Do We Bond Fans Celebrate Gratutious Violence?

chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
As a Bond fan from age 11, I've always really dug when Bond dispatches some evil POS. But in real life, even though I'm a martial artist, I'm quite the peacenik. I hate police brutality, am for tougher gun laws, and I've never actually used my Samurai sword on anything besides hedges.

In real life violence is not fun. It hurts, it can lead to permanent damage & death... so why is it 'fun' to see Bond toss a dude off the deep end?

Are we all just arrested adolescents transfixed by a power fascination?
Or is it simply an adult fantasy & catharsis?

In a utopian & peaceful world, would Bond fight boredom? ?:)
Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS

Comments

• LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    I think Bond represents good vs evil, and for me, that means having to kill someone.

Our British culture (where arms are not a right of passage) the license to kill was something very different (when the Bond franchise began) and somewhat 'hero like' - unfortuneatly, these days it doesn't really have the kudos it once had.

I abhor violence (for violence sake) but it doesn't stop me watching violent movies... although it's not my genre of choice... and I really dislike horror - I just can't be dealing with the graphic shock. I think I managed up to saw 3... before I stopped.

Bond, to me, represents the type of violence needed to keep my country safe and I wouldn't describe it as violence, more a sense of purpose and 'good' - some might call it double standards... as it's still killing, but as I'm from a military background I would be very hypocritical if I didn't stand for protection against 'evil' in whatever forms that takes.
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:

I abhor violence (for violence sake) but it doesn't stop me watching violent movies... although it's not my genre of choice...

…and we all appreciate your financial contributions (ticket purchases) for "romantic comedies".
    Hey - someone has to keep the genre alive :)) :)) :))
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Higgins wrote:
    Lexi wrote:

I abhor violence (for violence sake) but it doesn't stop me watching violent movies... although it's not my genre of choice...

…and we all appreciate your financial contributions (ticket purchases) for "romantic comedies".
    Hey - someone has to keep the genre alive :)) :)) :))

Well, I can't argue that I haven't seen the odd romantic comedy... however I prefer psychological thrillers, sci-fi and crime. :p
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    well, doesn't "romantic comedy" not also include all those attributes - for one price :v
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Higgins wrote:
    well, doesn't "romantic comedy" not also include all those attributes - for one price :v

depends on the movie I guess.... but then you could say that Bond includes some romantic comedy aspects too... no?

....although I can't see any romantic comedy aspects in Captian Phillips, Tinker Tailor soldier spy, or Argo... (a few of the movies I've seen recently)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I don't even think of the Bond films as violent ! :D
    I love graphic horror ( I have all the saw movies ) :))
    Although I myself am a big Pussy Cat. :))
    Hate guns; I dislike hunting etc. So I don't think
    watching Bond has harmed me. ...... Well not too
    much. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Tell that to Krest. :D
    Strictly business, nothing personal. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    :))
    edited July 2014
    " Under pressure he couldn't keep his head !" :D

Infact I regard Bond to be like Indy or Batman
    action adventure, none of them overly violent.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Like Indy, Bond is a Fictional Character who operates in the 'Film World' (If that makes any Sense)
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Nicely put, a well thought out argument -{
    I wouldn't have expected that ! :p :)) ;)
    I regard Bond to be like Indy or Batman
    action adventure, none of them overly violent.
    But, isn't that worse than overly violent? I mean, making violence into adventure... something it really isn't?
    How many kids in the 40's & 50's lost sight in an eye because The Three Stooges made violence into comedy? ?:)
    You've gone TOO far sir, You can slag off
    AOS all you want But Nobody can " diss" the
    three stooges ! What you call violence, I call
    physical Comedy {[] :)) I turn my back on you sir ! :p
    If people are stupid enough to copy mivie stunts, all
    well and good. It takes stupid people out of the
    gene pool. So helping the human race. -{
    The Feelings mutual TP ;) :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    I thought I'd drag you into the argument as well
    collateral damage :))
    for physical comedy it would be worth losing an eye. :p
    Rather an Eye then something else :))
    I'd block any finger with my phone, use it as
    an i-patch. :))
    Largo?
    Yes Largo was a big three stooges fan hence the lost eye. :#
    The only "safe " violence that annoyed me was the never
    ending car crashes in The A Team, were people would simply
    walk away from every crash !
    At least in Bond if you are a henchman who parks on the edge
    of a cliff and Bond kicks it over. You end up dead. :D
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    I like watching James Bond kick someones butt because I don't want/have to.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
    Kick & lick, always getting those mixed up ! :)) ;)
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Until recently, Bond violence is just fantasy violence. In RL, I'm middle of the road politically, not violent at all, and not what I would consider a sexist. But I can watch a conservative assassin with predilections toward sexism just fine if he is contained in a fantasy world, or at least one that recognizes his limit.
    Bond is not all bad, he even lefy Greene a drink !
    Gassy Man wrote:
    I can watch a conservative assassin with predilections toward sexism just fine if he is contained in a fantasy world
    What I like about Bond (and Indy, Batman & Malcolm Reynolds, for that matter) is the mash up of Conservative & Liberal values employed (sometimes simultaneously :o ).

It's just curious to me, as a basic pacifist, how I can enjoy seeing Bond 'giving the public what it wants' without reservation. Even the knife kill in QOS was not wholly inappropriate IMO.
    Must be my enemy within... ;)
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    edited July 2014
    Ginger Raspberry please landlord!

Bond is as fictional as Star Trek and Thunderbirds. His get out if jail card is his license to kill. He is a spy - no aspect of what he does is ethical except the end reasoning. He does it to ensure the bad guys don't make a lot of people suffer, or die.
    Its the simplicity of good versus evil.
    I have to admit, Mr Craig's Bond is not a "clean" killer. Slates death in QoS is horrifically brutal. It mirrors the stairwell murder in CR-06. But, its still fiction. Just as Sir Sean's Bond frying Odd Job, Sir Roger's shooting Stromberg, and Mr Daltons crushing Whiticar. Its comic book or whodunit violence. The scale of Bond and the (usually) lack of gore makes it work.
    Krest and Slates deaths break that rule, they are quite horrible and do make you stop and think about the violence involved. It takes you out if the Bond format. It brings that association to the surrounding violence. However, that does not mean you like violence or enjoy it, in fact the reverse is true.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    Krest and Slates deaths break that rule, they are quite horrible and do make you stop and think about the violence involved. It takes you out if the Bond format. It brings that association to the surrounding violence. However, that does not mean you like violence or enjoy it, in fact the reverse is true.
    Violence can and does serve drama. But something a friend once told me always rings true: if the violence makes you smile, it's not violence but a cartoon version of it.
    When Bond blows up Sanchez or kills Slate, I do not smile. :(
    Gratuitous : without reason.

I think In Both those deaths, There was a very good reason. ;)
    1 + -{
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Tell that to Krest. :D

Or Dario! Or the guy in OHMSS who "had a lot of guts"! :))
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."