Remembering Ian Fleming 50 Years After his Death

Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,673MI6 Agent
Remembering our founder Ian Lancaster Fleming on the 50th Anniversary of his death in the early hours of 12th August 1964. But for whom etc.

This is the thread in which to pay your respects. -{
"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I love Fleming's discription of locations, Countries and Cities. -{ His
    Experience as a journalist really shows, as they're so in depth and
    Informative. Add to this his skill at setting up scenes with his characters,
    all helping to bring his stories to life. In fact many of his stories could be
    made today, except for changing the types of cars etc. They're still very
    Contemporary. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Fleming is one of the most important Authors of the 20th Century (And possibly of all Time) -{ Here's hoping that his Novels and Creation will live on for many more Centuries to come -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I think the very genres of "Thriller" and "Spies" ensures that the Literati never properly acknowledge the skills of the author, how else on earth can you possibly explain why Graham Greene never got the Nobel Prize for literature, or John le Carre never receiving a knighthood (though given his political views it is possible that it was offered to him and he declined) or Ian Fleming still not properly being recognised as a genuine author of literature.

Fleming was not the greatest author, but he was far better than a mere storyteller and I genuinely believe that his work has improved with time.

I raise a glass to you and thank you for all the pleasure you have brought me.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,673MI6 Agent
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).