Sunspel Swim Shorts Budget Alternative

Recently I was searching for some new swim shorts. Of course, as a Bond fan I looked at the Orelebar Brown trunks but they were too expensive and too low cut for my tastes. I liked the vintage look of the Sunspel, but again there was the price. I just can't see spending $200 or more for swim trunks.

Recently I saw that J Crew has some tab swim trunks in various fabrics and colors. The one that caught my eye was the "oxford cloth" in ocean blue. While it is currently listed at $75 retail it's J. Crew so you almost always have a 30% or 40% off promo going on.

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/swim/65tabswimshorts/PRDOVR~A5861/A5861.jsp

I just received my shorts and am very pleased with them. To my eye it is very similar looking to the Sunspel and the old Jantzen shorts. The cotton/nylon cloth is very soft and does feel a bit like shirting fabric. The 6.5" inseam is 2 inches longer than Sunspel's, but I'm okay with that. Although I am tempted to ask a tailor if the legs can be shortened a couple inches and if the excess fabric can be made into button down belt loops like Connery's Thunderball trunks.

j_crew_front.jpg

j_crew_rear.jpg

Comments

• WardWard Maryland/LondonPosts: 195MI6 Agent
    Recently I was searching for some new swim shorts. Of course, as a Bond fan I looked at the Orelebar Brown trunks but they were too expensive and too low cut for my tastes. I liked the vintage look of the Sunspel, but again there was the price. I just can't see spending $200 or more for swim trunks.

Recently I saw that J Crew has some tab swim trunks in various fabrics and colors. The one that caught my eye was the "oxford cloth" in ocean blue. While it is currently listed at $75 retail it's J. Crew so you almost always have a 30% or 40% off promo going on.

I just received my shorts and am very pleased with them. To my eye it is very similar looking to the Sunspel and the old Jantzen shorts. The cotton/nylon cloth is very soft and does feel a bit like shirting fabric. The 6.5" inseam is 2 inches longer than Sunspel's, but I'm okay with that. Although I am tempted to ask a tailor if the legs can be shortened a couple inches and if the excess fabric can be made into button down belt loops like Connery's Thunderball trunks.

j_crew_front.jpg

j_crew_rear.jpg

These are great.
  • InternationalExportsInternationalExports Posts: 269MI6 Agent
    Ward wrote:

j_crew_front.jpg

j_crew_rear.jpg

These are great.

You guys seen these? http://www.clothestopose.co.uk/james-bond-style-swim-trunks-2-p.asp
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    They look great {[] sadly I don't have the body for them. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,557Chief of Staff
    They look great {[] sadly I don't have the body for them. :))

Oh I do :D

It's Daniel Craig's :#
    YNWA 97
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent
    The CR trunks are too small and tight for me and anyone else who sees me. The J Crews are fine. Especially with a gingham shirt. :D
  • JMac88JMac88 Posts: 279MI6 Agent

Yeah I own a pair. Quite nice, especially for the price. I wear them for lane swimming. Despite how the photos look, the lighter blue isn't an exact match for the original La Perla though.
  • readpaulbreadpaulb Cleveland, OhioPosts: 86MI6 Agent
    40% off hot weather clothes today! Got them for $54 including tax and shipping. Now hopefully they fit Haha!
    1) Cr 2) Ohmss 3) Gf 4) Sf 5) Fyeo
    readpaulb wrote:
    40% off hot weather clothes today! Got them for $54 including tax and shipping. Now hopefully they fit Haha!

I took my normal waist size. That they are available in one inch size differences is a plus.
    readpaulb wrote:

I took my normal waist size. That they are available in one inch size differences is a plus.

Agreed. Always nice when I can find a 31!
  • thelordflasheartthelordflasheart Posts: 310MI6 Agent
    Bought these on the weekend for 40% off. Quite nice, and the construction and detailing is top notch. I took a 30 and was tempted to get a 29 but they were a bit too small. I have a pair of swim shorts nearly identical to the Orlebar Brown and once they get wet they loosen up considerably - to the point where they slide down my hips a bit when doing laps. But the sales rep at J Crew told me that this fabric doesn't change shape or size at all.

Overall they're very nice. a little longer and wider than I would have liked, but a great deal for what they are - especially with how well made they are.
    Bought these on the weekend for 40% off. Quite nice, and the construction and detailing is top notch. I took a 30 and was tempted to get a 29 but they were a bit too small. I have a pair of swim shorts nearly identical to the Orlebar Brown and once they get wet they loosen up considerably - to the point where they slide down my hips a bit when doing laps. But the sales rep at J Crew told me that this fabric doesn't change shape or size at all.

