ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
I was thinking after LTK was a bit of an unsuccessful Bond film, so
Far as Box office goes, I think the Production team decided to play
It safe. By getting P Brosnan, a well known TV star, who perfectly
Fitted the bill as 007. Although his films were enjoyable , they have
The feeling of reusing ideas from older Bonds, and not taking any
Chances.
Whatever changed after DAD, there seems to have been a decision
To gamble everything on a reinvention of the series and Bond himself.
In many ways now, I feel the Brosnan Bonds were Holding films and
Not until CR did we see a return to a confident, revived Production
Team, bringing in new ideas and bringing in a contemporary Bond.
This upset many, but evolution is part of life and perhaps being fans
We were too close to the films to see how stale the old formula was
Becoming.
Now after the shake up, the reintroduction of much loved characters
Bond looks fresh and modern, even the films now have some twists
And surprises for the audience ( if you avoid the spoilers ) ;)
After the huge success of SF, it seems Bond is hip and cool again
With Oscar winning crew and actors wanting to be involved with them.
So I think we should all congratulate the Producers for taking that big
Chance of really shaking up the franchise, Bond is back to being number
One at the box office , yet putting out new and inventive high quality films.
Any thoughts ?
"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,287Chief of Staff
    Nice post, TP, with a lot of truth in it.
    There was a strong element of "playing safe" with those films, it can't be denied, but after the underwhelming financial performance of LTK it might have been the right thing to do.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    the underwhelming financial performance of LTK

Hey!
    Where are you to my aid when I am taking flak from the Timboys over that point? :#
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Didn't think you needed any help with that point, Higgins. It's a fact that LTK made less money than TLD (which preceded it) and far less than GE (which followed). Has anyone disputed this with you? I think their arguments were more general- LTK was definitely not a financial failure or a flop, as some have tried to claim, though it wasn't a blockbuster either.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    There are several Factors as to why LTK did poorly.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I think getting a 15 cert didn't help. :#
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    That, and EON being skint :#
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Barbel wrote:
    Didn't think you needed any help with that point, Higgins.

Why am I always mistaken? :#
    There is a weak and loveable core inside of that rugged shell :v

In some ways I think that's what Brosnan and his films became a sort
    Of build up the funds movies, so they could take the big risk later. I'm
    Not saying it was a big conspiracy, just how it worked out. EON's coffers
    Were full, so they could afford to take the gamble and with the first Bond
    Novel now under their ownership, it was a perfect time for them to try out
    Their new ideas.
    There are several Factors as to why LTK did poorly.

And one big one: Dalton was not accepted by the audience ;)

:)) :))
    To be honest his first film did great business, it was only the
    Much harder edge to LTK, and the 15 cert. That cut off a huge
    audience from the film. :# Perhaps if they had managed to get
    A third film out of him, they might have had another hit on their
    Hands :D but who knows.
    And just to be clear: while the performance of Dalton's films, particularly LTK, is totally relevant here, it shouldn't dominate the thread (heaven knows it's been discussed in plenty other ones).
    edited December 2014
    His third Film apparently would have had Robotics in the Story.

And yes, lets get back on Topic :)
    Barbel wrote:
    but after the underwhelming financial performance of LTK it might have been the right thing to do.

but you started it! :)) :)) :))

As I said, it's relevant. But it's only one part of this particular story- what about the legal problems just before GE, for instance? The script re-re-writes on GE? The various directors? The much (and IMO unfairly) maligned Purvis & Wade? How did M&B come to the decision to lose Brosnan?
    The original GE Script had a few rather interesting Differences -{
    Tell us more, Alpha!
    Going from Memory, I think Alec was much older.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,688MI6 Agent
    Going from Memory, I think Alec was much older.

Yes, and Alec Trevelyan's age in the finished GE script has always been problematic for me, but I intend to write something on that later.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    edited December 2014
    Geopolitics; the ever growing widespread use of multimedia; the aging of the EON series; the financial pressures of a global box office, as well as the increase of quality action films also contributed to the change in the series from Dalton to Craig. Even the horrific event of the 9/11 Trade Center attack spun the western pop culture mindset around which is why we got darker films like Batman Begins.

Though Dalton would have been a perfect Bond for the reboot of the series (if he had been at the right age), like Craig he was too close to the sweaty reality of Fleming's Bond for audiences who grew up with the Moore superspy series. They could not mesh the EON superspy scripts with Fleming's brutal 00 enough for Dalton to sell it. LTK was a nice try, but it still had silly scripted scenes from the old films which just jarred with the more vicious ones. Then the studio lawyers started fighting and Dalton had to get out.

