The 'Pulp Fiction' aspect of James Bond

chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
One thing I take away from reading the novels is the, heh heh, 'Devil may care' attitude he had when writing them. As if he wrote them to entertain himself mostly, and a larger audience secondarily. As the film versions were made, this small focus became a bit bigger, but even GF & TB had that indie feel to them. YOLT was a big change in that it felt like a BIG studio film. As much as I love it, I think it took bond away from the dirty gritty world of the lower budget 'Pulp Fiction' feel of it.
Similarly, TSWLM & MR, and OP turned Bond Movies into large events.
Movies like TLD, LTK & (to a smaller extent) GE brought back the 'budget' Bond that I believe worked for us so well.

Bottom line, I feel that large budgets hurt Bond movies. Bond was meant to be smallish, intense & a bit outside the norm.

Thoughts on this?
Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS

Comments

• FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Bond was meant to be smallish

hmm ! Interesting that someone would think that.

I can see your point thought. Personally, I enjoy the dynamic range of the Bond series and the fluctuating styles and budgets.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I don't think it was the big budget that, gave us some of the weaker
    Films. I'd put it down to the idea that each Bond film had to be bigger
    And more "out landish " than the last, along with having to have bigger
    and sometimes "sillier" gadgets.
    Usually these outlandish film are followed by better ? More down to earth
    Movies. -{ as the film makers realise they've gone too far.
    By the way I thought GoldenEye had a very healthy budget. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    I agree, chrisisall. For me, the film Pulp Fiction feels more like a Bond movie than most recent Bond films. The colour is satuated, the characters are larger than life and all are griping at each other, taking each other on a bit, even Jules and Vincent, who are friends. It has that macho slant, much like Connery who was always taking someone on, not just physically but psychologically.

P Fiction feels like an action film as there is always something going on but there is no action really in the form of car chases and fist fights even. That is like early Bond, they had everything to keep you on your toes: great music, wit, a change of scene, great characters esp villains and the sense that anything might happen within a realistic framework. Belatedly the Bonds became a franchise, a bit like the continuation novels.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    With that Logic, I suppose you can call the Bourne Films similar to Bond as well -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Chrisisall, when you mention "pulp fiction," you are refering to the general meaning of it, right, not the movie, "Pulp Fiction"? I agree that the charm of the books was how Fleming wrote primarily for his own pleasure and not trying to make anything grand or impressive about them. This is why the film series can never fully capture that charm, though as you said some have managed to at least capture the essence when the distraction of a grand production doesn't become a factor.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:
    Chrisisall, when you mention "pulp fiction," you are refering to the general meaning of it, right, not the movie,
    Yes, you got what I was on about. Great post!
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,689MI6 Agent
    With that Logic, I suppose you can call the Bourne Films similar to Bond as well -{

Though now with the Craig era Bonds many say it is the other way around, AOS! :))
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Especially those on CRAIGISNOTBOND 8-)
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,689MI6 Agent
    Especially those on CRAIGISNOTBOND 8-)

Yes, the bloody imbeciles! :))
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    The subject of this thread is also why, I believe, that QOS is my favourite so far of Craig's movies. It has that slightly 'unfinished' feel to it that makes it seem like a lower budget (I know it wasn't, but a lot of dough was wasted) rushed production, and I like that.
    So you like things that are un.............. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    chrisisall wrote:
    The subject of this thread is also why, I believe, that QOS is my favourite so far of Craig's movies. It has that slightly 'unfinished' feel to it that makes it seem like a lower budget (I know it wasn't, but a lot of dough was wasted) rushed production, and I like that.

I like QoS too (don't shoot me, please!), and I get what you mean here. It of course was rushed what with the 2008 Writer's Strike hitting it hard and the script being polished/written by director Marc Forster and the star Daniel Craig neither of whom were of course professional screenwriters. They also ran out of time, hence the unfinished feel to QoS. I do hope that they continue the Quantum part of the storyline of QoS in Bond 24 though.
    I've come round to thinking ( I thought I'd give it a go) :))
    I hated QOS ! and ignored the advise given to me by other
    Much smarter members. -{ To go back and read the books !
    I didn't do it for ages, kept thinking " they couldn't be right" .
    Eventually, I did go back and re-read the books, this time
    In order ( in fact I've just finished all the Fleming's and have
    Started Col Sun). Now comes my big Epiphany, :)) Those
    Members knew what they were talking about, -{
    From reading the books, I began to appreciate QOS. I could see
    It is a visual representation of the excitement and pace of the novels.
    They move along at a breakneck speed, with Bond as a blunt instrument.
    Disliking what many parts of his job entails, but taking a pride in doing
    It well.
    Now that I understand that, I'm a happy camper again. :)) Yes it probably
    Would have helped, not to of had the writer's strike etc, but with every viewing
    It climbs a little higher on my Bond film list. -{
    with every viewing
    It climbs a little higher on my Bond film list. -{
    That's nice to see. -{

Hey- here's an antithetical subdivision to this thread:
    Favourite BIG Budget Bonds....
    I like the smaller ones best, but here are my fave big boys in the budget department:

YOLT
    TND
    QOS
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    talking of Pulp fiction, the chapter "the slaughterer " in DR NO would, if turned into film ,would certainly be
    worthy of any Tarantino film ,
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:

Agreed, QoS resonates with me on so many level, one of them being the way how most people treat it like their ugly step-child. It was so un-Bond, so rough and tumble and thinking about this topic, so fantastical without being too stupendous in the YOLT/TSWLM scale, like the use of an old DC3 with Bond and girl base-jumping into a cavern, a nearly deserted solar hotel in the Bolivian wasteland, the high-powered cocktail party in that derelict building, the stealing of a tux at that weird opera, Bond's meeting with Leiter in that dive within a tenament...all vividly textured stuff you'd expect to read in a cheap pocket book from the grocery check-out counter.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • BIG TAMBIG TAM Wrexham, North Wales, UK.Posts: 773MI6 Agent
    I too like the lower budget feel of QOS, even though it's obviously a large scale affair. It shares similar qualities with LTK. It feels taut & satisfies with every viewing - heck, I don't even mind the shaky camera stuff anymore! It has a unique feel that's difficult to describe. I anticipate it'll be re-appraised in years to come, much like OHMSS is now.