Did the producers want Connery back for DAF ?

ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
I was asked this question last night and hadn't really thought about it before
But here goes. :))
If the producers had tried to lure him back and had failed, at the last minute
An excuative from the film company , went and offered an even bigger deal.
It would seem in some ways they'd gone over the producers head, as it were
As they had already hired an actor to carry on the series. Then due to the
Actions of the film company they had to pay off the actors contract and go with
The other deal with Connery ?
So would anyone have the story of what happened, did the producers know about
the last minute deal, and agree to it before hand or were that surprised to learn that
A deal ( without them) had been done and Connery was back ?
"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

Comments

• AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Obviously John Gavin was nearly put into the Role, and he would of been the first American Bond. Make me think, would Connery of done LALD?
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    I remember Dana Broccoli saying that Cubby and Harry really didn't want to beg Sean Connery because they didn't want to work with a reluctant actor. So I think Bocolli and Saltzman weren't very happy with the deal made by David Picker.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    {[] interesting, I was wondering. If they knew about the offer
    Or was it "sprung" on them. As it did seem as if they had
    Decided to move on from Connery.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    To be honest, I think Cubby was not amused. He always said that Bond is bigger than an actor, that is why he thought he could use a complete unknown Australian model without any acting experience as a replacement for Connery in OHMSS. I don't think he like to concede to MGM that Connery was an important part of the initial success of Bond.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
    I think you hit the nail on the head there Peppermill. -{
    I will visit a doctor as soon as possible! :))
    :)) I think most of our problems on AJB are more
    Mental rather than physical ! :p :))
    Your not wrong there :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,673MI6 Agent
    They even wanted to entice Connery back for LALD (been meaning to write an article on this) so the short answer is "Yes!" :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Well, firstly it proves that the film companies make the very big decisions.
    It was that case pro Connery and against Dalton ;)

I for my part am happy, that Connery returned for DAF.
    I don't even want to imagine Gavin or any other actor in what followed DAF. - OHMSS -{
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Moore in DAF would have been interesting to see of course -{
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Business is always bigger than individual egos, though individual egos can drive a lot of business. I suspect that given the animosity between the producers and Connery -- both thought that they were ones who created the Bond character -- that Broccoli and Saltzman were not crazy about having to eat crow and ask for Connery to come back At the same time, if they weren't the ones ponying up the dough, then that made things easier. Let's be serious, part of the reason the Bond producers have gone after lesser known actors to play Bond is because they are cheaper. Sign them to a three-picture deal, and you basically get them at bargain prices. That's the business side, and it's smart business to make sure that you maximize your profit. It's crappy artistic vision to create an inferior product, however.
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Moore in DAF would have been interesting to see of course -{

Interesting indeed, but I am quite happy with Sean Connery. I am of the opinion that he adjusted his performance to suit the lighter tone of the film. Certainly a more convincing portrayal than his previous appearance in YOLT. My only criticism would be that he was overweight, should have lost a few pounds.
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
    He looked far better in " The Anderson Tapes" made the same year. I wonder
    If he deliberately did get too fit for the role of Bond as a way of, almost putting
    Two fingers up to the producers, almost to say .....
    " Look, even out of shape, The Public still see me as Bond. Told you I was
    Responsible for the Films success !"
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
    I know what you mean, TP.

I also wonder how it is they couldn't have forced Connery back for LALD, hasn't they paid a shedload of money for it? Or was it the case that if they could go with another actor, they could maybe cut their losses, after all Connery didn't just get a cool million for DAF and handed it to a Scottish Education Trust, but personally profitted from a percentage of the North American ticket sales (so wasn't wholly out of pocket!) So if he walked away from LALD, maybe the studios would be thinking, hmmm, we might actually get Moore of a profit.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    To be honest with Roger Moore there was no danger of another Lazenby.
    Moore had a reputation of being a professional, easy to work with and he
    Had an established world wide fan base to bring with him. Also as pointed
    Out he would be a lot cheaper.
    On a side note Connery's fee of £1.25mill, anyone know what that would be in
    Today's money?
    I'm not sure, but that's most likely where most of the Budget for DAF went :))
    Absolutely, no big location work and the attack on Blofeld is very lack luster
    The exploding helicopters especially, just some matte work. All the double 'o's
    In DAF are on Mr Connery's pay check. :D
    The Fight Scene in the Mine between Bond and Blofeld had to be scrapped because the Owner refused Permission for them to Film in it. It's a Shame because Blofeld was going to get a proper Death in it as well :#
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    I for my part am happy, that Connery returned for DAF.
    I don't even want to imagine Gavin or any other actor in what followed DAF. - OHMSS

+1 -{
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    I suppose you could say that DAF saved the Series.
    It did move it In to the 70's vibe setting the series up for the
    Light comic interpretation or Roger Moore. ;)
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,673MI6 Agent

I wouldn't say it too loudly though. :))
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • BIG TAMBIG TAM Wrexham, North Wales, UK.Posts: 773MI6 Agent

I think from the point of view of mass audience appeal this is true.

I've been reading David Picker's book about his years as head of UA. He says their policy was to never get involved in producer/star negotiations but on seeing Broccoli & Saltzman's treatment of Connery & the perceived failure of OHMSS, be it artistically or commercially, he decided to step in.

I think Broccoli was being a bit disingenuous to suggest Connery had little part in Bond's success. Being an old-school producer who valued personal loyalty (certainly this seemed his stance with Moore) I think he felt smarted by his star's refusal to do more films. Plus if Broccoli's statement is to be believed why go to all the trouble of emblazoning SEAN CONNERY IS JAMES BOND on all those YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE posters?
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,220Chief of Staff
    BIG TAM wrote:
    why go to all the trouble of emblazoning SEAN CONNERY IS JAMES BOND on all those YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE posters?

To head off competition from the 1967 version of CR, pointing out that he had the established one and only James Bond.
    :)) the other film had what ? Seven James Bonds :))
    As well as directors, writers etc .........
    Exactly.
    The 67 CR was at first going to be a serious Adaptation.
    And quickly became a a seriously BAD adaptation ! :))
    Still, Broccoli and Saltzman were concerned about the box-office being split with a rival Bond movie that year so emphasised Connery in their marketing.

Broccoli would face a similar problem in 1983!