Dalton in CR

AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
Thinking about this all Day, if CR had been Dalton's third Bond Outing do you think that it would had been at the same Level as the CR we got Years later? Or would it have been more like LTK?
1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Well, it wouldn't have been at all. They wouldn't use a introductory story for an established Bond. IMO, of course.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Meant to say if it was not an Introductory Story, but a traditional follow up -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Then it would have been similar in tone to TLD. And the torture scene would have been sanitized a bit I expect...
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Dalton would have been brilliant {[]
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,200Chief of Staff
    I know this isn't the point, but Eon didn't have the rights to film CR in Dalton's time as Bond.
    I know, but we can wonder cant we? -{
    Of course! I think Dalton could have pulled it off, but don't think the writers etc would have made such a good job of it at the time.
    The torture scene may of had a bit more balloon bursting. ;)

Seriously, I liked LTK and think if it had of been more successful ( and they had
    The rights ) CR may have been even more "gritty" or Fleming like. -{ but as already
    Pointed out, we can only ponder -{ or quarter ponder, Ponder Royale, if you will. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Don't we have a thread on Pulp Fiction somewhere...? :))
    Trying to link Tarantino to CR ( as he once had an interest ) ;) :D
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Dalton in CR would have put the franchise over the edge.

I am glad that it did not happen! -{
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Higgins wrote:

Thanks Higgins, your opinion is very, er... much your opinion!
    If the op only wanted to have another Dalton-praising thread created, he'd told that in the headline :D

My opinion is as valid as yours - though yours is wrong! :v

Higgins wrote:
    though yours is wrong! :v
    You're making me misty-eyed....;)
    I value ALL Opinions ! -{ ........................................................................... Especially My Own !!! :))
    Higgins wrote:

Wouldn't be a Dalton Thread without Bondto.... Er I mean Higgins Input ;) :))
    chrisisall wrote:
    You're making me misty-eyed....;)

You are trying hard, but I won't send you a membership application for "The Club".

Try harder ! :D

• Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:

The Dalton-300 plus million box office movie "failure" theories. With all due respect, the franchise was never "near the edge" as you put it. Not with Lazenby, nor with Moore, Dalton, Brosnan or Craig. But certainly not with Dalton, that's for sure. The legal battles could have killed it (as the one fought by EON just after LTK), but not an actor. Well, perhaps if they had cast a very wrong actor like Clint Eastwood, Burt Reynolds...

Timothy Dalton would have been fantastic in CR, of course. A pitty they didn't have the rights back then.
    Yeah, these "theories" .... 8-)
    Such as my favorite theory that the strong competition ate LTK results
    Or that the lawsuit has nearly killed the franchise and it's majorly the reason why they did not go with Dalton anymore :D

As for your calculation: Keep in mind, that the 300 mio plus have not been made in the first 8 weeks and the comparison of budget vs. box office over the years does not really represent the real profit that a movie made.

There are huge factors like license fees, distribution cost, overhead etc, so the 300 mio sound like a lot. But in reality they weren't!
    Just look at Indie Jones and Batman numbers ;) These have been successfully movies! At the same time - in the same market.

And I don't want to repeat UA's take on Dalton's acceptance - even you deny it :D

The torture scene may of had a bit more balloon bursting. ;)

:)) :)) :))

I can almost bet that there would have been the Line 'Buy yourself some decent Clothes' :))
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    Well, the only thing we know for sure is that we wouldn't have had any poker in CR.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Dalton would have been brilliant {[]

+1
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    Higgins wrote:
    Or that the lawsuit has nearly killed the franchise and it's majorly the reason why they did not go with Dalton anymore :D
    Wow, you really have a hard time with numbers, yo. Dalton said he'd play Bond whilst in his fourties. (That's like, 41 through 49), and by 1994 when production was to resume on the next film, he turned 50 (50 is more than 49). So he dropped out to make way for a younger chap. :))
    Higgins wrote:
    Such as my favorite theory that the strong competition ate LTK results

As for your calculation: Keep in mind, that the 300 mio plus have not been made in the first 8 weeks and the comparison of budget vs. box office over the years does not really represent the real profit that a movie made.

There are huge factors like license fees, distribution cost, overhead etc, so the 300 mio sound like a lot. But in reality they weren't!
    Just look at Indie Jones and Batman numbers ;) These have been successfully movies! At the same time - in the same market.

And I don't want to repeat UA's take on Dalton's acceptance - even you deny it :D

Yes, I know a little about Hollywood accounting practices, and how contracts are negotiated on a gross income (not net) basis just because studios are interested in showing as little profit as possible to the taxman. That is not relevant, a 300 million plus box office (25 years ago 300 million, not 2014) can't be considered a failure, or a "near the edge" movie.

You think that another Dalton movie would have put the franchise "over the edge", fine. Not true or realistic given the numbers, but it's your opinion. UA probably blamed Dalton, as you do. However, they were not gods, just a bunch of business execs who didn't know better.

Had EON done back in 1992 what they did in 2006, take a great Fleming novel (my favourite, CR), do a great movie and sell it well, they would have succeeded. With Dalton, Brosnan or other actor. In fact, Craig was not particularly well accepted as Bond when he was cast. But they sold him well, and they sold CR well.
    The 300 mio are inflation- adjusted ;)

chrisisall wrote:
    Higgins wrote:
    Wow, you really have a hard time with numbers, yo. Dalton said he'd play Bond whilst in his fourties. (That's like, 41 through 49), and by 1994 when production was to resume on the next film, he turned 50 (50 is more than 49). So he dropped out to make way for a younger chap. :))

I am better with numbers than you.
    If you read some of the previously provided sources, Dalton stepped back and prevented that Cubby had to fire him.
    I have no doubt about him being a gentlemen ( but still a bad Bond) and Cubby was as well. It would be totally naive to assume that there was no conversation between them before Dalton officially stepped down.

Higgins wrote:
    I am better with numbers than you.

:))
    Higgins wrote:
    The 300 mio are inflation- adjusted ;)

True. Anyway,had they sold GE or CR as they did with LTK, Brosnan/Craig would have been a failures too. No product, however good, will sell by itself.
    woulda shoulda coulda