Budget Goldfinger Submariner

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some suggestions on good quality budget (roughly £200-£300) alternatives to the Rolex Submariner used in Goldfinger.
I'm not talking about a "replica" Rolex, just a good quality watch that looks as similar as possible.

So far I have found the Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Military which I think looks pretty good and it gets some pretty good reviews online.

663264d1375223087-steinhart-ocean-one-vintage-military-st-v6.jpg

What do you guys think? Or do you know of a better alternative?

Cheers,
Ben

Comments

• UNCLE27UNCLE27 EnglandPosts: 1,116MI6 Agent
    image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's a great choice! I'd recommend the Steinhart Ocean Military to anybody!! They really are excellent quality and fantastic value for money.

Check their website though. Firstly they have some other variations on the Ocean 1 theme and secondly, they have made some minor changes to the face of the Ocean 1 Military.

http://www.steinhartwatches.de
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • BenSV650BenSV650 Posts: 233MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the help chaps. UNCLE27, your VM looks fantastic and glad to hear you like it.

Minigeff, I think you've found the closest to the GF Submariner and that will be the one I order when the time comes :D

Cheers,
    Ben
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Minigeff's mentioned watch has not the slightest in common with the GF Rolex!

First of all the Rolex had gilt markings and not white and the casing did not have crownguards.

As a general advise, you should save for a real one instead of wasting your cash on various "budget" product.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Higgins wrote:

First of all the Rolex had gilt markings and not white and the casing did not have crownguards.

As a general advise, you should save for a real one instead of wasting your cash on various "budget" product.

This is true.
    But... It would take a LOT of saving to buy an original 6538 Submariner!!
    You could also argue that a modern Rolex Submariner would not match the requirement. Not everybody can afford to spend thousands on a watch and there are some excellent quality watches that can give you the style and pleasure at a fraction of the cost. Steinhart Watches are among these. The OP would nit be wasting his money on buying a Steinhart, they are excellent quality and value for money.
    However... You are correct in saying that he may still want that Rolex Submariner once he has it.
    It is also true (as I and others have found) that you are NEVER satisfied when buying watches. There is ALWAYS a need for another watch!!

I have a Rolex Submariner (14060M). It's beautiful and I love it. But I also love my Steinhart OVM and I can wear that at work as it is beautiful, accurate, robust and cheaper and I won't risk damaging my Rolex.
    UNCLE27 wrote:
    You could also argue that a modern Rolex Submariner would not match the requirement.

Of course a 6538 would be not really an alternative as too expensive. But the mentioned 14060 would give a lot of satisfaction for reasonable prices in the Rolex world.

UNCLE27 wrote:
    Not everybody can afford to spend thousands on a watch and there are some excellent quality watches that can give you the style and pleasure at a fraction of the cost.

In my youth, I've been spending a lot on cheaper alternatives but at the end was never satisfied because I did not have the real thing.
    Thus I regard any spending on the way to the real thing as wasted money, sorry, I can't see it differently.

Buy cheap buy twice - though I admit that Steinhard offers much better quality than all the branded fakes from China.
    UNCLE27 wrote:
    I have a Rolex Submariner (14060M). It's beautiful and I love it. But I also love my Steinhart OVM and I can wear that at work as it is beautiful, accurate, robust and cheaper and I won't risk damaging my Rolex.

Owning one of the most rigid watches available and protecting it by wearing a cheaper alternative sounds like you are missing out a lot of pleasure from owning that great watch -{

Wear and enjoy that damned thing! {[]

It is a matter of risk. I do not work in an office, there is a risk that I could damage my watch so I prefer to use my more expensive watches for my days off. {[]
    If we forget the buying price - you receive an uscratched watch without efforts.

Every scratch shows that you have lived a life and has been earned somehow and adds personality to it! {[]

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    UNCLE27 wrote:
    It is a matter of risk. I do not work in an office, there is a risk that I could damage my watch so I prefer to use my more expensive watches for my days off. {[]

Don't worry about that. I use my watches (including vintage subs) on expedition in rainforests and desert scrubland. They can take all manner of abuse. It's what they were designed for afterall. But I get pleasure from wearing my watches hard and do understand those that don't. I have a field watch for when the environment is really harsh.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    I have used my Seamaster diving and in the desert in Iraq. It performed brilliantly. Exactly what it was designed to do. But I don't want to risk my Submariner where it can get damaged rolling around with some idiot on concrete and brickwork... A simple risk assessment...
    Asp9mm wrote:

I use my watches (including vintage subs) on expedition in rainforests and desert scrubland.

.... and leave them there :)) :)) :))

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:

I use my watches (including vintage subs) on expedition in rainforests and desert scrubland.

.... and leave them there :)) :)) :))

Had that for a good 15 years too :#
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • SFPROPSSFPROPS USAPosts: 380MI6 Agent
    A lot of people swear by the Parnis sub homage watches for quality "bang for your buck."
    Fanmis Black Dial Sapphire Glass Ceramic Bezel Submariner Automatic Mechanical Men's Women's Silver Watch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LPO50S2/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_PDcLub0KBVEKZ
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Out of interest Higgins

What was your first Sub??
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    edited December 2014
    actually I am a late Sub starter :D
    I've bought my first GMT-Master II (16760) at the age of 19 after working in my vacation in the Mercedes factory for 6 weeks instead of buying a fancy car from the cash.

Back then, the Subs all had still plexi crystals and I could not imagine to live with the scratches.
    I liked the Daytona but found it impractical to unlock the crown daily for winding it up. It was much cheaper than Subs and GMTs and nobody really wanted them. Of course it had a plexiglass as well which was a dealbreaker for me.

So I knew, that I'd not get the pure Bond look but the next better thing with the sapphire crystal and the independent 24 hr. hand.

Today I am a sucker for the Plexi Sports Models - time changes :D

Ive been 6 weeks travelling and miss my watches!!!

Left them at home since travelling in South America, prob a wise decision, my mrs friend had her $5 ear rings ripped out (literally) whilst shopping downtown in Santiago Chile last week!!

Hmm looking forward to wearing my 114060 Sub!!!
    welshboy78 wrote:

Not so much that ugly green thing :v

edited December 2014
    Higgins wrote:
    actually I am a late Sub starter :D
    I've bought my first GMT-Master II (16760) at the age of 19 after working in my vacation in the Mercedes factory for 6 weeks instead of buying a fancy car from the cash.

Back then, the Subs all had still plexi crystals and I could not imagine to live with the scratches.

So I knew, that I'd not get the pure Bond look but the next better thing with the sapphire crystal and the independent 24 hr. hand.

Today I am a sucker for the Plexi Sports Models - time changes :D

I thought that might have been the case!! 5513 on your list at some point??

I think the only things left for me would someday be a 5513 and a McQueen Explorer II however I know nothing about buying vintage so need to educate myself
    Higgins wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:

Not so much that ugly green thing :v

Special occasions. When I watch the muppets or Avengers! :D
    welshboy78 wrote:
    5513 on your list at some point??

no! :D

• BenSV650BenSV650 Posts: 233MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:

As much as I would love to own a proper Rolex, spending that amount of money on a watch is simply out of the equation for me at the moment.

I realise the Steinhart has several major differences from the Rolex, however I am not looking for an exact replica (I'm not trying to fool anyone into thinking I have a Rolex when I don't) I'm simply looking for a similar styled watch that I know is of reasonable quality that won't break the bank :)

I will own a real Rolex Submariner one day come hell or high water though ;)

Cheers,
    Ben