Furious about 'FURY'

FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
*SPOILER ALERT*

I knew ahead of time this was the first hollywood picture to use an authentic German Tiger for filming. (From UK's Bovington Tank Museum) Sadly, that brief scene of tank vs. tank combat turned out to be the only part of the movie i actually enjoyed. Seeing those Shermans getting their heads popped off by the Tiger’s 88mm was a real treat. 

However, it doesn’t take a military genius to realize the 2nd half of the movie was complete rubbish. After running over a landmine, Brad Pitt's immobilized Sherman takes on an entire division of well-armed German troops ... and wins ? The battle rages on throughout the night and the Germans simply cannot figure out a way to destroy this sitting duck in the middle of the road. They’re shouting threats “You’ll pay for this” and “we’ll skin you alive” but can’t seem to hit the broad side of a barn with their bazookas. “crap, i missed!” 
In reality that battle would have been over in about 5 minutes. I don't mind Hollywood taking a few creative liberties, but to base their entire plot around this scenario was incredibly dumb.

Imagine if American soldiers were portrayed as being that clueless and inept. Embarrassing. And if the film company has a WWII sherman tank in perfect working order, why squander it on being immobile for most of the film. *sigh*
My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK

Comments

• AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    The Scene where there holding up inside the Tank was rather silly. I mean, would a fully equipped Unit still fail to take out one Tank with only five People in it?! But the Scene in the Film that really got to me was where there in the House with the two German Women. That actually made me shed a Tear :# .
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    I loved it - great film. But like any film, it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. It's entertainment - not a documentary... -{
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:
    *SPOILER ALERT*

I knew ahead of time this was the first hollywood picture to use an authentic German Tiger for filming. (From UK's Bovington Tank Museum) Sadly, that brief scene of tank vs. tank combat turned out to be the only part of the movie i actually enjoyed. Seeing those Shermans getting their heads popped off by the Tiger’s 88mm was a real treat. 

However, it doesn’t take a military genius to realize the 2nd half of the movie was complete rubbish. After running over a landmine, Brad Pitt's immobilized Sherman takes on an entire division of well-armed German troops ... and wins ? The battle rages on throughout the night and the Germans simply cannot figure out a way to destroy this sitting duck in the middle of the road. They’re shouting threats “You’ll pay for this” and “we’ll skin you alive” but can’t seem to hit the broad side of a barn with their bazookas. “crap, i missed!” 
In reality that battle would have been over in about 5 minutes. I don't mind Hollywood taking a few creative liberties, but to base their entire plot around this scenario was incredibly dumb.

Imagine if American soldiers were portrayed as being that clueless and inept. Embarrassing. And if the film company has a WWII sherman tank in perfect working order, why squander it on being immobile for most of the film. *sigh*
    up until this point the movie was pretty good but that finale aggravated me as well. It was just totally absurd.
  • BRIXMISBRIXMIS Great BritainPosts: 171MI6 Agent
    Agreed, unrealistic , and that did it for me. None of the gritty reality of Saving Private Ryan, for instance. I was bored, frankly, but I though I was alone in my view, plenty of people, including movie critic, raved over it. Totally different film, but the following week I went to see Gone Girl, cracking film, great story with twists and turns, and characters you actually care about.