License Renewed - A Critical Analysis

AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
Time to put my Silhouette Man Hat on ;)

Re-reading through LR for the third Time and coming to the realization that it's my favorite of the Gardner Novels. This made me decide to 'publish' a deeper Look on the Novel, including my pro's and con's.

Released in 1981, after a VERY long Period of having no official Bond Novels set in the Literary Universe (The Novelizations of TSWLM and MR by Christopher Wood do not count) This got released to rather mixed critical Reaction by Fans and Reviewers alike. The Times commented by saying that the Novel has 'No Life of it's own' And Kingsley Amis, who wrote the last Official Bond Novel 'Colonel Sun' claimed that the Book was 'So sodding tame and was bad enough by any reasonable Standard'

Gardner updated things for the 80's. Bond is now smoking less, drinking less and is using modern Cars and other Equipment from that time. The changing Face of Politics in the early 80's has also been noted. The '007 Section' has been abolished, and more Restrictions have been placed on the Secret Service. M comments on this by saying 'That they will have us punching in time Clocks before long' But to him, Bond will always be '007' and 'Will only receive Orders directly from him and no one else'

The Story kicks off with a Man entering an Airport Toilet, armed with a false Costume and a Briefcase. We read that he has studied the Art of 'Changing ones Identity' through Books and other Materials. Gardner describes this in some Detail, and it puts you in the Scene. The next Chapter, we read about Bond on his way back to London after a rather pleasant Weekend has been spoilt by M requiring his Presence. The Situation is this, a wanted Terrorist named Franco has been visiting a Nuclear expert called Anton Murik rather a lot lately. Naturally, this has got MI5, MI6 and Scotland Yard worried to Point of bringing in Bond.

Bond's first Objective is too gain Murik's Trust, and he does this by meeting him and his entourage by bumping into each other at Ascot. After some rather crafty swindling of a Pearl Necklace, Bond is given Murik's 'Business Card' but not before he passes himself off as a 'Mercenary for hire' We then read about Bond traveling up to Scotland and into the Murik Estate, where he has a chance Encounter with the Muscle called 'Caber' It's during his stay at the Castle, that Bond learns about 'Operation Meltdown' Murik's Plan to destroy several nuclear Power Stations around the World unless he receives a hefty Ransom and Permission to build his own Reactor. We also have a fairly good Description of the Highland Games, including a Wrestling Match with Cabar where Bond knocks him out.

Bond attempts a daring Escape, but is captured on the Roads outside the Castle before getting interrogated in murik's Dungeon. The Action then moves to France, which include an escape and Man Hunt through a French Town by Cabar and the Gang. It's here where Mary Jane Mashkin meets here End via the Sniper Rifle of Franco. This leads us into an exciting Shootout between Bond and the aforementioned Terrorist. Bond is re-captured and taken to an Airport alongside Lavender Peacock, who turns out to be the true aire to the Murik Estate. After a few Scenes of them in a Cell, we are then taken to the large Plane where the whole Plan will unfold. This whole Sequence is described very well by Gardner, as he shows us that the main Villain has a semi-good Reason for what he wants. After a Struggle where Murik is rendered KO by bond, he then learns the 'Stand down Code' that makes the selected Groups of Terrorists abort the Plan. The Fight between Bond and Cabar always reminds me of the one from The Living Daylights, between Bond and Necros. After bond saves the Day, we then learn that murik has escaped and is on his way back to the Castle. He is shot by Bond and the whole affair is over.

License Renewed is a good Start for Gardner, who has a Reputation amongst the Bond Circle for the declining Quality of his following Works. The Book came out during the same Year as For Your Eyes Only, where the Films returned to the Books after two Outings that were OTT and outlandish. The Books High points are it's interesting, but simple Plot about the Dangers of Nuclear Power and how to deal with the Problems when it all goes wrong. Bond is like he was before, apart from a few Differences that clash with what Fleming gave to the Character originally. The Book has it's Low Points and these come in the Form of the two main Antagonists, Murik and Franco. Murik just does not have the same Evilness about him, that Blofeld or Goldfinger had. And Franco's Character hardly develops past 'Being an Expert in Disguise'

I would give this first Effort a strong 8/10
1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Thanks for that interesting review, AOS, well-balanced and detailed.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Cheers {[]

I plan on covering the following Gardner Installments at some Point.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I remember loving it :x it had been so long since anything new in Bond literature.
    I think I read it in one sitting. Really liked the updated 007, as my big bro had a
    Saab 900, I could identify with it. -{ , thought the car chase using the " night finder"
    Goggles, was inspired ( wish they'd use it in a film ) .
    Not as good as Fleming or Amis ( or Wood, come to that :)) ) but I still enjoyed it ! :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Yes, the Saab 900 looks like a rather decent Car from Pictures I've seen of it -{
    Built like a Tank !, I remember driving it and looking down at the
    Speedometer, to realise I was doing well over 100 mph :)) , it was so
    Quiet and well built, I hadn't noticed :D
    In my old Vauxhall nova, hitting around 80 the whole dash would shake,
    Along with the steering wheel like something out of Star Trek when the
    Enterprise hits warp Ten ! :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    What happened to it?
    :)) He sold it for BMW ! :D which was must faster !!!!
    Unless you were talking about my crappy Vauxhall nova ?
    ( Which got wrapped round a tree ! )
    :))

