Remaking any of the older 007 movies?

GoldenEye85GoldenEye85 Posts: 278MI6 Agent
How would any of you feel if they announced that Eon was going to pick some of the older 007 movies and remake them? Would you be in favor of it, if it meant the ones that didn't meet expectations, while keeping in mind that everyone's is different, or would you be completely against it.

I know Eon isn't controlled by the big wigs of Hollywood, so likely this is a none issue, but I'd like to hear everyone's thought on this. If it were up to you, which films would you remake? I'm going to put a limit of the timeline from 1962-1989, not that Brosnan's movies are flawless, but I think it is MUCH too soon to consider remaking any from GoldenEye on.

Second question, have all the Fleming books been turned into movies? If not what is left?
1, GE 2, CR 3, SF 4, TWINE 5, Spectre 6, TMWTGG 7, DAD 8, LALD 9, AVTAK 10, LTK 11, Octopussy 12, Moonraker 13, TLD 14, GF 15, QOS 16, Tomorrow 17, FYEO 18. TSWLM Not seen much: Dr. No, Russia, Thunderball, Twice, Majesty.

1: Brosnan 2: Craig 3: Moore 4: Dalton 5: Connery and 6: Lazenby

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    For remaking the old movies, NO !!!!!!!!
    As for the Fleming stories, I think there are four short story
    Titles which haven't been used, The Property of a lady,
    007 in New York, Risico & The Hildebrand Rarity
    ( although most of Risico was used in FYEO )
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,213Chief of Staff
    What he said, but with more !!!!! after the NO!!!!!
    :)) I was going to add a few expletives after the !!!!!!!!
    But thought better of it. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    A remake is never as good as the priginal
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia, PAPosts: 753MI6 Agent
    Regardless if the original is my most or least favorite, I have zero interest in a remake of any prior Bond film. If you want to rehash plot devices or have similarities, this is fine. The best part of the series is it is ever changing and each entry is different.

I have not read Risico, but I imagine I would be okay with that film being made if it had a similar plot since I'm sure FYEO wasn't too faithful to the plot.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    I think it is inevitable that they work in characters or elements directly from other movies, but it will probably be in a half-assed way, like the Star Trek reboots.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    No remakes, please.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I don't think it would work -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • GoldenEye85GoldenEye85 Posts: 278MI6 Agent
    I would just like to point out that even though I asked this question, I was simply wanting to see what people would think. I'm not for remaking them either.
    1, GE 2, CR 3, SF 4, TWINE 5, Spectre 6, TMWTGG 7, DAD 8, LALD 9, AVTAK 10, LTK 11, Octopussy 12, Moonraker 13, TLD 14, GF 15, QOS 16, Tomorrow 17, FYEO 18. TSWLM Not seen much: Dr. No, Russia, Thunderball, Twice, Majesty.

1: Brosnan 2: Craig 3: Moore 4: Dalton 5: Connery and 6: Lazenby
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    I'm not in favour, either.

Look what happened to Thunderball and NSNA - the latter a remake, in essence, due to the restrictions on McClory. NSNA wasn't a patch on Thunderball IMO. (With the exception of Bernie Casey as Felix, before my learned friend jumps in!) :))
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    before my learned friend jumps in

Who, me? I wouldn't dream of it! :))
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    I've got two words for you mister: NO!
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    before my learned friend jumps in

Who, me? I wouldn't dream of it! :))

Who else! :)) {[]
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • DieAnotherDayDieAnotherDay Glasgow, ScotlandPosts: 460MI6 Agent
    They should really remake Goldfinger! The original was just a hunk of crap which disappointed every one fs :v
    ....and the best he ever managed was a sermon on the mount.
    In your own World it may have done ^ ;)
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    I think the Force of sarcasm is strong with DieAnotherDay. :)) ;)
    They should really remake Goldfinger! The original was just a hunk of crap which disappointed every one fs :v

"You expect me to respond?"
    "No, Blackleiter, I expect you to cry!"