Brosnan came in just at the right time and it's obvious from the GE script EON wanted to show the audience their old classic Bond was back with bells on and updated for the new post Soviet world. Brosnan's entries were obviously their way of staying the course by replaying the same old EON/Bond queues through the scripts while trying to adapt to Pierce's style. It worked because the box office returns told them it worked. However, DAD, no matter how geopolitically current it was (using the North Korean military as villains) became irrelevant after the 9/11. The invisible Aston didn't help.

It was a good kick in the creative pants to EON. The series was really showing signs of aging in the current world and it needed a reboot, no matter what other series were rebooted - I don't think it had anything to do with them. Continuing to produce the old series by just changing actors wasn't going to work anymore than the fantasy laden sci fi elements would. They realized the audience was ready for Fleming's real, brutal spy and having a few years to drop below the radar allowed them to put the pieces together. They no longer needed a superspy-fashion model with perfect hair who never bleeds. They needed a gritty actor who could be sardonically charming, ruggedly handsome yet be convincingly cold and brutal like Fleming's spy. For them this was more important than black hair and being over six feet.

Then, as if a sign from fate, they got the rights to CR. They could finally do Fleming's first novel and Bond's first appearance. How could they not reboot the series at this point?

The Bourne Identity and Batman Begins pointed the cinematic way. It was time to go real and dark. No gimmicks - not even an Aston loaded
    with firepower. No superspy - Bond would get hurt emotionally and physically as in the novel. No super villain trying to destroy or blackmail the planet - only real life villains - spies, terrorists and those who profit from them and psychotic killers like Silva.
    Some nice points CmdrAtticus {[]
    Yes -{
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    I get the decisions EON made when they brought Bond back after being gone for 6 years. They wanted to give audiences what they missed and remembered about Bond, hence the paint-by-numbers, best-of-Bond strategy...I get it. I understand too how reverting to what was a known, sure-fire success, e.g., the Bond formula, was tempting and comfortable because of the older production team members no longer being there, including Cubby who at that point was just a figurehead. But two glaring things didn't sit well with me: (1) I hate how EON (BB and MW) fabricated this desperate narrative about their creative stagnation, framing this into some abstract boogey man that they needed to exorcise; it seemed to me that they did it in such a way that they deflected blame for the past 4 movies as if someone else was responsible for production and the creative direction of the PB movies...I hate how it seemed like they washed their hands of the monstrosity of a PB Bond, as it it was all Brosnan's fault. (2) I really hate how they totally took a deconstructive approach to the reboot, totally trashing the staple qualities of both cinematic and literary Bond. The most concise parallel I can bring up is the casting of Keaton for Batman; sure it was good and it worked, while at the same time, it was not Batman, judging even by how he's been portrayed in every animated version since the 90s and even in the Nolan trilogy.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    . By getting P Brosnan, a well known TV star, who perfectly
    Chances.

The interesting thing is that Skyfall also borrows heavily from older Bonds, perhaps more in homage than plagiarism. The same can be said for the Q scene in DAD.

The nineties were still an optimistic time, as CmdrAtticus notes. Brosnan's exuberant take on Bond fitted the post-Moore period better perhaps the Dalton, whose take wouldn't be relevant until much later.

Interestingly, in the austere post-2008 crash period, audiences could empathise better with the moodier, pared-down, monochrome-dressed Craig portrayal. By contrast, Brosnan's colourful ties, elegant suits and urbane manner all looked out of date.

Now in 2014 we're still a bit in the balance... The economy(while not fully recovered) is better than it has been since 2008; and for every Imitation Game there is a more colourful, exuberant film like Guardians of The Galaxy. I wonder what Bond 24 will hold in store?
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    I was thinking after LTK was a bit of an unsuccessful Bond film, so
    Far as Box office goes, I think the Production team decided to play
    It safe. By getting P Brosnan, a well known TV star, who perfectly
    Chances.
    Whatever changed after DAD, there seems to have been a decision
    To gamble everything on a reinvention of the series and Bond himself.
    In many ways now, I feel the Brosnan Bonds were Holding films and
    Not until CR did we see a return to a confident, revived Production
    Team, bringing in new ideas and bringing in a contemporary Bond.
    This upset many, but evolution is part of life and perhaps being fans
    We were too close to the films to see how stale the old formula was
    Becoming.
    Now after the shake up, the reintroduction of much loved characters
    Bond looks fresh and modern, even the films now have some twists
    And surprises for the audience ( if you avoid the spoilers ) ;)
    After the huge success of SF, it seems Bond is hip and cool again
    With Oscar winning crew and actors wanting to be involved with them.
    So I think we should all congratulate the Producers for taking that big
    Chance of really shaking up the franchise, Bond is back to being number
    One at the box office , yet putting out new and inventive high quality films.
    Any thoughts ?

