Why was Bond asking about the Russian clock in FRWL?

Bond asks the Russian twice if the clock on the wall is correct. Why does he do this? He has a watch and he checks it.

Comments

• AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Most likely to see if the Time is accurate on both Devices -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I always had it down as a bit of movie humour. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • bond21bond21 Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    I always had it down as a bit of movie humour. :))

What is the joke though? I mean the clock doesn't get destroyed in the explosion it just pops out of the wall and is dangling by its cords. I assume it would still be functioning.
    Just my interpretation but To me the joke is it's a bored official
    Who doesn't know what's soon going to happen .... But we go ! :))
    Didn't say it was a very good joke. ;) that's just what I think.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    'Russian Clocks are always...... ughhhh!'
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    " Bang on Time !" ;)
    What Bond does best -{
    Nobody does it better. ;)
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,497Chief of Staff
    bond21 wrote:
    Bond asks the Russian twice if the clock on the wall is correct. Why does he do this? He has a watch and he checks it.

Bond does this because he is expecting an explosion at an exact time - he checks the clock and his watch and sees that the exact time has arrived, but no explosion...so he asks again if the clock is correct - just in case it's not...then the explosion happens...
    YNWA 97
  • JayCobb1045JayCobb1045 Posts: 79MI6 Agent
    I always took it like Sir Miles explains, and the joke is that the Russian clock was actually wrong, in spite of the office worker's assertions to the contrary. :))
    I know it's a stereotype but somehow Russian made doesn't have the
    Same perceived value as German or Japanese made. :))
  • JayCobb1045JayCobb1045 Posts: 79MI6 Agent
    I can see this devolving into a Yakov Smirnoff bit - In Soviet Russia, you tell clock what time it is!
    'Nobody leaves the KGB' :))
    After the Revolution, clocks do what they're Told ! ;)
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    After the Revolution, clocks do what they're Told ! ;)

After the revolution every one did as they were told,all that happened was one ruling elite was replaced with another
    ruling elite, all these politicians who advocate getting rid of the Queen/Royal family ,would all move into Buck house
    the minute the Windsors left,the people who run the E,E,C/common market are a classic example
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    agreed, We'll always have an elite ;)
    ( Although I welcome being ruled by our Inteligent, wise and benevolent Rulers ) :))
    Old Joke time ..........

" Come the revolution Brothers, every One will have a new BMW
    Come the revolution Brothers, every one will have plenty of money
    Come the revolution Brothers, everyone will have a beautiful Blonde "
    after a pause, a lone voice crys out ...........
    " What if you don't want a BMW or Money or a Blonde ?"
    " Come the revolution Brother, You'll DO as your Fuc*ing TOLD !!" :))
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?