No tears will be shed, however, because I know you're just trying to get a rise out of me. (I'm too old for this stuff!)
  • JayCobb1045JayCobb1045 Posts: 79MI6 Agent
    I'm not for remaking any of the movies - at least not in a shot for shot kind of way. What I might be interested in seeing, though, are more faithful adaptations of novels that have already been made into film. This would, of course, result in some overlap of titles and scenes from previous films, but I think it could be fun.
  • DieAnotherDayDieAnotherDay Glasgow, ScotlandPosts: 460MI6 Agent
    Haha yeah guys, I love Goldfinger as much as the next Bond Fan. -{
    ....and the best he ever managed was a sermon on the mount.
  • Dalkowski110Dalkowski110 Posts: 1,314MI6 Agent
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)
    By the way, are you gonna eat that?
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Just think in 20 years time when tech is crazy we will probably be able to download the entire series. In the menu you will have the option to select your Bond and will be able to watch your Bond of choice through any film e.g. Brosnan in OHMSS {:)
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    welshboy78 wrote:
    In the menu you will have the option to select your Bond and will be able to watch your Bond of choice through any film e.g. Brosnan in OHMSS {:)

I can already hear the promo...

"Roger Moore IS George Lazenby IS James Bond IN On Her Majesty's Secret Service! Watch Sir Roger do a heart-wrenching Eyebrow Lift of Tragedy (TM) as Tracy (Denise Richards IS Diana Rigg IS Tracy di Vincenzo...) dies at the hands of Blofeld's henchwoman (Joan Rivers IS Ilse Steppat IS Irma Bunt)..."

:# :# :# :o :o :o :p
    RM was more then capable of pulling off the sad Ending of OHMSS.

I agree--but not in the persona we tend to remember him in.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent

I agree--but not in the persona we tend to remember him in.

Prob would have looked into the camera winked and said "Plenty more fish in the sea" {:)
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    No remakes. They wouldn't be as good anyway. What the producers and writers seem to be doing is taking elements from the books and putting them in the modern movies anyway. Whether or not those book elements have already shown up in previous movies.

But I just can't see a remake of Goldfinger being even close to the original. Never Say Never Again is passable and understandable why that happened. But a Goldfinger, Spy Who Loved Me, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, etc. No need to see a remake of those.
    "Better late than never."
  • Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    My criteria for re-making a 007 movie:
    1. It should be a sharply different take on the original movie - not merely an update with a bigger budget. At the end of the day we should say that there's merit in both movies.
    2. It should be for movies that didn't achieve classic status. There's no way to re-make From Russia With Love or Goldfinger without it falling in the shadow of the original.

Movies that I think could be remade:
    Diamonds Are Forever - Better acting all around, and make perhaps make it a Craig-ish serious film about the harm of diamond smuggling
    Man with the Golden Gun - Make it a serious movie to fit the serious concept of Bond counterpart assassin. Also, put more emphasis on the fighting maze.
    Moonraker - Stick to Fleming's book. Nuff said.
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    Moonraker - Stick to Fleming's book. Nuff said.

I like your criteria, but have you actually read Fleming's Moonraker? It's awful. I actually hope they do re-make it just to prove my point.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:
    I like your criteria, but have you actually read Fleming's Moonraker? It's awful.
    'Awful'? Sounds to me like YOU didn't actually read it. :))
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • readpaulbreadpaulb Cleveland, OhioPosts: 86MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Firemass wrote:
    I like your criteria, but have you actually read Fleming's Moonraker? It's awful.
    'Awful'? Sounds to me like YOU didn't actually read it. :))

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I have to agree, there is no way anyone could think Fleming's MR was "awful." Has to be either my second or third favorite Fleming novel, hands down.

EDIT: Getting back on track, Thunderball could be remade and I wouldn't bat an eye. I can't get into the original or NSNA.
    1) Cr 2) Ohmss 3) Gf 4) Sf 5) Fyeo