I forgot to mention the Saab in my Review :# I will when I do one about FSS. It's ironic that Amis called the Book terrible, when I found Colonel Sun to be rather dull -{
    I'm reading Col Sun at the moment :))
    Shame he never wrote any more after that :#
    Yes, I'm really enjoying it but I think Fleming's wife wasn't a fan
    And stopped any further books. :#
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Nice review AOS, I haven't read it in a long time, you have certainly given it some thought and I agree with your scoring. -{
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • stagstag Posts: 2,083MI6 Agent
    I think I have this book. I shall endeavour to dig it out & read it. From memory I think I have another from the Gardner series too (Bond in Hong Kong???)
    Cheers -{

I'm planning on covering the entire Gardner Output -{
  • stagstag Posts: 2,083MI6 Agent
    It is entirely as a result of your critique. I have read this book in the past but many years ago.
    I'll look forward to your reviews of the Gardner series, AOS. As I've already
    Posted he's definitely Not Fleming, but on the whole I did enjoy his Books. -{
    For Special Services is my Favourite Gardner Bond book, ( so you'd better be
    Kind ) :v , only joking :))
    Near the end of his run the quality did fall off a bit, but as I've said I did enjoy
    His tenure, I loved finding out about the "real" spy toys that were out at the time.
    Although it does seem odd now, reading how Bond had to connect to phones various
    Scrambler devices or having to find a public phone. When your first reaction is " Why
    Doesn't he use his mobile ?" Only to remember it hadn't been invented yet ! :))
    :)) FSS is so well crafted that I cant wait to give it a Review. Not a lot of Readers give Gardner a Chance, and his Books are never mentioned when Documentaries about the Bond Literary Universe are made. Stag, the Book your thinking of is No Deals Mr Bond
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    Great to read that review AOS. It brings back happy memories and reminds me I really need to reread LR again at some point. I hope I inspired you to get writing about Bond in a positive way! :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    -{ This is my first proper Review, and I tried to stick close your Style of Critique. I might wright out the Review for FSS tomorrow if I can be assed :))
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    -{ This is my first proper Review, and I tried to stick close your Style of Critique. I might wright out the Review for FSS tomorrow if I can be assed :))

I look forward to reading it when it's ready, AOS! :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    Like I said earlier, FSS is a well crafted Bond Adventure and you can tell Gardner was having fun. Before he started to repeat himself a lot with later Works.
    Yes many of his later book have a strong sense of deja vu. :)
    I forgot to mention Gardner's need to write in Scotch-English for Caber's Lines :))
    I've decided to keep this on the same Thread, for consistency sake.

For Special Services was released in 1982 one Year after his Bond Novel Debut License Renewed. In a lot of Ways, this Installment is better then the previous and you can tell Gardner was having fun with it. Again, Reviews were negative with the New York Times saying that 'The Novel was a Dud' and Kingsley Amis once again having a Dig at Gardner by saying that it's 'An unrelieved Disaster, absurd and blundering'

Gardner continues with the same Pace as before, crafting an excellent Bond Thriller with his own Ingredients. Lets take a look at it, shall we?

The Story kicks off with a High, literally. An Airports Crew has received a Distress Signal from a Plane that has been taken over Armed Terrorists. But the Hijackers have not counted on James Bond 007 being on board along with several Members of SAS. Turns out that there has been a state of Terrorist Actions as of late, and Security has been ramped up on all Western Flights. Bond and Members of SAS deal with the Situation in a very Die Hard like Manner, Years before those Films came out. One of the Hijackers manages to survive and gives a very startling bit of Information, something that bond hoped he would never hear for the rest of his Life.

S.P.E.C.T.R.E, Special Executive for Counter-intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion is back. The very Group that Bond thought was gone forever. The very Group that brutally killed Bonds Wife, Tracy. We then read about a Mansion in the Deep South, amongst the Swamps and Bayous of Louisiana. It's here that a Meeting is taking Place, this is a S.P.E.C.T.R.E Meeting. The Scene is described very well, a long Room with large Windows and a long Table. There are Heads of the Group sitting at this Table, with the new 'Blofeld' acting as No1. On the Agenda of todays Meeting, is the Progress of the recent Hijackings and what has been gained from them. The whole Scene is very reminiscent of Thunderball, where Fleming introduced Bond Fans to Ernst Stavro Blofeld who was the original Head of S.P.E.C.T.R.E. The Curtains suddenly open, and the only surviving Member of the failed Plane Hijacking is on view outside. He is hanging upside down and facing several very large Pythons, who devour him alive. The whole Scene is described in brutal Detail by Gardner.