Overall they're very nice. a little longer and wider than I would have liked, but a great deal for what they are - especially with how well made they are.

I had to order online since the J. Crew near me has a pitiful men's department. I got my usual 34. I thought about exchanging for a 33, but I think an extra inch off the waist may be a bit tight. I've tried on a couple Swim-Ology trunks with side adjusters like the Orlebar Brown. Unfortunately the large is too tight and the extra large is too big. I did just buy one of J. Crew's other tab swim shorts for $15 on clearance. It will be interesting to compare the fabrics when it arrives.
  • MFisherMFisher Posts: 746MI6 Agent
    Snagged a pair as well…. while I was at it I picked up two different pairs of pale blue chinos which were also on clearance.. have a bit of a Dr. No Crab Key feel to them.. :) Also the textured pale blue polo… Not a bad haul for under $130 shipped.. (two pair pants, polo, and trunks)
  • NikoNiko Posts: 73MI6 Agent
    I was out this morning looking for a pair of shorts for when I head off for me holidays in a few weeks and picked up a pair of fairly cheap (£18.00) sky blue shorts at Next UK clothing.

http://www.next.co.uk/X54486s3#773941X54

They are not swimwear but are a very inexpensive alternative to the Sean Connery 'Woman Of Straw' shorts that Sunspel modeled their swim shorts on. They have belt loops and side button adjusters (which i prefer to a drawstring) and also has a money pocket. I did take a size down as my usual size was too large but the smaller size is not a bad fit at all.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent Here and there...Posts: 61MI6 Agent
    Any info about drying time? They say it's made of quick-drying fabric, but I'm not so sure about the cotton/nylon blend.
  • Vesper007Vesper007 Enjoying Death,Country EnglandPosts: 45MI6 Agent
    The next shorts are great and decent quality - a to be honest a good price - they do a swimwear and a pair proper shorts - so I enjoyed swanning round over easter in the Bahamas in them on my hols ;-)
    "007 Reporting for Duty"
    I purchased the Next shorts. They are quite nice. Took the chance ordering my normal size 34. It was a little big in the waist (I've lost a few pounds), but was a good fit once I used the button side tabs. If I had gone down a size to a 32 it may have been too tight in the hips and seat even if the waist was big enough. It goes well with the J Crew Swim Shorts style wise. Now I need to find a pair of cheap blue or blue/gray espadrilles here in the States. You'd think that would be easy in a small California beach town, but no...
  • cheldcheld Posts: 300MI6 Agent
    What's the inseam on the Next?
    cheld wrote:

The inseam is 5.5 inches.
  • NikoNiko Posts: 73MI6 Agent
    cheld wrote:

My size 30 Next shorts have inseam of 5.25 inches
  • InternationalExportsInternationalExports Posts: 269MI6 Agent
    Niko wrote:
    cheld wrote:

If you go to next clearance site and search swim wear they have a swimshort version. I bought the ones you guys did and took them back as the swimwear version are reduced to £9.00
    Niko wrote:
    cheld wrote:

If you go to next clearance site and search swim wear they have a swimshort version. I bought the ones you guys did and took them back as the swimwear version are reduced to £9.00

Riviera swim short not available through the US Next site.
    J. Crew has reduced the price of the swim shorts to $24.99. Plus there is a 30% off code with free shipping: GIVETHIS
  • cheldcheld Posts: 300MI6 Agent
    I picked up the J. Crew oxford blue swim shorts and think they're GREAT. Surprisingly I found them to run a bit big... I wear between 34 and 36 based on manufacturer and with J. Crew's reputation for slim fit I ordered a 35 and 36. Both were loose and I ended up sizing down to the 34. All three have the exact same inseam (6.25") and outseam (16.5"), which I find more, ahem, modest than the very short Next version. Two side pockets, rear zip pocket, coin pocket and a carabiner/keychain loop. Quadruple closure (zipper, small patch of velcro, extended snap tab, drawstring tie.

And now they're 40% off (code: SALENEWS) so at $14.99 plus tax and $5 shipping they're a no-brainer as long as you can live without the Thunderball belt loops.
    That's an amazing deal and I'd advise anyone on the fence to pick these up. I paid $54 and I would pay that price again no questions asked. $20 for everything is a steal.
    I agree cheld. I took advantage of the pre-Xmas sale to get another 34 and a 33 (I'm trying to lose weight) so they were around $13 each with free shipping. When summer rolls around I may use the fabric from one of the suits to have button-down belt loops made.
  • PaperbillPaperbill FloridaPosts: 810MI6 Agent
    I just bought the J. Crew ones. A little small sine I wear 38 and they didn't have so I got 36. I hope they run big or else I must loose weight.