Bond's Beretta on You Tube

72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
edited October 2014 in James Bond Literature
My first attempt at a You Tube Video, featuring a photo essay of the .25 Beretta as described by Ian Fleming in the Bond Thrillers.

http://youtu.be/g5BcvbSzCzI

Comments

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Wow, great work 7289!

the .25 Beretta is much less well-known that the Walther PPK and I'd never seen one which someone had taken such great care to mirror to Fleming's description. You've done a great job with this video, congratulations -{

Not sure I like the taped butt though, it looks slightly broken! :)) :s
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    {[] wonderful work, amazing stuff. I can now see what it would have
    Looked like when reading the books. -{ Hope many will " like" the
    Video. :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,497Chief of Staff
    Great stuff...certainly makes for an entertaining video...thanks for sharing -{
    YNWA 97
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Good Work Mate -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • HoldenHolden UKPosts: 664MI6 Agent
    Really enjoyed this! -{
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    Fooking brilliant. I've said it before, and I'll keep on saying it. That is EXACTLY how Bond's Beretta would have looked. The PPK is a superb pistol and looks damned good too. But the personalised 418 fits Bond's personality so well, and was perfect in the role that it was intended in the more subtle battles described in the books. It is of its time. I hope the new Bond novel is set before Dr No and has this Beretta in it.

Many SOE agents carried the similar sized Browning .25 during the war (including Fleming), and no doubt the earlier Beretta .25's were in varied covert use too. You've just got to appreciate the heritage and history.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Excellent video. I'd never thought in great detail what these look like, but it's really fascinating to actually see them. Well done...and great choice of music too.

What would be the point of sawing off the blunt foresight? Is it so that it doesn't snag when being withdrawn from a holster, or is there another reason.

And...why is a section of the .38 Smith & Wesson trigger guard missing? Was that how it was manufactured, or was that a customisation?
  • TecoloteTecolote Mississippi,USAPosts: 121MI6 Agent
    Let me echo Asp's comments:that is exactly the way Fleming described bond's Beretta. That is a superb video.
    Having said that though, I do think Fleming did not know very much about the real Beretta 418. IIRC in his biography of Fleming Pearson wrote that in the first draft Fleming described a ".28 Biretta" which got corrected and the modifications Fleming "did" to the gun aren't good ideas in real life, although I am sure they were tried out by various folks, including myself(I tried the taped grip on a .22 pistol back in the '60s ;it collected dust and wasn't as comfortable as the original stocks. Bond did seem to get in more gunfights with the Beretta than the Walther PPK,even though he didn't carry a spare magazine...

Again, a superb video :) . I've bookmarked it.

Regards,

Tecolote
    Excellent video. I'd never thought in great detail what these look like, but it's really fascinating to actually see them. Well done...and great choice of music too.

What would be the point of sawing off the blunt foresight? Is it so that it doesn't snag when being withdrawn from a holster, or is there another reason.

And...why is a section of the .38 Smith & Wesson trigger guard missing? Was that how it was manufactured, or was that a customisation?

I have little knowledge on this (Asp9mm is our resident gun expert and I'm sure will correct me) but I always thought that removing the foresight was to prevent snagging when withdrawing from a holster. The hammer on dome revolvers was also filed down to prevent snagging on a shirt when withdrawing from a hip or waistband holster.

I also gather that The section of trigger guard was removed from the S&W to make firing quicker in a QuickDraw ie the split second it takes to curl the finger into the trigger guard could make all the difference...
    You're spot on C&D. Sights on small sidearms like the .25 Beretta are next to useless, it's an instinctive point and shoot weapon. The ASP was made with all of these modifications you mention, and now quite a few production handguns also lack frontsights too.
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Thanks for all the comments!

Charmed and Dangerous, The S&W revolver on the original S&W cover was Boothroyd's personal handgun and he fixed it up in the manner of the day (1950's) when many thought the trigger guard merely got in the way of a fast draw. That mod originated with the Colt "Fitz" specials, but by the 1960's had has fallen out of favor, it had come to be regarded unsafe.

Bond's deadly sounding "skeleton grip" is also a very questionable mod. On the Beretta the grip panels hold the trigger bar in position. With the panels removed the trigger bar can slip out of place, when this happens the trigger will fail to push on the sear and the pistol is useless.