Then the Subject of James Bond comes up, as the current Leader of the worlds greatest Terrorist Organization has a personal Vendetta against the British Agent. And plans to have Bond killed in there latest Scheme. We then cut to Bond in Bed with Q'ute, the current head of Q Branch who reminds James of his late Wife Tracy. We even get a well described Scene of carnage by the Roadside. Bond is summoned to M's Office for a Special Meeting. This is where we are introduced to Ceder Leiter, the Daughter of Bonds old CIA Chum, Felix. It's here that we learn about the revival of S.P.E.C.T.R.E, and it's suspected Leader Markus Bismaquer. He is a Collector of Artwork, and M instructs Bond and Cedar to go to the States and sell a couple of Hogarth Prints so that they can infiltrate his Compound under the Guise of Dealers.

America had last been a Setting for a Bond Novel, way back in Goldfinger (Or 007 in New York if you want to get technical) So Gardner has updated the Country for the 80's. Bond mentions that the New York of today, is different from what he remembers and is disappointed in how a lot of Things have changed. He even recalls Mr Big, from Live And Let Die in some Detail. The Hotel there staying at, gets attacked by several S.P.E.C.T.R.E Agents who say they are Representatives of Markus Bismaquer. Following a Fight Scene in there Room, involving Knifes and Blood, the Lifts are sabotaged and Bond and Ceder escape in a Scene that would be later adapted for 1985's A View To A Kill They escape from the City and are faced with a long Drive to Texas, where Ranch Bismaquer is located. They eventually reach there, and are allowed Entrance via a Monorail System.

The Ranch of Markus is where the majority of the Book takes place. We are greeted to his Wife, Nena Bismaquer who has a hatred for her Husband due to his 'Abusive' Nature. Bond and Cedar are shown to there Accommodation, two Cabins amongst the Trees. It's here that things get Fiery, Bond has Sex with Nena who admits to him that she has only one Breast. The whole Scene is rather awkward, and not something Fleming would write. Later on, Cedar returns to her Cabin only find her Room full of ants. Floor and Walls covered in them. Bond blows up the Building, and a Car that he steals on the way back. We are also treated to an intense Car Race against Walter Luxor, that Bonds obviously Wins.

Nena shows Bond a secret passage that leads into the main Building, which he Suspects to be the Meeting Hall for S.P.E.C.T.R.E. He later uses this to sneak into the Meeting and hear of there Plans. The Groups plan is to take control of NORAD, the American Space Satellite Network. Bond gets all the Details he needs before attempting to escape. After a Shootout below the Monorail, Bond is knocked out and brainwashed into thinking he is a U.S General who will be killed when S.P.E.C.T.R.E attack the Control Center. But the whole thing goes awry when Bond regains his Senses. Turns out that someone has taken a liking to Bond, and the Hypnosis is sabotaged. The Guards manage to repel the invading Forces and they make there retreat.

Nena turns up in a Helicopter to reunite with Bond. After some Discussion, they then fly to the same Mansion described in the first few Chapters. It's here that everything is laid out in the open. Bond learns of Nena's true Identity as the current Leader of S.P.E.C.T.R.E, and her being the Daughter of Blofeld. She says that her Mother 'Was a French Whore who lived with her Father for a couple of Years' She has killed Markus for his failure of the Plan and then attempts to shoot Bond, but kills Walter instead. Bond throws a Chair at her which knocks her out of the Window, only to be killed by the same Group of Pythons that she claimed to be Pets. We also get an Appearance by Felix Leiter, who had been absent from the Novels since The Man With The Golden Gun

For Special Services is another strong Effort by Gardner who is following on from the previous High of License Renewed. He hardly falters here and this winning Streak would continue into his next Bond Adventure, Icebreaker.

9/10
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Did you feel Gardner was more confident than last time, more settled, or beginning to fall into formula? Were the villains better sketched? Did the "Felix's daughter" angle help or feel weird?
    Having Nena show herself as the main Villain at the End was a well Scripted bit of Storytelling. Bond and Ceder teaming up was an Angle I've always like about this Novel -{
    I thought Gardner really felt secure in "his" Bond with FSS. I love the
    Scale of it, Billionaire with a private town, race track, airport and
    Railway ! -{ , the attack on the satellite control centre, is very visual.
    I agree the twist at the end is very good, Nena being an interesting
    Character.
    FSS is my favourite Gardner Bond adventure, I've read it many times.
    I agree with a 9/10. {[]
    Yes -{ A much better head of S.P.E.C.T.R.E then Tamil Rahini in ROH and NLF :#
    I sort of felt sorry for old Tamil, he just never got a break , except
    For falling out of that Airship ! :))
    "Goodyear ?" .............. " NO!, The worst !". :)) ( The naked gun )
    I'll give it a fair Review -{