FIFA World Cup 2014

The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
I know this has popped up on other threads, but thought with it just two weeks away it might deserve its own thread here. If there is an existing thread that I have overlooked, please banish me to Lapland...with a few local dancers.

So, the World Cup is just 16 days away and I couldn't be less excited if I tried. This from someone who used to diligently buy the Panini stickers and albums, any magazine or supplement available and would predict every single result with goal difference to determine the winner. Of course, I was 12 years old at the time, but that's beside the point!

Why am I so completely and totally uninterested this time? Maybe it's because I am overwhelmed by the corruption at FIFA which has got so bad that it makes the IOC look squeaky clean. Maybe it's because so few players are likeable today. Yes, they may be talented and decent to watch, but they're only interested in themselves and have no interest at all in their teams, the supporters or anyone else.

Like many of my friends, I will be surprised if England get out of our group and I really don't care. I don't mind the young team that Hodgson selected because I think it's actually the best squad he could have put together. My disinterest doesn't lie in my belief that England will be rubbish, but more that there's just not a single country that I would like to see win. I dislike practically every one of the so-called favourites for one reason or another - some reasons justified, others just because I'm becoming Victor Meldrew in my old age.

I suspect that once it starts I'll go from checking the scores, to watching the highlights, to catching a few minutes, to sneaking away for a half to nipping down the pub for a full match. But at this point, I am more excited by the prospect of some nice summer weather than I am spending 110 hours indoors watching football.

Comments

• always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    I hope we (England loose get knocked out in the 1st round and get sent home ) not because I don't like them far from it
    its hopefully ,that all the dickheads at the FA will all be sacked and we can get some people in who actually knows something
    about football,
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) I used to think there was something wrong with me, as I never had
    Any interest in Football ( or sport in general ). :# In fact I would be
    Watching some old film on bbc2 when football was on the other stations.
    Although I do tend to watch bits of the World Cup, as close to the end
    You are watching some world class displays of skill, and of course with
    No real interest in it, I can change teams half way through. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I can't stand Sports in General, So me and the GF will be avoiding the Pubs in the next several Weeks.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    now if your talking the Olympics ,then that's a different story :)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    I like to watch old Dotties sitting around Knitting Gloves and Scarfs :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,561Chief of Staff
    I'm not over bothered about England - never have been...I like them to win but it doesn't spoil my day if they lose...but it's getting pretty frustrating as my team - Liverpool, now supply 6 players in the squad (not counting Flanaghan who has also travelled with them) and with the possibility of signing at least one more from the squad of 22...now, I want England home early so the players can rest but I have a sneaky feeling they may get out of the group...and if they do then the next match is easily winnable...oh dear :#
    YNWA 97
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Cant say this time around I'm that excited to be honest, seems to be a buzz missing at the moment.

Nice to see England have a nice young squad with a few oldies. Hopefully Sterling gets game time.

Im more interested to see who Liverpool sign for next season, seem to be linked with everybody lol
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Im more interested to see who Liverpool sign for next season, seem to be linked with everybody lol

Same here...looks like Moreno next - I've heard that deal is pretty much done - Lallana has told Southampton he wants to move to Liverpool...Emre Can should follow and possibly Dejan Lovren too...I'm excited by the Xherdan Shaqiri interest more though...

Sorry for the slight derail....
    YNWA 97
    I see Fabregas has also been linked to Liverpool (can't see that happening though)

Must admit I've not seen too much of Lallana as Premiership coverage is limited here on South American ESPN so not sure how great an addition he would be (get all the Liverpool games though due to Suarez)

One things for sure they seem to be spending so I guess they will be selling. I guess potentially Lucas / Reina / Aspas / Assiadi (excuse the spelling on that one) / Agger?? (feel a bit sorry for him) and a few others (I guess also Borini now Lambert has been signed) will be flogged to raise additional funds

One things for sure LFC need to get their signings spot on this time and no maybe's or duds like previous seasons. Sure Rodgers knows what he is doing, as long as he doesn't disrupt the balance like AVB did at Spurs with the money from Bale.
    Fabregas is being used as leverage to try and get Southampton to move on Lallana...I doubt we could afford the wages Fabregas wants...other Barcelona players are on our radar though...Pedro, Sanchez and Tello...perhaps Agger will be used in a swap deal for one of them...?

I can see all the ones you mentioned leaving - although Borini probably only on loan again (he's only 21/22 and Lambert is 32)...I think Conor Coady will leave too - on loan last year at Sheffield United...also Luis Alberto and Sebastian Coates look destined to be sold...maybe Suso and Jack Robinson too...so plenty of 'outs'...Wisdom will come back - and most likely go back out on loan...two to watch are Jordan Ibe - even quicker than Sterling ! - and Jordan Rossiter, although he's a couple of years away yet (just turned 17)....
    Indeed...the transfer committe need to get more signings right than wrong this year !
    YNWA 97
    Oh, sorry...about Lallana...he'd fit in in the Henderson role or at the head of the midfield diamond...good with the ball at his feet and decent with both feet too...creates lots of chances and is able to go round players...
    He's also been signing Liverpool shirts this week whilst with England ;)
    YNWA 97
    Sorry...I've turned this into a Liverpool thread...forgive me ;%

Carry on...
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Oh, sorry...about Lallana...he'd fit in in the Henderson role or at the head of the midfield diamond...good with the ball at his feet and decent with both feet too...creates lots of chances and is able to go round players...
    He's also been signing Liverpool shirts this week whilst with England ;)

I feel things would have prob been diff this season if Henderson never got himself suspended!! I guess its fair to say midfield would def be sorted with Lallana, Hendo, Gerrard, Allen and Coutinho for hard times ahead. Feel a bit for Lucas but I think that last injury really took something out of him though he was out for a longtime so maybe a bit unfair to discard him (also Gerrard doing a lot of his duties since being pushed back)

The one place I am still not convinced (prob the only position we have not been linked to anybody) is Center Back. Sakho looks a beast in the air but looks so uncomfortable with the ball at his feet (reminds me of crouchy with the ball at his feet lol). I guess Rodgers has to justify paying big money for him though hence Aggers absence. Think the jury is still out on him. I guess its safe to say Toure will be finding a new club, still have nightmares about his pass against West Brom!