Very perceptive, TP. I agree the folks at EON made the right move at the right time, and I'm pretty happy with the way it has worked out so far.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Very perceptive, TP. I agree the folks at EON made the right move at the right time, and I'm pretty happy with the way it has worked out so far.
    The Bond Universe unfolds as it was meant to.
    For ME, Craig's tenure will not top QOS. But that's okay. One ultimate movie from each actor is what makes the series awesome.
    Or in the case of Connery & Dalton, more than one... :D
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:
    I get the decisions EON made when they brought Bond back after being gone for 6 years. They wanted to give audiences what they missed and remembered about Bond, hence the paint-by-numbers, best-of-Bond strategy...I get it. I understand too how reverting to what was a known, sure-fire success, e.g., the Bond formula, was tempting and comfortable because of the older production team members no longer being there, including Cubby who at that point was just a figurehead. But two glaring things didn't sit well with me: (1) I hate how EON (BB and MW) fabricated this desperate narrative about their creative stagnation, framing this into some abstract boogey man that they needed to exorcise; it seemed to me that they did it in such a way that they deflected blame for the past 4 movies as if someone else was responsible for production and the creative direction of the PB movies...I hate how it seemed like they washed their hands of the monstrosity of a PB Bond, as it it was all Brosnan's fault. (2) I really hate how they totally took a deconstructive approach to the reboot, totally trashing the staple qualities of both cinematic and literary Bond. The most concise parallel I can bring up is the casting of Keaton for Batman; sure it was good and it worked, while at the same time, it was not Batman, judging even by how he's been portrayed in every animated version since the 90s and even in the Nolan trilogy.

Agree. Deflecting blame was exactly what they were doing. In regards to the Batman/Keaton comparison I think personally it compares more with TLD. Tim Burton seems to like the humor and silliness of the Adam West series (which is why Nicholson's Joker seems closer to Cesar Romero and light years form Ledger's character) but tried to inject more drama and the personal struggle of the Dark Knight character. It's an entertaining film but seems out of balance. This is how I feel about the Dalton entries.

For me, the reboot approach seems more like the Nolan entries - making the character into a real individual (and even explaining the more real origins of Batman's togs and equipment). As far as trashing the qualities - which ones do you refer to?
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:

Agree. Deflecting blame was exactly what they were doing. In regards to the Batman/Keaton comparison I think personally it compares more with TLD. Tim Burton seems to like the humor and silliness of the Adam West series (which is why Nicholson's Joker seems closer to Cesar Romero and light years form Ledger's character) but tried to inject more drama and the personal struggle of the Dark Knight character. It's an entertaining film but seems out of balance. This is how I feel about the Dalton entries.

For me, the reboot approach seems more like the Nolan entries - making the character into a real individual (and even explaining the more real origins of Batman's togs and equipment). As far as trashing the qualities - which ones do you refer to?

Good points, which I agree with when looking at the franchise parallels in terms of seriousness vs. campiness. Yes, like with Nolan's Batman, the reboot attempted to show a realistic perspective on the Bond world, though I would stop there and not automatically equate this version as being the most "literary Bond." What I want to single out in my comparison is that with the Burton Batman, he threw out the more staple traits of the Batman. I've read the comics since the early 70s and got to appreciate the darkness of the character and his world, but I also liked the contrast in how Bruce Wayne was portrayed as a Bond like playboy, with his looks and lifestyle; Burton however portrayed Bruce Wayne as eccentric, and quite frankly against type, which he explained as a conscious decision based on his own experiences and outlook in life. He opted for Michael Keaton because he gave off an internalized vibe of the character's darkness, without letting any overwhelming tall, dark and handsome qualities getting in the way of that.

I liken a similar approach with the Bond reboot, though I don't think it went through the same genesis process as Burton took in his personal vision. Apart from the obvious formula window dressing that were intentionally and obviously missing, e.g., the gunbarrel, placement of Bond theme Q, Moneypenny, the casting of Craig because of his contra-Bond physical attributes, was also obviously meant as invasive palate cleanser for audiences. Was it necessary? Part of me wants to say, "Sure it was," for the sake of the big picture for the franchise and its following, but as a Bond fan, I feel it bordered on a serious violation of the very nature and foundation of the character and this is where I make a solid connection between that and what was done with Burton’s Batman. Another recent example is Robert Downey, Jr.’s Sherlock Holmes, since his version retains the original setting of the original stories.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    Thunderpussy,

I think your assessment is correct regarding the general consensus of the reboot. However, I personally find the Brosnan-era formula films to still feel fresh and entertaining. For this fan, the pre-title sequence for Die Another Day is better than all 3 Craig films combined.
    (Aided in part by a well-placed gun barrel sequence)
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
    Oh, Don't get me wrong Firemass, I like Brosnan as Bond and I too
    Find his films entertaining. {[] I'm not a Brosnan hater, I think all
    The actors have given 100% -{ I was only making an observation that
    Since and including CR, the Producers seem to have found a new
    Enthusiasm for the franchise. :D