Anthony Sinclair/Slazenger Goldfinger Sweater

Anthony Sinclair and Slazenger have paired up to do a re-release of the Goldfinger Slazenger sweater. They are taking pre-orders now and will begin shipping on October 13. They even used the era accurate logo.

http://www.anthonysinclair.com/product_p/slaz01.htm

Comments

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    That's great. Thank you very much for the information.
  • cyclones122cyclones122 Posts: 192MI6 Agent
    No problem! I've been wanting to get my hands on one of these for a long time, so I was pretty thrilled. :))
  • PolynikesPolynikes U.k.Posts: 276MI6 Agent
    Awesome..... I always thought the original was acrylic though?
    "I'm motivated by my duty"

1.SF 2.CR 3.OHMSS 4.DN 5.YOLT
  • InternationalExportsInternationalExports Posts: 269MI6 Agent
    A little disappointed in the price. No different to the quality of other slazenger sweaters that retail for £20.00. You could get 3 Bob Smedleys for the same money.
  • jared_nomakjared_nomak Posts: 1,942MI6 Agent
    Yeh I have to say I agree they were sold in the same colour a couple of years back for £45 quid and most ended up reduced and in sales down to under £20 quid, what would you prefer a couple of bobby smedleys or an Npeal in cashmere!
    The price is a bit steep, but with Anthony Sinclair's quality and craftsmanship, it certainly should be a great piece. Here is a cool video they put up on the website about making the sweaters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXMAnfOk5D4
  • DGSEDGSE FrancePosts: 17MI6 Agent
    Unfortunately, the original jumper is different.
    It has turnback cuffs and knitting is wider on the cuffs and hem.
    image.jpg

image.jpg
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Excuse my ignorance... But is a jumper designed to have 'turn back cuffs'? Surely it's just something you do if the jumper is a bit too long in the arms for you? :#
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • TintinTintin Posts: 194MI6 Agent
    While we're at it: The Slazenger logo is also too far down on the chest or the v-neck of the Connery version was bigger.
    In Goldfinger is the logo on a level with the end of the collar.

jamesbondgolfn4kxejfzuw.jpg

It's a shame that they start such a great project and then don't go the last mile.

But this "Legend" Jumper is still a very good solution. So, thank you cyclones for the alert.
  • DGSEDGSE FrancePosts: 17MI6 Agent
    Excuse my ignorance... But is a jumper designed to have 'turn back cuffs'? Surely it's just something you do if the jumper is a bit too long in the arms for you? :#
    Some brands like John Smedley or N.Peal make their jumper with extra length on the cuffs and the seam outside. It is designed to wear this way.
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    Looks to me from the above info, that Slazenger/Sinclair have gone for a modern take on a 60s jumper.

Natural materials rather than acrylic, less pronounced hem and "turn back cuffs"*, higher contemporary v rather than the classic deeper.

Perhaps not 100% accurate but is one looking for a 60s jumper really? Wanna drive a crappy DB5 or a new DBS? ;)

* like Charmed and Dangerous, this was/is news to me; I just thought some (older?) styles had longer ribbing on the cuffs (and hems to match? )
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    I too was excited about this...if it was an authentic replica of the Goldfinger version...while I appreciate modern updates, when I hear "legend" I think to the original...the logo being misplaced really underwhelmed me.
  • MrZarebaMrZareba Krakow, PolandPosts: 1,775MI6 Agent
    Looks to me from the above info, that Slazenger/Sinclair have gone for a modern take on a 60s jumper.

Natural materials rather than acrylic, less pronounced hem and "turn back cuffs"*, higher contemporary v rather than the classic deeper.

