Pierce Brosnan says what I've been saying for years.

Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
I don't know if he arrived at this conclusion himself or basically read people's criticisms, but I always felt he misplayed Bond. If he had just been like he is in The Thomas Crown Affair, I have enjoyed him much more than I actually did:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/374110/Pierce-Brosnan-I-wasn-t-a-good-James-Bond

Comments

• David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    Pierce played Bond the way that came instinctively to him at the time, and which EON and the public were VERRRYYYY happy with for 7 years. He has no reason to revisionistically change his mind, and certainly not because Craig does it much differently and is currently flavour of the month. Sure, Brosnan's scripts had some dodgy elements but so did, say, QOS and SKYFALL.

This is just like Rog's repeatedly saying "oh, I can't act"; as if he's after public reassurance, really.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    He was given poor Scripts to work with.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    +1, he had poor scripts. Even D Craig would have struggled. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Even old Misty Eyed -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Yeah, but his portrayal of Bond was also his decision, as the article suggests. Scripts are not sacrosanct -- I know screenwriters who have had their work revised significantly once filming begins through the actor's and director's input. I think Brosnan is being both honest and accurate in his statements, and I applaud him for it. Had he not tried to be something he is not, I think his Bond would have been as memorable as Connery's. I showed a Brosnan Bond clip in class recently, and they seemed unimpressed.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia, PAPosts: 753MI6 Agent
    I still love the way he portrayed Bond and it fit the time. Audiences weren't ready for the gritty more serious Bond yet and they needed a segway between that and the more jokey over the top era. Brosnan was perfect for the time and well received. All of his films did well at the box office and even DAD wasn't seen as a critical failure until a few years after it's release.

"After playing Bond in five movies in 10 years, Brosnan, the fifth actor to play the smooth-talking double agent, felt he struggled to fill the boots of the likes of Sean Connery and Sir Roger Moore before him."

Did Brosnan sneak in Property of a Lady when we weren't looking? Anyone have a copy?
    Does that confirm then that Brosnan was to do a fifth?
  • ManxmanManxman Posts: 122MI6 Agent
    Some actors have the magical ability to transcend lousy material by their sheer presence; Brosnan, like Roger Moore before him, isn't among them. Compare his flat, disengaged performance opposite Teri Hatcher in the ditchwater-dull Tomorrow Never Dies with the real anger he brings when performing with Sophie Marceau in the far superior The World Is Not Enough, which is the closest he got to a decent Bond script.
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,774MI6 Agent
    I disagree with Mr Brosnan completely. - No matter how good or bad the writing of the scripts and the realism / grittiness of the storylines the actor playing the lead is what makes it fly or die every time. DAF and AVTAK are my least favorite Bonds for Sire Sean and Sir Roger respectively. However, their performances are still great nonetheless. QoS is my bug bear for Mr Craig, because the jump to his Bond being so cold and bloodthirsty is a sharp contrast to CR-06 and SF for that matter.
    I applaud Mr Brosnan for admitting he had doubts about his performance - that's a sign of humility and perhaps uncertainty about his skills in this iconic role, but I saw all the Brosnan films at the cinema except Goldeneye. I still consider it money well spent then, and now. - Daniel Craig IS James Bond now. But Mr Brosnan (as far as I am concerned) certainly WAS, and is as great in the role as the others. - Except Peter Sellers.

He was also brilliant as the Prime Minister is The Ghost Writer, and I am looking forward to November Man.
    Pity about Mama Mia, but we all make mistakes!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    But Mr Brosnan (as far as I am concerned) certainly WAS, and is as great in the role as the others. - Except Peter Sellers.

Peter Sellers never portrayed James Bond...

Brosnan did as well as anyone could have hoped for at the time...he breathed new life into Bond after the six year gap - and that shouldn't be overlooked...
    YNWA 97
    I applaud Mr Brosnan for admitting he had doubts about his performance - that's a sign of humility and perhaps uncertainty about his skills in this iconic role, but I saw all the Brosnan films at the cinema except Goldeneye. I still consider it money well spent then, and now. - Daniel Craig IS James Bond now. But Mr Brosnan (as far as I am concerned) certainly WAS, and is as great in the role as the others.
    Haha, even the actor himself admitting flaws can't dispel some people's opinions, such is the nature of opinion. To each their own.
    Same with my posts, No matter how RIGHT I am
    Someone always disagrees. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    {[]
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    Brosnan was a great Bond, but it is now in the past, and he is a modest person. I can only hope that a few years from now Craig will be able to admit something similar.
  • Unknown007Unknown007 Posts: 201MI6 Agent
    I thought Brosnan's Bond Movies were amongst the best in the series, Goldeneye was slightly weak but hey that was his first and he can get away with that.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Even old Misty Eyed -{

Well - he did :v
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent

Someone???????
    Stands 'someone' for 'virtually everyone'????

Btw and i know how that feels like :D :D :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    Jag wrote:
    I can only hope that a few years from now Craig will be able to admit something similar.

Something similar to what ?
    YNWA 97
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Haha, even the actor himself admitting flaws can't dispel some people's opinions, such is the nature of opinion. To each their own.

You think this article will dissuade any Brosnan fan?

I'm sorry to hear that Pierce feels this way as he was a near-perfect Bond.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
    Well, fan is short for fanatic, and fanatic is one or two steps from lunatic, so, no, haha. :))
  • AirJordanFan93AirJordanFan93 Posts: 92MI6 Agent
    Im not sure whether I blame him or the writing. He is very good in TWINE it's by far his best Bond performance but the movie is pretty bad which comes down to the writing.
    Basically the same story ( different paper ) but it has a couple
    of links at the bottom to other Brosnan Bond interviews,
    http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/apr/14/pierce-brosnan-james-bond-never-good-enough

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2005/apr/22/jamesbond.2005inreview
    Shame that he had to bow out with DAD though :#
    Yes. :# I do feel Brosnan was kind of wasted in his films. I don't think
    he's a brilliant actor but he was better than the poor scripts allowed him
    To be. I also feel after the lack luster response to LTK, The producers
    decided to fall back on what had worked in the past, hence Brosnan had to
    play a watered down Moore with a hint ( at times ) of Connery, and why his
    Films have so many elements of the older movies sprinkled throughout.
  • Mr MalloryMr Mallory North by northwestPosts: 632MI6 Agent
    I always liked Brosnan. Sadly for him D Craig is just so good.
    What makes you think this is my first time?
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I think every Bond - except for Lazenby - was great for his time. Looking back at them later on some have faired worse than others, but I think all but one were perfect in their day.
    All Actors have done a good Job playing the Role in my Opinion :)
    Apart from Sir Sean Connery, who was just awful. :)) :p ;)
  • LegoBatman008LegoBatman008 USAPosts: 189MI6 Agent

You mean Sean Connery was awful in You Only Live Twice, Diamonds Are Forever and Never Say Never Again.
    "Ahem, you know in the future if you're going to steal cars, don't dress like a car thief, man." - Spider-Man
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

TAXI ! For Mr Thunderpussy. :))
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."