If Dr No had failed on release

AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
If Dr No had been a huge disappointment and was a flop with Critics and Viewers alike, do you think that EON would have given it another go or would the Film had been another early 60's forgotten Classic?
1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Yes, If it had failed IMHO the series would have stopped there. EON
    Put a lot of money into Dr No, it was a gamble but they had faith that
    Bond would be as popular on screen as he was in novels. :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I am sure that they would have tried again with Timothy Dalton - the all-purpose weapon of all times :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Can never forget old Misty Eyes :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Connery or Dalton both great choices, thanks for the recommendation guys. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,052Chief of Staff
    Higgins wrote:
    I am sure that they would have tried again with Timothy Dalton - the all-purpose weapon of all times :D

If he could have fitted it in during his school holidays in 1963!
    On a different subject, has Bondtoys been rebranded ? If so was there
    Should be a party! I'd like to offer the function room of the SBS ( the
    Dalton suite ) :007) :D
    The new 'improved' BT? -{
    " ...Better, Stronger, Faster ..... " :D
    I had heard a rumour he was to be the first attempt at " Privatisation " on AJB
    With shares in " Higgins" to go on sale very soon !
    Kind of like Robocop? Or even Terminator?
    Only much, much more dangerous ! :D
    Oh the Horror ! :))
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Actually, I took over Bontoys as a financial investor.
    Now that I ate the meat to the bone, it's time to move on and create another famous brand to do the same after all the hype-up :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    What will Asp9mm do now? :(
    The words Bone, Bondtoys( Higgins) and Asp9mm brings up all kinds of disturbing images ! :))
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia, PAPosts: 753MI6 Agent
    There probably would have been another film adaptation down the road, just not by EON. I doubt it would have been successful much like the other film attempts outside EON.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    I think EON were pleasantly surprised by the success Dr. No was so a sequel was assured in the form of FRWL and so the question of a flop never arose, thankfully. Dr. No was successful precisely because nothing of the like had ever been seen before - it was something entirely new and therefore it became iconic.

However, if Dr. No had not been a success I imagine it would indeed be another forgotten one film series like The Liquidator (1965), the sole film from John Gardner's Boysie Oakes series of novels.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,052Chief of Staff
    Well, that film wouldn't have been made without the success of the Bond films.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Well, that film wouldn't have been made without the success of the Bond films.

Oh yes, that's certainly true. I just meant Dr. No would have been as equally forgotten as that (The Liquidator) or something like the excellent The Quiller Memorandum (1966); both of which are sadly rather forgotten nowadays.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • lueth2048lueth2048 Posts: 120MI6 Agent
    I think United Artists would have pulled the plug and EON would have been put out of business.

I think Kevin McClory may have gotten Thunderball made made a few years later.