Perhaps not 100% accurate but is one looking for a 60s jumper really? Wanna drive a crappy DB5 or a new DBS? ;)

* like Charmed and Dangerous, this was/is news to me; I just thought some (older?) styles had longer ribbing on the cuffs (and hems to match? )

LOL I would rather drive the DB5 actually! But the price tag for one of these is tad too high (when I asked for the price on jamesedition for one of these I got a charming 750.000$ in reply!)
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    The Mantis wrote:
    I too was excited about this...if it was an authentic replica of the Goldfinger version...while I appreciate modern updates, when I hear "legend" I think to the original...the logo being misplaced really underwhelmed me.

It's a shame that it's not a perfect replica. Sadly, I think David Schofield is right that people don't want a '60s jumper, and these will sell better being updated (but the old DB5 will always be more desirable than a new DBS). Most people will get the jumper and say, "the logo is too high" or "the V is too deep" without caring how the original was. People will look at Connery's jumper and say that it's too baggy. Most people don't want their clothes to look old. David Mason told me that most people don't want a suit that looks like Connery's. People don't want the full-cut jacket and pleated trousers.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited October 2014
    Matt S wrote:

It's a shame that it's not a perfect replica. Sadly, I think David Schofield is right that people don't want a '60s jumper, and these will sell better being updated (but the old DB5 will always be more desirable than a new DBS). Most people will get the jumper and say, "the logo is too high" or "the V is too deep" without caring how the original was. People will look at Connery's jumper and say that it's too baggy. Most people don't want their clothes to look old. David Mason told me that most people don't want a suit that looks like Connery's. People don't want the full-cut jacket and pleated trousers.

not sure if I can agree with it.
    If people want a modern sweater, why then bother to recreate the old logo for example?

I am sure non-Bond-buyers will not care if the logo is a modern one.
    So, if the Bond-guys are the target group, why making it only 75% right and not 100%?
    Additionally does someone know how much a recent Slazenger sweater is selling for?

And as much I appreciate the looks of the classic DB5, I'd prefer to own a modern DBS if factors like potential future value are not important (where the DB5 will likely be a winner).
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • InternationalExportsInternationalExports Posts: 269MI6 Agent
    Have to agree Higgins for guys who collect the real deal they would want screen accurate replica. Disappointed with the product and as stated above the price. I would have considerd the cost more had it been a screen accurate remake.
    Have to agree Higgins for guys who collect the real deal they would want screen accurate replica. Disappointed with the product and as stated above the price. I would have considerd the cost more had it been a screen accurate remake.

But of all the customers, how many do you think want the real deal and how many just want a nice jumper with a loose connection to Bond? David Mason told me that many more people want a modern suit than a copy of what Connery wore. They're making clothes to sell to the general public.

Also, does anyone know how the fit on Slazenger jumpers is?
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    If they focus on the general public, why bother with the recreating of the old logo?

And checking their onlinestore http://store.slazenger.com - their stuff is really (I mean really) lowprice. Not sure if their clientele will fork out that kind of money for a Merino Sweater.

So the target seems to be more the highend customer and A. Sinclair is strongly connected with Bond.

I would have bought it if it was really accurate but have to pass for the mentioned reasons.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Yeah Slazenger is a really cheap brand nowadays (my young nephew says naff) which shows how hard they have fallen over the years.

Only the 007 die hards would fork out that kind of money for a Slazenger jumper (the ones they churn out nowadays can be had for 10-20 odd quid in Sports Direct - UK Chain) hence i can't see anybody buying these except the weirdos here, and we know what fussy buggers they are :)
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    The older jumper is not baggy....fits like 60s, somewhere between classic fit and slightly fitted,
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Yeah Slazenger is a really cheap brand nowadays (my young nephew says naff) which shows how hard they have fallen over the years.

