Question About Live and Let Die

I've been wondering this for years, and for all I know, the answer is either a) blatantly obvious, or b) easily found somewhere else on this site, or c) both. But I can't find the answer and don't know it, so I'm asking. Please don't judge :)

In Live and Let Die, when they arrive at the New Orleans airport, Solitaire momentarily turns on Bond. She says, "My only regret is that I won't be there to see it!" and she moves to hit him. What is the meaning of this? Is she faking it to make the villains think she's still working with them? Or is she suddenly disgusted with Bond for some reason?

The below excerpt is from Tom Mankiewicz's script, and it doesn't shed any light on it for me:

ADAM
There's a hell of a view of the lake from 500 feet.

Bond winces at the thought, turns to SOLITAIRE.

SOLITAIRE
(with loathing)
My only regret is that I won't be there to see it.

She swings at him hard.

So yeah, all I can say is that I've been confused by this since I first saw it at the age of seven, and now that I'm 33 I think it's time I finally get it cleared up! :))

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Only my opinion but I think she was setting up a distraction to help Bond
    Escape and also give the impression she'd been kidnapped by Bond.
    As she was terrified of Mr Big. :)
    Now I'm not saying I'm correct, only how I explain it to myself. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Yes, that's how I've always seen it as -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • PDJamesBondPDJamesBond Posts: 180MI6 Agent
    Thanks, guys -{

That's what I always assumed as well, but then that script excerpt only confused me more!

I appreciate the responses! {[]
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    I thought Bond was planning to use her as bait and she overheard him
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,688MI6 Agent
    Only my opinion but I think she was setting up a distraction to help Bond
    Escape and also give the impression she'd been kidnapped by Bond.
    As she was terrified of Mr Big. :)
    Now I'm not saying I'm correct, only how I explain it to myself. ;)

Yes, I concur, TP. This is exactly how I've always seen it - a distraction for Bond to be able to escape the villains and the plane trip of no return. I suppose that we finally get to see what Bond would have had in-store had he boarded the flight in the MR PTS. :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,281Chief of Staff
    Question answered from the horse's mouth:

In his book "Roger Moore as James Bond" (Pan, 1973), Moore says clearly that Solitaire's attack on Bond is a feint to distract the attention of his captors.

Topic closed.
This discussion has been closed.