Things that confuse you?

DieAnotherDayDieAnotherDay Glasgow, ScotlandPosts: 460MI6 Agent
Just a thread for us all to post certain things we may be confused about or not fully understand in the Bond films and for answers to be given. I'll start

Can someone explain Mathis to be? lol Where do his loyalties lie?
....and the best he ever managed was a sermon on the mount.

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I guess we'll never get a definitive answer to it but here's mine. :))

Mathis was Bond's ally and friend. He did not help le Chiffre and died helping
    Bond during QOS.
    That's how I think of him anyway. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    What is Gogol's relationship with Bond? In some films he's working with him and in some films he's working against him.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • LegoBatman008LegoBatman008 USAPosts: 189MI6 Agent
    edited April 2014
    In The Man with the Golden Gun, we find out that Maud Adams's character sent a 007 golden bullet to Universal Exports but when she first meets Bond, while he was spying on her in the shower, she points a gun at him and tells him to "Get out," now why would she do that if she wanted 007's help in the first place?

And why was she in the shower with a gun in the first place? Did she watch Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho and suddenly became afraid to jump in the shower while unarmed?
    "Ahem, you know in the future if you're going to steal cars, don't dress like a car thief, man." - Spider-Man
    Gogol,
    When his interests and Bond's align he's happy to work with Bond. ;)

Maud Adams, being Scaramanga's girlfriend needs to have some protection
    In case an enemy attacks her, hence the gun in the shower. As for telling Bond
    to leave I'm sure she was trying to keep her secret safe, in case he didn't go
    after Scaramanga.

Once again I'm not saying I'm right, it'just my take on the films. :)) :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • ManxmanManxman Posts: 122MI6 Agent
    What is Gogol's relationship with Bond? In some films he's working with him and in some films he's working against him.
    Gogol is basically M's opposite number in the Soviet secret service. Sometimes the two services are working together on projects with a joint interest and at other times they're on opposite sides. However, whatever the situation, Bond knows Gogol has a sort of fatherly affection and respect for him; that's why he throws the ATAC device off the top of St Cyril's in For Your Eyes Only, confident that Gogol won't allow him to be executed.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    One thing that has always confused me about TMWTGG. Why would Scaramanga have a Replica Model of Bond in his Hideout? And why would it be holding a fully loaded Walther?
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Nothing odd about that. I have a life size model of Bondtoys with a
    Fully loaded Fabergé egg. :v
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    not so much as being confused, but why/what reason did Flemming give Bond the Walther ppk as opposed
    to any of the other firearms were on the market , ive only read 2 books so perhaps the answer is there,
    can anyone enlighten me
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    He was advised to go for the ppk by G Boothroyd a gun expert. ;)
    As a thank you Fleming named the armourer Major Boothroyd.
    With a name like Miranda Frost, it's obvious to the audience at least that she's the mole within MI6, but Bond and M don't know that.

But Miranda does something funny. She helps Bond avoid being captured by the guards in one scene, just so Bond could be caught at gun-point with an empty Walther PPK later on in the film. What was the point of Bond being caught inside Toby Stephens's ice palace as opposed to being caught outside in the cold?

I know Miranda says some B.S. about "Sex for dinner and death for breakfast." but that's not good enough. It'd be like Xenia Onatopp having regular sex with Bond and then trying to kill him later.
    "Ahem, you know in the future if you're going to steal cars, don't dress like a car thief, man." - Spider-Man
    I'd just put that down to many thrillers have characters who help
    the hero, only to turn on him in the final act. :))
    Miranda was originally going to be called Gala Brand, from the Moonraker Novel.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    By the way does anybody else wonder how Bond's arrival in Dr No had leaked in the first place? I mean the last thing Bond says about it is, "I get the impression that somebody had been selling tickets."
    The Novel never really properly explains how Dr No knew that Bond has arrived in Jamaica as well.
    I'd say Miss Taro had a hand in it. :)) minding her nails of course. ;)
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    How was Dawes killed in LALD?
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
    I always assumed he had his brains scrambled by an ultra Hugh frequency
    Sound wave. Or he was forced to listen to Shaken Stevens. :D
    edited April 2014
    In GoldenEye when Xenia Onatopp killed a Canadian Admiral with her thighs, was it actually feasible?
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    In GoldenEye when Xenia Onatopp killed a Canadian Admiral with her thighs, was it actually feasible?

well I once went out with this girl from Lewisham , ,and, er oh, you get the picture :))
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent

I was killed that way once, so yes it's feasible. :D
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    So your a Zombie then, Blackleiter? :))
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent

Uh oh! My cover is blown! :))
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    " You only live twice , Mr BL " :))
    Once when you are born, and once when you stare Death in the Face.

I was killed that way once, so yes it's feasible. :D

Yeah, right.

I don't believe in Zombies. They're not real.

Uh oh! My cover is blown! :))

No, no, no, no, NO! You're supposed to be like Sean Connery and say, "This is my second life."
    It was a Joke LegoBatman 8-)
    :)) AJB is famous for its leg pulling
    and Jokers, but I'm always Batman. :))
    'The People of Gotham have there Hero..'
    It was a Joke LegoBatman 8-)

I was joking too. On the last part of my post. Blackleiter could've said, "This is my second life." but he didn't.

I was just poking fun at him for not making a You Only Live Twice reference. (The movie not the book.)
    {[] no problem :D