Only the 007 die hards would fork out that kind of money for a Slazenger jumper (the ones they churn out nowadays can be had for 10-20 odd quid in Sports Direct - UK Chain) hence i can't see anybody buying these except the weirdos here, and we know what fussy buggers they are :)

Since they sell jumpers made out of acrylic, they certainly are a cheap brand. But they've been made out of acrylic for years, so were they ever such a great brand? I can't imagine they were ever close to Smedley's level. But this one made of wool is certainly worth more than one made of acrylic.
    The Mantis wrote:
    The older jumper is not baggy....fits like 60s, somewhere between classic fit and slightly fitted,

Thanks. I'm just wondering which size will best fit my 38" chest. I usually wear a medium.
  • MrZarebaMrZareba Krakow, PolandPosts: 1,775MI6 Agent
    edited October 2014
    Is this the right one? (sorry, no higher res!)

4660829784.jpg

EDIT: Nope, now I see the logo has a white border around it and the original sweater hasn't.
  • kaddkadd Posts: 917MI6 Agent
    MrZareba wrote:
    Is this the right one? (sorry, no higher res!)

4660829784.jpg

EDIT: Nope, now I see the logo has a white border around it and the original sweater hasn't.

This one also appears to have saddle shoulders, the original doesn't
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:

Since they sell jumpers made out of acrylic, they certainly are a cheap brand. But they've been made out of acrylic for years, so were they ever such a great brand? I can't imagine they were ever close to Smedley's level. But this one made of wool is certainly worth more than one made of acrylic.

Slazenger never were anything other than a sports clothing and kit manufacturer.

They produced kit for sports utilitarian purposes - such as rounds of golf - not for fashion. Indeed, Slazenger as a brand as I grew up with and as it's associated with GOLDFINGER would have been long defunct before some sports brands became high(ish) end fashion wear.

At no time did they try compete with manufacturers like Smedley. This combo with Sinclair's in Merino seems to be a quality "first".
  • TintinTintin Posts: 194MI6 Agent
    Today my "Legend" sweater was delivered. He's very nice and really, really well made (but this was to be expected with this originator and this price).
    It also looks as if the retro Slazenger logo is placed at the right place. But as expected, the fabric, especially at the cuffs and the hem, is more finely woven than the original and the contemporary very small V-neck is nowhere near to the deep Goldfinger neckline. It's rather a crew neck with an angle.

So, all in all, you get a very luxury and very well made modern interpretation of a legendary sweater from the 60s - incl. a nice black box with a magnetic lock.

sinclairslazenwhn57zai02.jpg
    Tintin wrote:
    Today my "Legend" sweater was delivered. He's very nice and really, really well made (but this was to be expected with this originator and this price).
    It also looks as if the retro Slazenger logo is placed at the right place. But as expected, the fabric, especially at the cuffs and the hem, is more finely woven than the original and the contemporary very small V-neck is nowhere near to the deep Goldfinger neckline. It's rather a crew neck with an angle.

So, all in all, you get a very luxury and very well made modern interpretation of a legendary sweater from the 60s - incl. a nice black box with a magnetic lock.

sinclairslazenwhn57zai02.jpg

Looks great! Can't wait to get mine. I'm across the pond, so it will probably be at least a week or so.
  • Bond Collectors' WeekendsBond Collectors' Weekends Gainesville, Florida USAPosts: 1,883MI6 Agent
    It's interesting, embroiderers are turning me down to add a Slazenger logo to my sweater, even though this is quite an old corporate logo! Anyone found a workaround for embroidery that looks better than a label or appliqué?

Thanks and cheers.
    Seven (007) James Bond Tours! Mission: Mexico!
  • barracudabarracuda CataloniaPosts: 97MI6 Agent
    I've just run a Q&A with David Mason from Anthony Sinclair Ltd about the Slazenger sweater and the company's other items.

You can read it here.
    'Yes, dammit, I said "was". The bitch is dead now.'
    The James Bond Dossier | SPECTRE | Q-Branch James Bond Podcast
  • Bond Collectors' WeekendsBond Collectors' Weekends Gainesville, Florida USAPosts: 1,883MI6 Agent
    Lovely interview--thanks!
    Seven (007) James Bond Tours! Mission: Mexico!