years would probably make him unknown to most audiences. He could certainly play an admiral or some statesman role in a Bond film without creating a lot of distraction.

What should have been done in Skyfall was to show a flashback with Bond's family. Instead of playing Kincaid, Connery could have shown up as a grandfather, and then Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz could have played Bond's parents. They could even have found someone who had tried out for the Bond role but not gotten it to play the father.
  • Brosnan_fanBrosnan_fan Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 521MI6 Agent
    AyrshireDJ wrote:
    So - New Bond Film .....

What would be the feasibility of having either Sean Connery or Roger Moore playing an M or Q style character, as a "I used to do your job" persona.

No, if I had a say in it, I definitely wouldn't do that. It would just be a publicity stunt; a "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" to the audience, who would be taken out of the film because of it.

AyrshireDJ wrote:

Always wondered what that would look like on screen, and also having actors from previous films either in new roles or reprising old ones.

So which characters would you bring back? And as what?

Ones I can think off the top of my head ....

Nick Nack
    Jaws
    Various bond girls from various movies

Have you watched through the Bond films?? They DO bring back actors/actresses in both the same AND different roles in the series. Examples are:

-Charles Gray played a Bond ally in You Only Live Twice, and was brought back as Bond villain Blofeld in Diamonds are Forever.

-Joe Don Baker was a villain in The Living Daylights, and was brought back as Bond's CIA ally in both GoldenEye and Tomorrow Never Dies.

-Maud Adams appeared in a supporting role in The Man with the Golden Gun, and was brought back as the Bond Girl, Octopussy, in erm...... Octopussy. :)) :p

Actors who were not part of the core Bond cast, but have played the same supporting roles in subsequent Bond films are:

-Eunice Gayson, who played Sylvia Trench in Dr. No and From Russia With Love.

-David Hedison, who was the first actor to play Felix Leiter twice in different Bond films (Live and Let Die and Licence to Kill).

-And, of course, Richard Kiel appeared as Jaws in The Spy Who Loved Me, where he proved so popular that Cubby Broccoli brought him back for Moonraker.

On the (possible) note of bringing back Jaws, I would say they shouldn't (And really couldn't - did you see the way Moonraker ended??).
    "Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Moore has said a few Times before that he is interested in playing a Villain. Doubt it will happen though.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • JayCobb1045JayCobb1045 Posts: 79MI6 Agent
    I can only imagine the onslaught of comments from Bond code name theory supporters if any former Bond actor came back at all. I'd rather not have that. Even in the "reboot" world, where the code name issue is less of a problem, I agree with the poster who said it would just take us out of it and be more distracting than it's worth.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    I can only imagine the onslaught of comments from Bond code name theory supporters if any former Bond actor came back at all. I'd rather not have that. Even in the "reboot" world, where the code name issue is less of a problem, I agree with the poster who said it would just take us out of it and be more distracting than it's worth.

I agree - too distracting.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    Thank Buddha that Tamahori's idea of putting Connery into DAD as the original 007 was shot down in Flames, urinated on and then the Ashes were cast to the Distant Winds.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Thank Buddha that Tamahori's idea of putting Connery into DAD as the original 007 was shot down in Flames, urinated on and then the Ashes were cast to the Distant Winds.

I, too, am extremely grateful that idea was discarded. As much as I admire and enjoy Sean Connery and his connection to the Bond film series, I certainly wouldn't have wanted to see him brought back on board that way!
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    I doubt Connery would have done it either.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I'm not a fan of the idea. :#
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."