Amaryllis Fleming

CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
I apologize if this topic may be in the wrong section, but as it relates to Fleming I put it in this one.

This may be old hat news to members, but I was not that familiar that Fleming's half sister Amaryllis Fleming was such an accomplished cellist and that she was his inspiration for coming up with the short story of TLD. He even mentions her name in the story as "that Amaryllis something". She definitely got her looks from her mother. Was also surprised to learn she had been told she had been adopted and did not learn she was actually Fleming's half sister until she was in her twenties.
amaryllis_1.jpg

fleming2.jpg

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    -{ Very Interesting. It's news to me, always great to find out a little more. {[]
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    edited June 2014
    I read somewhere that he was actually interested in her until finding out from his mother the truth. Her father was an artist named Augustus John, whom Fleming's mother couldn't marry lest she lose her interests in her late husband's estate.

EDIT: Now I remember where I read this, it was from "The Making of The Living Daylights"
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Amaryllis Fleming was mentioned in the passing last year-

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/42309/regarding-the-kara-hate/page/3/
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    Yes, a very interesting figure. I have a biography entitled Amaryllis Fleming (1993) by Fergus Fleming in my collection in fact.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Augustus John was one of the greatest 20th century British portraitists and did an excellent pencil sketch of Ian Fleming. Don't think he ever did an actual painting of him though, in fact I think the only contemporary painting of Fleming is by Charles Amherts Villiers who also invented the Blower Bentley!