Who was Jaws working for in MR's PTS?

Brosnan_fanBrosnan_fan Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 521MI6 Agent
He certainly wasn't working for Drax at that time (Come to think of it, how could he have fit in that plane, without Bond knowing about it? :s :p ).

Thoughts?
"Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."

Comments

• Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Excellent question. Have no answer, but the Moore epics more or less hinted there were a variety of big, SPECTRE-like criminal organizations in operation even if they did not name them directly -- Drax seems to be getting employees from some sort of henchman employment agency.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I assumed Jaws went where the work took him. :D I'm sure
    There's always a super villain looking for a Henchman ! ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Richard Maibaum wanted to bring Jaws back in For Yours Eyes Only, but he couldn't think of a way to implement him into the Story.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    I must admit, I always thought Jaws had been freelancing between Stromberg's demise and his recruitment by Drax.

Its another of those little moments by Michael Lonsdale that is brilliant as Drax is talking logistics on the phone..
    "...now about a replacement for Cha. (Pause) Oh Yes, well if you can get HIM of course...!". A rare delicious moment of pleased surprise for this very conservative and brilliant Bond baddie!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    Jaws must have had a brilliant CV, let's face it, he failed at many attempts in TSWLM. Guess he had the the Teflon factor.

Of course, for Jaws' return in MR he had a totally different look didn't he, in the first film he had a fringe and double breasted suit that seemed very sinister, in the next he seem to have aged 10 years and was wearing your granddad's out on the allotment then down the pub outfit, big trews and braces. But an equally iconic look, appropriately not as sinister as previous, and stops the whole thing from seeming like a rehash of past glories.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    01_5.jpg
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    I think Jaws is working for the pilot that Bond sends into freefall.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    I think Jaws is working for the pilot that Bond sends into freefall.

That's a good common sense answer and I believe it holds true. I concur, hehadlotsofguts! :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    "Strange, how anyone who employs Jaws, seems to die ! ". :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I've always wondered what Mission was about -{
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    An even better question: how did a 7'4" man with gleaming metal teeth manage to hide in a tiny airplane and sneak up behind Bond?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    I think like Superman, he put on a pair of glasses and no one
    Recognise him ! :))
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Richard Maibaum wanted to bring Jaws back in For Yours Eyes Only, but he couldn't think of a way to implement him into the Story.

I'm glad that never happened. I think the inclusion of Jaws would have ruined the generally grounded and realistic tone of FYEO that makes it my favorite Roger Moore Bond film.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    Yes, I agree -{
    +1, Jaws would have been totally out of place in FYEO. -{
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    Thunderbird Too.

Jaws is a brilliant Bond henchman, menacing and memorable alongside Rosa Klebb, Odd Job, and Nic Nac. However FYEO was not the right film of the character. Chimney stack Blofeld and red Grant III Eric Kreigler were enough. Many will disagree but I feel Jaws atypical ending in Moonraker a fitting one.

I was very sorry to learn of Richard Kiel's recent passing, my condolences to his friends and family. :#
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent

I'm glad that never happened. I think the inclusion of Jaws would have ruined the generally grounded and realistic tone of FYEO that makes it my favorite Roger Moore Bond film.

Yes, the For Your Eyes Only film annual says just this in fact in a quote attributed to director John Glen - he says they were thinking of bringing Jaws back in FYEO but they could not find anywhere to fit him in and the more serious tone of the film was not suited to the comical henchman Jaws had become by that stage. And as others have said, Jaws was happily wrapped up with the MR film so there was no need for a return where he would presumably have been an ally to Bond.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent
    MR is one of those cases where the PTS has nothing to do with the rest of the movie. It's the "last leg" of the "african job", so I assume Jaws is working for the guy who fights Bond, as is the stewardess. Or they are all henchpersons and they were all working for a villain who Bond just killed.

Maibaum was a good scriptwriter, and he realised there was no way to pull it off. Glad he did.
    Thunderbird Too.

Jaws is a brilliant Bond henchman, menacing and memorable alongside Rosa Klebb, Odd Job, and Nic Nac. However FYEO was not the right film of the character. Chimney stack Blofeld and red Grant III Eric Kreigler were enough. Many will disagree but I feel Jaws atypical ending in Moonraker a fitting one.

I was very sorry to learn of Richard Kiel's recent passing, my condolences to his friends and family. :#

Jaws was brilliant, indeed. Slightly off topic, but I think a key aspect of Moore's movies is that the henchmen were all very imaginative, if you think about it. Tee Hee and Whisper in LALD, Nic Nac in TMWTGG, Jaws of course. Then comes FYEO and because the movie is more like FRWL the henchman is a Red Grant type of guy. But then, OP, the twins (those are fantastic) and Gobinda, AVTAK, Grace Jones...
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia, PAPosts: 753MI6 Agent
    I must admit, I always thought Jaws had been freelancing between Stromberg's demise and his recruitment by Drax.

Its another of those little moments by Michael Lonsdale that is brilliant as Drax is talking logistics on the phone..
    "...now about a replacement for Cha. (Pause) Oh Yes, well if you can get HIM of course...!". A rare delicious moment of pleased surprise for this very conservative and brilliant Bond baddie!

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Jaws was on a freelance/revenge mission to get back at James. That is a fantastic moment of Moonraker when Drax is on the phone with the Hitman Hotline.
  • dr. evan-gelistdr. evan-gelist SheffieldPosts: 398MI6 Agent
    I've always wondered what Mission was about -{

I think bond was going home by private jet and he got on after seeing the woman on board. The villain was hidden as pilot and jaws co pilot. It was set up by blofeld to kill him similar to opening credits on fyeo.
    So I would say jaws was in turn working for blofeld and is apparently a pilot.

My question is although any shot inside a plane isnt good, why shoot the instruments and the sequence could have involved the woman.
    "You're in the wrong business... leave it to the professionals!"
    James Bond- Licence To Kill
  • QuistQuist Posts: 61MI6 Agent
    I am definitely intrigued to know what the story was behind this mission. Maybe there is a draft of the Moonraker script out there that explains it?
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,317Chief of Staff
    There are a few lines in Christopher Wood's novelisation which don't explain much, indicating that 007 knew that the stewardess and pilot were villains before the flight but decided to play along.