They seem to be patient with Ibe which is prob a good thing, would love to see more of him. I remember when Sterling was tearing up the reserves and kept reading about him, seemed ages until he made the breakthru (though then he was pretty erratic until Rodgers dropped him, worked on him superbly and paid off)

Has Luis Suarez got it written in his contract to never be subbed lol?? I feel he was burnt out near the end hence his goals drying up. Always amazed that they kept him on when battering teams and a bit daft
    Golden boot predictions this WC??

Hmm tricky..

Messi never seems to cut it when playing for the Argies,
    Aguero - surely will get injured judging by his recent problems
    Naymar I'm still not convinced.
    Suarez - surely operation will make him suspect but I dont rate Uruguay to get far enough
    Van Persie? Not a bad punt if the Dutch go far
    Ronaldo??? Not a bad bet either though not sure about this Portuguese team.
    Rooney - nah!!! :))
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited June 2014
    Thomas Müller!!

Best player that we've had since the other Müller 1974 {[]
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!

So, the World Cup is just 16 days away

It's only 9 days.....

Golden boot winner ? I'd go with Naymar...

Liverpool - Sakho is a beast, needs time to learn to be comfortable on the ball. Enrique will also be sold...always liked Lucas but I think he's had an injury too many...Can will come into the midfield equation when/if we sign him...Toure may get a move or be retained as experienced cover - depends on Louvren coming in though...Suarez isn't subbed because he's being made to feel the 'star' player...although expect a HUGE bid from Real Madrid....Jordan Ibe could be the breakthrough player this year...

Thomas Muller ? Always thought he was a good player - even if Bayern don't always seem to think that !
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:

Thomas Muller ? Always thought he was a good player - even if Bayern don't always seem to think that !

Obviously you know nothing about german football or football in general.

It seems that Guardiola leaves him out for some reason - but everyone at Bayern München is very happy to have him.
    Personally, I think that it has much to do with the absolute discipline which Guardiola demands and Müller is a kind of free-spirit player.

He once said, that his strength is that the opposite has no clue what he's doing next and so does he :D

Who are we playing first?
    Italy 14th June.

That's gonna be a massacre for the english team :D
    Your only hope is Costa Rica :D

Who's Germany Playing first? I cannot personally stand Football, it's the whole Tribal Element of the Fan Bases of each Team ?:)
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

Obviously you know nothing about german football or football in general.

It seems that Guardiola leaves him out for some reason - but everyone at Bayern München is very happy to have him.
    Personally, I think that it has much to do with the absolute discipline which Guardiola demands and Müller is a kind of free-spirit player.

He once said, that his strength is that the opposite has no clue what he's doing next and so does he :D

Muller wasn't a regular starter under Heynckes either !

German football ? The Bundesliga isn't even a competition anymore...it's more of a parade :))

Munich should have stuck with their English managers :p
    YNWA 97
    Who's Germany Playing first? I cannot personally stand Football, it's the whole Tribal Element of the Fan Bases of each Team ?:)

They play Portugal first...both will settle for a draw...as they have Ghana and USA to follow - both should be comfortable victories...the biggest problem for Germany is their style of football, it's based on strength and running, which will be hard to do in the heat of Brazil...at least Germany have good technical players that can keep the ball...they just lack great strikers...

The 'tribal' stuff is ok as long as it doesn't lead to violence...that's when people need to take a long hard look at themselves...
    YNWA 97
    Talking of Munich - is Robben going to stay with them?

Dont watch the Bundesliga but in the latter stages of the Champions League every bloody ball went thru Robben in the final third of the pitch, it became very predictable for the opposition. It was very strange to watch, like having clips on repeat!!!!

Believe Germany play Portugal first, have pretty easy games after that
    Group B Looks interesting:

Chile
    Spain
    Netherlands
    Oz (err yeah)
    welshboy78 wrote:

I would have thought so...can't really see anyone else wanting him, he's a disruptive element...he and Ribbery often fall out with each other - sometimes they punch each other too ! I'm not sure he's well liked by the rest of his team mates either :))

It's obvious that Robben doesn't like to pass and will ALWAYS look to shift the ball onto his left so he can shoot...it's easy to spot but still quite difficult to stop him...
    YNWA 97
    Robben for Munich is a bit like Sir Miles for AJB.

Noone really likes him but we all became to accept that he's hanging around :D

Sir Miles wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:

I would have thought so...can't really see anyone else wanting him, he's a disruptive element...he and Ribbery often fall out with each other - sometimes they punch each other too ! I'm not sure he's well liked by the rest of his team mates either :))

It's obvious that Robben doesn't like to pass and will ALWAYS look to shift the ball onto his left so he can shoot...it's easy to spot but still quite difficult to stop him...

Yeah he was well suited to Chelsea :))
    Bondtoys wrote:

haha
    Bondtoys wrote:

That's more true than you realise :))
    YNWA 97