Do you remember me griping about ticks?

Ammo08Ammo08 Missouri, USAPosts: 386MI6 Agent
A few months back I was going on about ticks and chiggers here in the Bootheel of Missouri. Anyway, for the last week or so I've been the victim of a Tick-borne infection named ehrlichiosis...it mimics the flu plus a few other unsavory complaints. Horrible stuff...

My doctor guessed what it was before the labs confirmed it,,it's been common this year hereabouts..

Be glad you don't have these pests....
"I don't know if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who mean it."-Mark Twain
'Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.'- Benny Hill (1924-1992)

Comments

• always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Ammo08 wrote:
    A few months back I was going on about ticks and chiggers here in the Bootheel of Missouri. Anyway, for the last week or so I've been the victim of a Tick-borne infection named ehrlichiosis...it mimics the flu plus a few other unsavory complaints. Horrible stuff...

My doctor guessed what it was before the labs confirmed it,,it's been common this year hereabouts..

Be glad you don't have these pests....

yes I remember you mentioning it , is it confined to Missouri ,or does it affect any other states ?

ps hope you get better :)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    {[] Yes, get better soon. -{
    Yes, I'm very glad we live without earthquakes, hurricanes ( except the odd very small one ) :))
    and no Nasty ticks and insects -{ .
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Ammo08Ammo08 Missouri, USAPosts: 386MI6 Agent
    It's common to Southern Missouri and Northern Arkansas...it's carried by a tick called The Lone Star Tick that apparently carries some other nasty diseases..

Funny you should mention earthquakes, we live on top of the New Madrid Faultline..in 1812 or so an earthquake here was one of the largest in recorded history...it made the Mississippi River run backwards as it filled what is now Reelfoot Lake in Tennessee when the ground there dropped over 200 feet and it rang church bells in Virginia..

I sure would like to get back to England, I need to see Stonehenge again and I really want my wife to see Ely Cathedral, one the most beautiful buildings I've ever seen.
    "I don't know if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who mean it."-Mark Twain
    'Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.'- Benny Hill (1924-1992)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    edited August 2014
    Amazing fact {[] 200 feet is one hell of a drop.
    That's why it's funny over this side of the pond, as the last
    Earthquake near the UK knocked a chimney pot of a lady's house..
    ....... and that was about it, although it still made the news. :))

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28730305
    Here's our Hurricane! :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    you wasn't based at Mildenhall by any chance 8-)
    Yep, good ole RAF Mildenhall....long term temporary duty (TDY) in 2001 and 2002.

My brother Mike made out like a bandit, he did 26 years in the USAF and he got to spend 12+ of them in England, mostly RAY Lakenheath and RAF Upper Heyford. I on the other hand, when I was in the regular USAF, I got to go to North Dakota and Wyoming, with a small stint in California...it wasn't until I joined the Air National Guard that I got to go to great places, England, Germany, and the middle east.
    Ammo08 wrote:
    Yep, good ole RAF Mildenhall....long term temporary duty (TDY) in 2001 and 2002.

My brother Mike made out like a bandit, he did 26 years in the USAF and he got to spend 12+ of them in England, mostly RAY Lakenheath and RAF Upper Heyford. I on the other hand, when I was in the regular USAF, I got to go to North Dakota and Wyoming, with a small stint in California...it wasn't until I joined the Air National Guard that I got to go to great places, England, Germany, and the middle east.

good guess eh, :D I often drive past the gates of the 48th at Lakenheath ,you always know when your near any of those USAF bases , as you start seeing Corvettes ,Cameros Mustangs ect in abundance driving about :)
    I remember my first bus ride in England..here we go blazing down a two lane road to New Market, my brain perceiving imminent death from being on the wrong side of the road...and the Stagecoach driver rolling a cigarette and talking to us about Elvis...he noticed that we were all Memphis Air Guard. We made his day. We carried some trinkets made for our Wing with Elvis logos and gave him some...he was ecstatic.

I could understand southern English accents reasonably well, however, one of the RAF sergeants I worked with was from northern England and I really couldn't make out what he was saying half the time. Much like we have over here, Southerners like myself and New Englanders have problems understanding each other.

If I were to ever win the lottery, (it helps to buy a ticket), I would probably do an extended stay in the UK and see as much as possible. My family on both sides is predominately English with a few Scots, Welsh, and Irish thrown in ..