Per Fine Ounce ?

ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
Looking around amazon I came across this,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Per-Fine-Ounce-Peter-Vollmer/dp/1783339837
a story by Peter Vollmer based on a version of Geoffrey Jenkins' "missing" James Bond novel.
I knew nothing about this so did a little digging, got the word on the street. ;)
https://books.google.es/books?id=UyK_BAAAQBAJ&pg=PT3&lpg=PT3&dq=Peter+Vollmer,+has+published+a+novel,+Per+Fine+Ounce&source=bl&ots=d6CkwkWDv0&sig=QdgB-AReHpUTrb40xK8feEFY4OM&hl=es&sa=X&ei=dYvTVJWqM8OBUa-igJgH&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Peter%20Vollmer%2C%20has%20published%20a%20novel%2C%20Per%20Fine%20Ounce&f=false

Apparently this was a rejected story from Jeoffrey Jenkins and was to have happened after TMWTGG ?, I'm guessing
they went with Col Sun instead ?

Has anyone any Information on this, Is it worth buying for a read, or if you've read it is it any good ?
or is it a Fake, of some kind ?
sorry if this has come up before, I did a search with no results, So thought I'd ask. :)
"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

Comments

• AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    That is a bizarre Find :) It looks like the Idea and Title was picked up and adapted into a completely different Story.

It was badly written apparently, which led to it being scrapped ?:)
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Oh Yes !! ( To quote Churchill) they'd have to drop any Bond reference but I'm sure reading between the lines
    you'd guess who the hero was supposed to be. ;) I am thinking of buying the kindle edition, as it's only £4
    but some of the reviews aren't great. :#
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Those £4 can add to your 'Art Collection' :v
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    Looking around amazon I came across this,
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Per-Fine-Ounce-Peter-Vollmer/dp/1783339837
    a story by Peter Vollmer based on a version of Geoffrey Jenkins' "missing" James Bond novel.
    I knew nothing about this so did a little digging, got the word on the street. ;)
    https://books.google.es/books?id=UyK_BAAAQBAJ&pg=PT3&lpg=PT3&dq=Peter+Vollmer,+has+published+a+novel,+Per+Fine+Ounce&source=bl&ots=d6CkwkWDv0&sig=QdgB-AReHpUTrb40xK8feEFY4OM&hl=es&sa=X&ei=dYvTVJWqM8OBUa-igJgH&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Peter%20Vollmer%2C%20has%20published%20a%20novel%2C%20Per%20Fine%20Ounce&f=false

Apparently this was a rejected story from Jeoffrey Jenkins and was to have happened after TMWTGG ?, I'm guessing
    they went with Col Sun instead ?

Has anyone any Information on this, Is it worth buying for a read, or if you've read it is it any good ?
    or is it a Fake, of some kind ?
    sorry if this has come up before, I did a search with no results, So thought I'd ask. :)

Been reading it for a few weeks now, so close to finish. Due to the limited interest in lit Bond on AJB haven't spoken of it.

Hard work, full of proof reading errors (makes me wonder if it wasn't written in Africaans and translated). Vollmer's English is more turgid than Deaver's. Lots of folk get killed by Peace, who is more Rambo than JB

Still, there is mention of gold bike chains, and Peace/Bond hides in a baobab tree.

The plot is all over the place. Seems to be set in the late 80s, not 60s, the plot about white supremacists not wanting De Klerk to release Mandela... but is full of modern gadgetry.

M - now VA - is the drinker not Peace/Bond(!) and works from a basement sound proofed office, not top floor, which is "nice".

Wouldn't suggest that it represents Jenkins effort, necessarily, though. Still, Kindled it and got the paperback just in case.

