The Man With The Golden Gun - Chart

Bond Collectors' WeekendsBond Collectors' Weekends Gainesville, Florida USAPosts: 1,883MI6 Agent
I have been rereading AJB Golden Gun threads with interest. It has been years since I've held a 1st Gen SD gun. Please help me refine the details on this chart that I made today.

Thanks and cheers.

09_Gun_Chart.jpg
Seven (007) James Bond Tours! Mission: Mexico!

Comments

• The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Just wanted to say how cool this is!
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    The 'most accurate hybrid' was a true hybrid el bastardo style of an FE fag lighter, case and cufflink with an SD pen. Called 'The Bastard' I believe it's the most accurate replica of the real deal in size and surface finish.

Currently on sale I believe.....
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Bond Collectors' WeekendsBond Collectors' Weekends Gainesville, Florida USAPosts: 1,883MI6 Agent
    Indeed it is and it looks amazing!

Surely not all the details on my chart are accurate, are they?
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    I'm not sure mate, only the golden gun Buddah of Ajb can confirm that one...
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    I would say that Ed is the guy to ask, at the and of the day he was part of the SD team -{ my interests are in the original GG.
  • Bond Collectors' WeekendsBond Collectors' Weekends Gainesville, Florida USAPosts: 1,883MI6 Agent
    Thanks. I'm asking for 3 reasons: 1) This thread says "FE fag lighter, case and cufflink with an SD pen" and the Sneak Peek thread has "...My guess would be an FE lighter and slide, an SD pen, an FE handle cigarette case and an SD Cuff Link, maybe?" and "You are correct on the components..."

2) The Mantis's website gun looks like 2nd Gen, not a Transition gun? 3) I can't find photos of a "smaller 1st Gen lighter" and so now I don't know if I have a Transition GG, either. I took these photos at an angle this morning, but:

IMG_20140416_062913.jpg
    IMG_20140416_062929.jpg

Does it look like a 2nd Gen or a Transition model? I can confirm my lighter and case are almost exactly the dimensions of the FE model components, and also that in online photos I can only find slight size variations that may be my eyes and small photos playing tricks on me.

Thanks and cheers.
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    It looks like a second gen to me Matt

In my opinion, the introduction of a "transitional " modal is just sales patter, looks to me that SD would just knock things to gather of the spare parts he had at the time, I have even seen a 2nd gen with a first gen pen :D.
  • parfaitelumiereparfaitelumiere Posts: 153MI6 Agent
    edited September 2015
    Looks like during movie there are at 3 different pens:
    -one genuine waterman, body is french made waterman, either a leman 21, gold plated version, or a gentleman 44, gold plated version, but we can see Scaramanga writing, and the shape of the nib, even not easy to see, makes me think about a gentlemann 44 version (standadt shaped nib, unlike the leman21 with low profile "concord shaped"nib)
    -one dissassemblable pen, quite waterman looking, but fat and shorter, the one he uses for assembling the gun, especially visible when he kills his associate.
    -one firing, visible at 35mn, when he kills the old man.

About the gun itself, I think there are 3 guns, one assemblable, one solid and one firing, even it may be possible the solid gun to be blank firable.

