living the simple Bond lifestyle ?

ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
I was wondering if there were any suggestions on how to live like Bond, if
You can't afford an Aston Martin lifestyle. My thoughts were mainly to do
With food and drink as opposed to budget clothing or collecting.

Scrambled eggs for instance,Bond loved ( as did Fleming) which we can
All enjoy, the Quiche Bond made in AVTAK , or in Moonraker he mentions
Eating some RAF sandwiches ( don't think he enjoyed them much) so
Any other suggestions for how us mortals could live a little of the. Bond
Lifestyle ?
"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Have you read "The Book Of Bond" by Kingsley Amis, TP? It covers that ground very well, in a nice tongue-in-cheek style.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) I thought this way I'd get some free advice ! ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I use Bonds Shower Routine, a scolding hot Shower followed by an icy cold one -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Is it any good, does it set you up for the day ?
    I like the hot shower part but have always chickened out
    Of the ice cold part. :D
    It certainly wakes you up :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Reading a post from NP, he says the cold shower routine can help
    A little, in weight loss! -{
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Tiptree little scarlett strawberry jam, by Wilkins , I always keep a jar or two at home .Its about £5-00 a jar but well worth it .I normaly have it on hoy buttered toast,but if my wife has made scones,well Jam ,clotted cream =heaven :)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I've also heard that the hot/cold shower helps make your skin look younger. Not sure if that's true, but I did hear it once (This message was brought to you by the Hot/Cold Shower Company).
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    There is some cheap fizzy plonk out there which, even though it generally doesn't taste terribly good, makes you feel Bond-like to be sipping instead of a Bovril or something. Alternatively, you can wear a suit and run down the street very, very fast, dodging between cars and shouting "Take your bloody hand away from your ear, Watson." That doesn't cost anything, and is very Bond-like.
    :))
    I must give that a Go {[]
  • cheldcheld Posts: 300MI6 Agent
    Mix your Vespers with bathtub gin, bathtub vodka and boxed wine.
    :)) sounds very sophisticated ! ;)
    Bond also got me smoking :# :))
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    The shower routine was also the first thing I thought of, as well as the workout routine to 'escape the clutches of the soft life'. Playing $1,- online poker tournaments don't really count, do they? :))
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Bond in the books dresses in a very conservative way, so it wouldn't be hard to duplicate his dark blue suit and black tie look even on a budget. The key would be the fit.

Bond doesn't hit the gym, so his exercise routine could be done at home without cost or equipment.

Making a Bond martini at home would be much cheaper than going to a bar, especially if one, um, skimps a bit on the quality of the ingredients.

If you have any mechanical ability whatsoever, some of the higher end mass produced sports cars actually drop quite a bit in value after a few years. If you got one cheap and could keep it running, you could essentially have a Bond-like car on a budget -- but don't forgot that parts can be expensive and so might your time.

Bond lived in a flat rather than a house, which you could get at a reasonable cost if you looked around for an affordable older apartment in a reasonably safe, picturesque neighborhood.
    You've been thinking about this Gassy Man ! {[] :))
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Haha, that's more or less how I lived in my 20s and 30s.

The literary Bond trafficked among the rich and powerful, but his own life was more spartan and relatively believable on a civil servant's salary. He had his extravagances, but he was also single, and since he lived his life more or less like he didn't expect to make it to old age, it made sense that he might spend every last penny on his creature comforts.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    He had his extravagances, but he was also single, and since he lived his life more or less like he didn't expect to make it to old age, it made sense that he might spend every last penny on his creature comforts.
    Nicely put, GM! -{
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    Yes 007, lived like the old expression....
    " Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow you die " :D
    Because of his Profession, and the likelihood of him being killed whilst on Assignment, Bond lives everyday to the full -{
  • stagstag Posts: 2,083MI6 Agent
    When Bond was away visiting all those exotic locations, his fine dining & luxury accommodation etc would have been on expenses! I would like to have seen the accountants face when he handed the docket in! :o
  • stagstag Posts: 2,083MI6 Agent
    Because of his Profession, and the likelihood of him being killed whilst on Assignment, Bond lives everyday to the full -{

And perhaps therein lies the secret to living the simple Bond lifestyle? A frame of mind (which is free) as opposed to the trappings (which aren't).
    Yes -{
    Live every day like it's your last, because one day
    You won't be disappointed ! :))
    I've wanted to start drinking Bourbon and Ice, but Spirits are expensive :#
    Learning a foreign language is also something that I enjoy doing. It is a great feeling to go on holiday and be able to have a (basic) conversation with the staff of the hotel/restaurant. This can easily be done through audio courses that are available on CD or online. I'm going snowboarding in France in January so I have already started brushing up on a little Danish... uhhh French.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Little??
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    The rest of the world is just being Lazy, in not learning English ! :))
    How's your Dutch TP? :))
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    The rest of the world is just being Lazy, in not learning English ! :))

Strangely, that's how I sometimes feel :))

I know a little French and German, but not enough to really enjoy those languages. Something happens when you understand a language well enough to read books in the origional language, watch movies without subtitles and have conversations without having to really translate each sentence in your head before saying it. A language gets much more fun when you reach that level of fluancy.