A curio
    It most likely would have been translated if it's full of Spelling Errors.
    Thanks David, yes I was thinking of it more as a curio, myself. ;) , just to see
    what might have been ? If it's full of spelling errors, I may have written it ....
    ..... and forgotten ! :))
    Like many other Things :))
    Thanks David, yes I was thinking of it more as a curio, myself. ;) , just to see
    what might have been ? If it's full of spelling errors, I may have written it ....
    ..... and forgotten ! :))

As I said, I doubt - hope - it doesn't represent what Jenkins submitted to Glidrose. The timeline garbage suggests to me it doesn't. And the pages of Jenkins unearthed by Jeremy Duns and quoted in the forward are not repeated in the book, in fact or even as a context
    Its a Shame though that PFO was never finished and released :#
    Its a Shame though that PFO was never finished and released :#

No. It seems to HAVE been finished, but never released.
    Ah, I always thought it was unfinished.
    In many was it could be looked at as a badly translated bit of fan fiction ? but like all
    Bond nuts, I won't be sure untill I've read it. :D couldn't be much worse than some of
    the Raymond Benson stuff ! :))
    Zero Minus Ten :#

:))
    I know we all have different tastes and one mans meat, etc.... :D
    But High Time to Kill is just ... Awful ...... Awful :#
    I'd suggest to anyone to read Jenkins work. A bit turgid but certainly not as bad as some continuation contributions, nor Vollmer!

The pages found by Duns suggests he'd not be bad at all.

My suspicion having read Vollmer is that if Jenkins book was as overly political in Apartheid South Africa of the 1960s it might have been too hot a potato...
    True, may have been a bit too controversial, for its day.
    Would have made LALD seem innocent.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,510Chief of Staff
    There was a great piece on Per Fine Ounce in 007 Magazine a few years ago...well worth tracking down -{
    YNWA 97
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,764MI6 Agent
    What does Per Fine Ounce mean? I was never a public schoolboy, so there was no latin or spanking in my upbringing.
    I think it has to do with the cost of some expensive stuff that gets weighed,
    As in Gold or spices, drugs etc. ? As for spanking you don't have to go to public
    School to get, come over to my house most weekends, it's a small group but
    Very enthusiastic. ;)
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,764MI6 Agent
    Thank you for the translation, TP, you must have learnt a lot as a schoolboy :v
    In Norway we don't use spanking to toughen up or correct the behaviour of children, we just send them out in the schoolyard in -18 Celsius regardless if they remembered the warm clothes or not.
    Even the Pope said this week it was OK, to hit kids. So long as it was
    Done with love ! Which is fine by me, As I bloody love hitting kids. :))
  • DrFragmentDrFragment South Coast Of EnglandPosts: 49MI6 Agent
    I had no idea that a 'missing' novel / manuscript existed, so cheers for the heads up. As a serious Bond / Fleming collector I will give it a read.
    "Mm... Royal Beluga, north of the Caspian."
    Yes, it was a surprise to me as well. :D
  • Polar Bear 0007Polar Bear 0007 CanadaPosts: 129MI6 Agent
    I agree with Thunderpussy, nothing can be as bad as Benson......

From what I read, this is not an edited version of the Jenkins novel but a re-write. The goal of the Jenkins estate is to generate enough interest, that the Fleming estate will publish the original. I'm not holding my breath, but I hope it happens someday.

Amazon have my copy scheduled to arrive in a couple of weeks. I look forward to reading this book......
    This is where we leave you Mr. Bond. (Pilot, Apollo Airlines)
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,670MI6 Agent
    I agree with Thunderpussy, nothing can be as bad as Benson......

From what I read, this is not an edited version of the Jenkins novel but a re-write. The goal of the Jenkins estate is to generate enough interest, that the Fleming estate will publish the original. I'm not holding my breath, but I hope it happens someday.

Amazon have my copy scheduled to arrive in a couple of weeks. I look forward to reading this book......

If so, that is a laudable objective on their part, even though releasing this new book somewhat muddies the waters on PFO for the non-Bond fan.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    In the actual PFO Novel, Bond goes Rouge I think.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,670MI6 Agent
    In the actual PFO Novel, Bond goes Rouge I think.

Indeed he does - Jeremy Duns wrote an interesting article about it in 2005 - now available to read in Duns on Bond (see Amazon).
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    Shame that we never got to see it released :# A pre LTK rouge Bond on Paper :)
    edited February 2015
    Shame that we never got to see it released :# A pre LTK rouge Bond on Paper :)

One can but hope - we'll see the reaction to this new PFO and if anything happens as a result of its publication. -{