Who should win the Nobel peace prize?

Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,793MI6 Agent
In October the next winner of the Nobel Peace Prize will be anonced. Who do you want to win?(and how many of the replies on this thread will be serious? ?:) )

I nominate Edward Snowden. Then we will get the funny situation where a former Peace prize winner will lean hard on the Norwegian government to arrest this year's winner :))
I also think he is a worthy winner.

Comments

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    + on Snowden.

IMO he's a hero and not a snitch
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I'd like to see Malala Yousafzai get it, for her work on equal rights for all women.
    It would send a great message to the Taliban and other ass h*les, who want to
    Use and control women. An Education should be a basic right for all, not a privilege
    For a few.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    1 + Snowden
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,793MI6 Agent
    I'd like to see Malala Yousafzai get it, for her work on equal rights for all women.
    Use and control women. An Education should be a basic right for all, not a privilege
    For a few.

A good candidate, and now she has showed she has staying power.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,689MI6 Agent
    For a few.

Well said, the Islamonazis want to return the world to the Stone Age and I'd support anyone who takes a stand against them! They treat women in an appalling fashion and the sooner they are wiped out by military action the better. -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    It was an absolute disgrace that Malala Yousafzai wasn't awarded the prize last year. It should be a no-brainer this year.

As for Edward Snowden, anyone who claims to be acting on behalf of freedom of speech and freedom of the press and then seeks refuge in China and Russia can't be taken seriously.
    So we have to wipe out the people who want to wipe out people who have other views than themselves? :v :))

Seiously, people like ISIS who have openly declared war against the West and People who worship Allah differntly from how they do have to be stopped. A part of that action must be military.
    It was an absolute disgrace that Malala Yousafzai wasn't awarded the prize last year. It should be a no-brainer this year.

As for Edward Snowden, anyone who claims to be acting on behalf of freedom of speech and freedom of the press and then seeks refuge in China and Russia can't be taken seriously.

Moving to China and Russia was not a good PR move for Snowden. Iceland or Paraguay would probsbly have let him in, but then what?

The US even forced a president's plane down and illegaly searched it when they suspected Snowden was on board. Snowden probably thought the US wouldn't dare to do something like that against China or Russia.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent

I have a problem with that as well.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • cheldcheld Posts: 300MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Seiously, people like ISIS who have openly declared war against the West and People who worship Allah differntly from how they do have to be stopped. A part of that action must be military.

So I take it you have enlisted and are on your way to Syria?
    Give this year's to Snowden.

Take Obama's back and give it to Malala.

Well staying in countries that are under the influence of the USA would have been stupid.

Obama made it clear that Snowden will be treated as a spy and I prefer Swowden in freedom and telling us more about the NSA activities than rotting in a military cell and being shut quiet that way.

Consensus here is that the NSA activities are far beyond anything which correlates to international law - so the USA can hardly claim to give him a fair trial for discovering and publishing these nasty activities as they still go on and noone in the administration sees something wrong in them.

Just to add that any republican government would not act any better in that matter.

Just my 2 cents.

edited September 2014

Hong Kong is not China (HK has an extradition treaty with the US, PRC does not), and Snowden's original plan was to use the Moscow airport as a stopover point, without exiting the terminal and entering Russian territory. Well actually Snowden's original plan may have been to stay in HK longer, but once US Justice charged him he became subject to arrest and extradition.

Furthermore, under international Conventions, a defendant's request for political asylum trumps a nation's request for extradition, and extradition can also be denied if it is believed that the defendant will be tortured (a la Chelsea ne Bradley Manning, who was held in solitary confinement for nine months).
    Given some of the arguments we've had on AJB, Perhaps we could
    Nominate our own Mods. :D ( for keeping the peace ) ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    {:)
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Number24 wrote:

Moving to China and Russia was not a good PR move for Snowden. Iceland or Paraguay would probsbly have let him in, but then what?

The US even forced a president's plane down and illegaly searched it when they suspected Snowden was on board. Snowden probably thought the US wouldn't dare to do something like that against China or Russia.

I think it goes beyond not being a good PR move. I think Snowden is a naïve attention seeker who didn't think anything through properly. The CIA has never been a boy scout organisation. Anyone who thinks that any major intelligence organisation in the world is squeaky clean is naïve. He voluntarily, willingly - and probably excitedly - accepted a job with the CIA, clearly he hadn't thought through what the CIA does. Did he have a genuine pang of conscience once he was there and saw what the CIA does, or did he simply become another Generation-Me spoiled brat who didn't like his job and decided to spit his dummy and go public? I'm not condoning what the CIA does but none of his revelations are in the slightest bit surprising to anyone with any interest in world affairs. There isn't a government out there that doesn't keep an eye on its own people and on its closest allies. Is it right? No. Does it violate our individual rights? Yes. Is it part of life in the world today? Regrettably yes. Do you really think any of the governments who learned they were being watched by the US were actually surprised? No. However, once it's made public, they have to act with indignance...and then they share single malts with their U.S. counterparts afterwards.

If Snowden was indeed horrified that the CIA was violating the very essence of the freedoms upon which the U.S. was built and thrives, there is no way on earth he could ever contemplate going to China or Russia, two countries in which those who speak out against the government are routinely harrassed at best and disappear at worst. Snowden's indignation would have been far more palatable had he indeed headed to Iceland. By seeking refuge in Russia, his actions pang to me of naivety, opportunism or a political agenda, not a desire to make the U.S. a better place.