Like ASP9mm noted above, the Beretta is the pistol that best fits the literary Bond. It was created straight out of Fleming's own experience and imagination, unlike Bond's later handguns - that grew out of suggestions by Boothroyd. To be sure the .25 Beretta is at it's best in fiction where it's lethality and accuracy are never questioned. As a real world "spypistol" it's utility would be very limited.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    Again, I stand amazed by your Beretta, 7289. It seems you replaced the electrical tape with a fabric one? I am still looking for a reasonably priced "parts gun" 418 here in the US, though wish someone would actually mold these in resin (I know, I know, I aleady asked you about this, lol)
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    Superado,

Good observation! After some contemplation it occurred to me modern plastic tape was likely wrong. I looked about and found some grip tape for baseball bats. Until I can find some British cricket bat handle tape, that should work!!!
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,189Chief of Staff
    Wonderful, that was very interesting. I know zilch about guns, but I do know about music and George Feyer with "Feuilles Mortes" etc was a nice touch.
    stag,

Interesting observation. No doubt Chopping would have taken a slightly different approach with the Beretta. Just because, here is a bad picture of the Beretta with a S&W - not Boothroyd's, but roughly the same size.

IMG_2059.jpg
    It's not the size of your weapon, but what you do with it ;) :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    It's all in the Wrist :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    That's a lady's gun if I've ever seen one!
    edited October 2014
    stag,

The 1934 Beretta you pictured is exactly like the Beretta used in the film version of Dr. No. It was made in .32 and .380 as well as .22 but never in Bond's favorite caliber .25/6.35mm. The '34 Beretta is about the same size as a PP Walther and much bigger than the .25 Beretta Model 418.

The little Beretta was considered in it's day to be a "vest pocket" pistol, conveniently carried in the pocket of a gentleman's vest or in a ladies purse.

He's a snap of the Beretta with the slide locked back and the magazine out. Also a .25 round next to a modern .38 special hollowpoint .....

photo.jpg
    stag,

Here you go,

Q: Is the weapon single or double action?

A: It is a striker fired pistol, like a Glock.

Q: How does the magazine release on this weapon work?

A: The magazine release is on the bottom of the butt, the top of it is grooved - push back on it and withdraw the magazine.

Q: What's the magazine capacity?

A: 8 rounds

Q: In your opinion what is the effective range of the weapon?

A: The .25 Beretta is at the low end of lethality. I would not want to stand in front of one and be shot at. It would be a poor choice for a gunfighter. I think 20 yards would be stretching it for effectiveness. With the "silencer" barrel the bullets tumble at ten feet. Fictionally however, it is capable of amazing feats of accuracy, can stop a locomotive and crack the skull of a Bulgar assassin.
    Somehow in putting the video together a tag was omitted that stated there was more to come ... Colt's, Walther's S&W etc. - but when? Is the question ...
    For those of us who know nothing about guns
    ( not me obviously ;) ) it would be great to see
    All the guns Bond has used, so you could imagine
    What they looked like whilst reading the books. -{
    Stay tuned.
    {[] staying tuned :D
    Have your thought about covering the ASP 9MM that Bond uses in the Gardner Novels?
    The James Bond Bedside Companion by Raymond Benson had some (not brilliant) small black & white photos of the Beretta, PPK, Asp 9mm and a few others - it would be fantastic to see it done properly on this forum. -{ :x :007)
    Once ASP9mm put up a photo of an asp9mm, helpfully to let me
    See what one looked like. As I was always fascinated by the sight
    System, the triangular groove as described in the Gardner novels. :)
    edited October 2014
    Just click on my signature for Asp stuff and pictures.

guttersnipe.jpg
    The James Bond Bedside Companion by Raymond Benson had some (not brilliant) small black & white photos of the Beretta, PPK, Asp 9mm and a few others - it would be fantastic to see it done properly on this forum. -{ :x :007)

Unfortunately he got most of the models wrong.
    Awkward :#

That's why we need your expertise, Asp9mm. :007)

Btw is it just me or does the black and yellow sight system on the Asp look like Higgins' socks and trainers? {:) or perhaps it's just retinal nerve damage caused by prolonged exposure to his signature strip.