Anyone up for a dumb question?

Ammo08Ammo08 Missouri, USAPosts: 387MI6 Agent
Over the years I've noticed in some books that a British character will refer to the people on the continent as "Europeans" as though the English aren't European...and that's my question, do ya'll consider yourselves European or something distinctly different?
"I don't know if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who mean it."-Mark Twain
'Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.'- Benny Hill (1924-1992)

Comments

• AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    There is a growing resentment of the EU here in the UK, and mostly so here in England.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • MrZarebaMrZareba Krakow, PolandPosts: 1,775MI6 Agent
    I also noticed this. Even when you're shopping on the internet you can see that the shipping price zones are usually titled as "US & Canada", "Asia", "Africa" and "UK & EU" :D Which always kinda made me thinking for a few seconds.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Britain will never be " European " :)) in fact if the rest of the
    World had any sense, THEY would be trying to join the UK ! :))
    ( Only my opinion, of course ) ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,220Chief of Staff
    Not being English, I sometimes find their sense of geography a little hard to swallow.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I for my part am happy that we have plenty of water between us and the UK so not many of these islanders hermits come over to here :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,519Chief of Staff
    I think it's got a lot to do with being an island...we don't 'feel' part of Europe as we have no 'immediate' borders with the rest of Europe...
    YNWA 97
    The Water is cold and Filthy anyway :))

Like what Sir Miles said, we feel isolated from the rest of Europe as we are on an Island. So we don't really feel the same Brotherly/Sisterly Relationship that the rest of the EU feels.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,519Chief of Staff
    The Water is cold and Filthy anyway :))

Along with the rest of Europe :D

Ok...it's a joke - I hope - before anyone gets offended ;%
    YNWA 97
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,673MI6 Agent
    edited August 2014
    Yes, as others have said the UK is on the very periphery of Europe and for centuries Britain has seen Europe as "that place over there" and does not really feel a part of that continent as the countries with land borders of course do. We are an island nation here in the UK too and have always felt somewhat aloof of Europe even though geographically we are of course a part of the European continent.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    Bring back the days when the world map was covered in red. :)) and you
    Could beat a path through customs with your British passport. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I suppose we can be considered the distant Cousin that only get's a Christmas Card once every ten Years :))
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MGOFa9qkmiI
    Jack Dee on changes, British passports etc. :))
    Sir Miles wrote:
    I think it's got a lot to do with being an island...we don't 'feel' part of Europe as we have no 'immediate' borders with the rest of Europe...

Well - tell that Iceland in that case, they fell pretty European if I'm correct :D
    Just proving that they're not British ! :))
    Bring back the days when the world map was covered in red. :)) and you
    Could beat a path through customs with your British passport. :))
    Just proving that they're not British ! :))

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
    Evidently, TP is on a run! Don't stop him, please :D

I'd like to point out I'm not Nigel Farage :D my rant is only a Joke :))
    I love all my European neighbours :x ( except the Norwegians, and I
    Blame Number24 for that ) :p ;) :))
    I can't lie, I love everybody ! :x
    I ain't neighbour (european or not) to a Pommy - Islander :D

I love it when you talk DIRTY! , now call me a bad girl ! :)) :p
    better! I call you Timboy, how's that? :v

:)) works for me!, ...... Now tell me what your wearing !!!!! :D
  • Ammo08Ammo08 Missouri, USAPosts: 387MI6 Agent
    Lord, that was fun.... :D Having very limited travel experience in the UK and Europe I've never had the chance to discuss this while over there...
    "I don't know if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who mean it."-Mark Twain
    'Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.'- Benny Hill (1924-1992)
    :)) works for me!, ...... Now tell me what your wearing !!!!! :D

Poison green trainers - of course!!

:)) :)) :))
    Now that's put me right off. :D
    Who needs lighting when you have Higgins Trainers? :))
    I'd like to point out I'm not Nigel Farage :D my rant is only a Joke :))
    I love all my European neighbours :x ( except the Norwegians, and I
    Blame Number24 for that ) :p ;) :))
    I can't lie, I love everybody ! :x

Nice to know - especially tham I'm a Polish guy NOT living in the UK, which makes me quite exceptional I suppose. :D
    Your Polish? I always thought you were some outer Space Potato Man (Futurama Reference)

I must say that your English is very good -{
    Your Polish? I always thought you were some outer Space Potato Man (Futurama Reference)

I must say that your English is very good -{

Thanking me, me being flatout!

(flattered, that is :D)

Well I've got my place of living next to my login so I thought that's common knowledge :D
    :)) {[]
  • agent 00agent 00 Univex Station L Netherlands Posts: 340MI6 Agent
    You British drive on the wrong side of the road :# , as we Europeans drive on the right side of the road :))
    Jan

" Sono Topolino, e tu chi saresti? ".
    http://www.facebook.com/agent00univex
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Yes, as others have said the UK is on the very periphery of Europe and for centuries Britain has seen Europe as "that place over there" and does not really feel a part of that continent as the countries with land borders of course do. we are an island nation here in the UK too and have always felt somewhat aloof of Europe even though geographically we are a part of the continent.

I get it. Sort of the way I felt growing up on the island of Manhattan, the "real" New York. The other four boroughs are just......well, you know, not quite "New York" enough! :))
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."