I should add that I am a big supporter of whistleblowers, I just don't believe that Snowden qualifies for any acclaim for his actions.
    Again, he went to Hong Kong and not to China.
    And his stay in Russia was intended to be a stopover and after noone seemed to give him asylum, he had to stay there.

If you accept violation of your civil rights, you have stopped to live in a free society.
    It's not a fact of modern life and we should fight for these and support those who make these violations public.
    Accepting violations of our civil rights means that he people behind 911 where successfully in eroding our values.

And right on cue... :007)

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/5d1a9c5bfd514b429817b6c804cb2be2/snowden-honored-alternative-nobel

By KARL RITTER
    Sep. 24, 2014 11:38 AM EDT

STOCKHOLM (AP) — Edward Snowden was among the winners Wednesday of a Swedish human rights award, sometimes referred to as the "alternative Nobel," for his disclosures of top secret surveillance programs.
    He voluntarily, willingly - and probably excitedly - accepted a job with the CIA, clearly he hadn't thought through what the CIA does. Did he have a genuine pang of conscience once he was there and saw what the CIA does, or did he simply become another Generation-Me spoiled brat who didn't like his job and decided to spit his dummy and go public?

* Gets the agency Snowden worked for wrong
    * Engages in ageist ad hominem

Welcome to my Bozo Bin.
    Oh here we go 8-)
    Higgins wrote:
    Again, he went to Hong Kong and not to China.
    And his stay in Russia was intended to be a stopover and after noone seemed to give him asylum, he had to stay there.

If you accept violation of your civil rights, you have stopped to live in a free society.
    It's not a fact of modern life and we should fight for these and support those who make these violations public.
    Accepting violations of our civil rights means that he people behind 911 where successfully in eroding our values.

I don't believe acknowledging the fact that spying on citizens and other countries has become routine in this day and age, as our friend The Domino Effect has done, is the same as accepting the violation of our civil rights. Of course we should continue to resist such infringements, and Snowden's actions have probably added fuel to keep such resistance alive. And I don't mean to speak for our friend because he has expressed himself quite eloquently, but I believe one of the points he is making is that perhaps Snowden is at best naive and at worst an attention-seeking "Generation-Me spoiled brat". In terms of the big picture, it doesn't matter to me because I believe Snowden brought attention to some things that needed to be exposed. But I'm not so sure about awarding him a Nobel prize.
    In terms of the big picture, it doesn't matter to me because I believe Snowden brought attention to some things that needed to be exposed.

Here we agree, old friend!

As for him being an attention seeker etc:

1. Every Secret Service (insert the country of choice) will do EVERYTHING to discredit a wistleblower of the format of Snowden. So we should take every information on that topic with 2 grains of salt.

2. I am sure that if he really had other motives, he could have made a LOT more money with his knowledge than he's doing today.

There has to be something Freudian in a thread about a peace prize
    That ends up in a heated discussion. ;) :)) {:)
    Higgins wrote:
    In terms of the big picture, it doesn't matter to me because I believe Snowden brought attention to some things that needed to be exposed.

1. Every Secret Service (insert the country of choice) will do EVERYTHING to discredit a wistleblower of the format of Snowden. So we should take every information on that topic with 2 grains of salt.

2. I am sure that if he really had other motives, he could have made a LOT more money with his knowledge than he's doing today.

Yes -{
    cheld wrote:

Welcome to my Bozo Bin.

I suspect your Bozo Bin has many people whose company I would quite enjoy.
    Higgins wrote:

You make some good points my learned friend. Believe me, I'm as much of a skeptic as you are when it comes to ANY government's response to a whistleblower. Again, in the long run I believe Snowden has done more good than harm. But that doesn't mean I don't harbor a bit of skepticism about him and his actions as well. For that reason I'm in no rush to award him a Nobel Prize. Perhaps as more time passes and more information is revealed, I'll be more convinced he is deserving of that high honor.
    The Thread has Peace in the Title, but it's descended into a Mud slinging Match :))
    Hevoluntarily, willingly - and probably excitedly - accepted a job with the CIA, clearly he hadn't thought through what the CIA does.

If Snowden was indeed horrified that the CIA was violating the very essence of the freedoms upon which the U.S. was built and thrives, there is no way on earth he could ever contemplate going to China or Russia, two countries in which those who speak out against the government are routinely harrassed at best and disappear at worst. Snowden's indignation would have been far more palatable had he indeed headed to Iceland. By seeking refuge in Russia, his actions pang to me of naivety, opportunism or a political agenda, not a desire to make the U.S. a better place.

Snowden started with the CIA as a system administrator and not as a spy.
    So, he was and still is a computer geek - not the classical well-informed CIA agent.
    Later he worked for contractors and advising companies and that's where he gained more insight.

Like I say: Discredit the whistleblower is a common strategy - noone cares about the reality.

edited September 2014
    There has to be something Freudian in a thread about a peace prize
    That ends up in a heated discussion. ;) :)) {:)

peace, bro bonghit.gif

" We must strip their entrails out, and drag them to Damascus.
    until they include us, in the peace process ! " :)) ( The naked gun)