About the replicas, I didn't find any accurate enough lighters, because the pyramid shapes are really wrong, that's the reason why I am doing these searches.
    I will have to find pictures of all existing replicas to make comparations, then see what to use and how to make a replica by myself.
    I was thinking about buying a genuine pen and lighter, keep the lighter core and machine a full body, and use the pen as a reference to machine a replica, even it will be difficult, but the most difficult part is probably the case.
  • BOFFERBOFFER Posts: 331MI6 Agent
    I have an SD studios GG and will post some pictures up when I get a moment as it may help both of us. ta
    Kan (texas) knows a thing or two about SD guns as well as he knows Steve.
    Thanks a lot for your replies.
    Yesterday and today I made many searches especially details in the movie, I made many screenshots, and I think I will make a short compilating movie with video screenshots.
    I also created a thread on therpf, prop enthusiasts and collector forum.
    Several fans are at work on their replicas, even firing replicas (or at least smoke and noise).
    Sounds interesting to me. Can you let us know who is working on what with regards to Golden Guns ?
    It would be great to see some pictures and build progress.
    kind regards
    Mark
    smoke and noise can be a good challenge, without too much danger.
    However a fully firable gun, and reloadable would be much more difficult, it would need a special design to get a openable and closable lighter cap, but safe enough to get a gun fired, maybe by using the hidden button on top face of the lighter, as a lock once the bullet is in.
    It will also need a hammer reloading system,maybe possible using the lighter cap opening, giving strengh to a spring, reloading a hammer. I will think about what technical solution could be found for a assemblable, firable gun, but I think it's far from possible, or will need lots of accuracy loss compared to real lighter pen etc...
    Of course it would have been far easier if the loghter cap would have been a gun hammer, once opened, you press the trigger and it fires.
  • 007storm007storm The NetherlandsPosts: 345MI6 Agent
    The second S.D. Studios version has a red ruby in the sigarette case and the first version does not.
    My James Bond Collection:
    Antens007Archive
    Yes, I made many searches now, found some good pics of both SD studio versions, the FE, and of course the various original props.

The second SD version has a more accurate pen cap, beveled cigarette case with correct angle, however, no cartouche on it.
    The first one has a straight cigarette case, and the pen is far from accurate.
    I would think the best "easy" choice is a second SD studion version pen, a FE case and lighter and a self-made cufflinks.

I finally found a photo of a assembled gun WITH visible case cap axis.
    Yes, see the handy chart above!
    Here is a study drawing I made.
    The design is mainly based from the firable gun design but with the static version pen (longer cap, hidden ring on cap)

mod_le_assemblage.jpg

Once you click on image you get the 1/1 scale.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    This deserves a proper pic:

mod_le_assemblage.jpg
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Looks fantastic -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    edited September 2015
    Just added the trigger and shadow on case cap.
    I also added the spare parts, the cigarette case drawing is a earlier version.
    The purpose is more study for measurments and "how to buit" process.
    mod_le_assemblage.jpg

If I can make it, the lighter will probably have no visible hole on bottom side once assembled, because the gliding core can hide all holes.
    I think in this case I will mae a trigger relay inside the box cover.
    I think the pen will probably have to be 100 home made too, because I didn't find any existing pen getting less or more close to this pen.
    It would have a waterman gentleman 44 clip, but shorter and wider body and a piston cap on bottom to get credible.
    The lamy 2000 has quite a similar external look but it's all stainless and about 250 euros.
    I would think about a full removable core, including piston, ink chamber and nib area, for a real writing pen, but removable core to become the gun barrel.
    main problem, the entire core will have to be about 8mm diameter.
    There are incoherences because the chamber caliber would be 4,2mm but once scaled it would more be 8,4mm so I will consider the 4,2 caliber as a radius measurment, making a true 8,4mm caliber, or about calibre .30, closer to the real prop.

I am beginning to think the original case had cigarette compartment but no opening cap, and the opening cap one had no compartment.
    I don't see any axis on the one with cigarettes inside, there is also one with axis and the one on gun, once assembled.
    it could be possible the one with cigarettes would have a removable top cap, without axis, and would be used for static gun (no axis on it too)

On my drawing the top and bottom ends of the case are a bit too short, I will have to add 3mm on each side to get closer to the real one.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    mod_le_assemblage.jpg
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    edited September 2015
    What do you think about it?

modyle10.png

I modified the pen shape.

I don't know who here lives in UK or USA, but I would find some brass tubing, rectangular shape, ⅝" x 1" ¼, this is the size I would need for the lighter sleeving.
    I found sone 15x 30 mm, but if I calculated right, I would need a 16x32mm and 80mm long body, just because there are 16 cubes along the width, 8 cupes along the thickness and 40 cubes along the lenght.

You can see on the "colibri" view a kind of hidden button, I don't know it's use, but it's visible on the original item as a hidden button on the case.
    I don't know the exact use of what seems to be the "ruby" button, and what about the hidden button, both are on opposite sides.
    I would think one would open the cigarette compartment and other the hidden cap?!
    FAr to be sure, because this button is not visible on the original loose case, only on firing gun.