Home Security Tips ?

ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
I live in a a really safe area, I've lived in the same house since 1980, with no
Crime. :) sadly at the weekend our neighbour's house was broken in to and
Car keys stolen. :#
Needless to say my wife now wants to turn the house in to Fort Knox ! :D
I'm going to add a mortice deadlock to the front door along with a brass plate
Over it for strength round it, and a London bar, inside to give strength to the
Ordinary Yale lock.
Have any members any tips or advice on home security etc, what works or
Doesn't ? Any tips would be appreciated. -{
"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

Comments

• AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Our Flat is in a rather quite Area :)) So I can't really give you many Tips on Home Security :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I've always been partial to a crocodile-filled moat, a garden of deadly flowers and a parapet from which to throw boiling oil.
    Lasers, everyone needs Lasers :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I do have a guard dog ( a cute little Jack Russell ) :D
    The only thing that dies in my garden are the plants I try to grow. ;)
    If it was left to my wife we would have lasers and pits with big sharp
    Spikes, etc. If she ever catches a burglar in our house, it will be like an
    Episode of " Saw" :D she'll be out with power tools ......... :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    i have an 8 pound maltese but i still keep a "beware of dog" sign to scare people.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    A larger dog may be an option.

An enforced door lock only makes sense when the doorlatches and window fittings are also strong.
    Mostly, burglars don't come thru the front door but thru windows/terrace doors which can't be seen by the public.

We've had burglars here in the house 10 years ago and they levered open the rear terrace door in seconds.

When noone is in the house, leave some lights on in the dark.

If someone rings the bell to sell stuff - be alarmed - they check that way out, if someone is at home.

Next step will be an alarm system which informs a security company when an alarm is set off.

We have a comprehensive alarm system here (after we've gotten doors and window strengthened) and I can tell you that you are sleeping better knowing that you are being alarmed if something in the house is going on and is unusual.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    These guys ( two of them) just shouldered the door in ( standard lock) and
    Ran in for a quick grab. At 10am, broad daylight ! :#
    They didn't bother with my house as we are poor and have F all worth stealing. :))
    Well for that kind of idiots another door lock may help.

Chances are higher that there are a bit smater people out there as well ;)

And no matter how much you own - the feeling that someone intruded your home and searched your stuff is not a nice one.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent
    Probably adding a little chain lock to the inside door to see who is there would be a good idea also - that would account for fraudulent callers at least as they are always doing the rounds somewhere. Good luck, TP. :)
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    Also, I like to leave the lights on at all times.

The idea of breaking in people's houses during their sleep is not as common as one would think though. They do it when you're out. Sure, there are some desperate heroin addicts out there, but a lot of times thieves are either people who know you or people who have spent weeks spying on the neighborhood.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent
    Also, I like to leave the lights on at all times.

The idea of breaking in people's houses during their sleep is not as common as one would think. Sure, there are some desperate heroin addicts out there, but a lot of times thieves are either people who know you or people who have spent weeks spying on the neighborhood.

That's another very good idea. :)
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • stagstag Posts: 2,083MI6 Agent
    edited February 2015
    Good tips from Higgins.

When I was on nights I used to leave a tape of an Alsatian dog barking in the stereo system with the volume knob set to the correct level, the wife would then activate it whenever anyone knocked at the door or she felt otherwise threatened. It's amazing what the sound of a GSD can do. Couple this with a few 'beware of the dog' signs.

This may give you an idea what I mean although the dog I taped was a police GSD who had been ordered to 'speak' & was much more ferocious than this example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF0DHLiXBr0

Good while your in the house &, if you've no neighbours to disturb you can leave a recording running on a loop to be heard by any would be intruders while your out.

I often wondered if I could wire such a recording to the doorbell!
  • stagstag Posts: 2,083MI6 Agent
    I forgot to mention I recommended this technique to an elderly couple who were experiencing problems with drunks entering their front garden at night. The sound of a slavering beast ready to be unleashed upon them did the trick!
    The idea of breaking in people's houses during their sleep is not as common as one would think though. .

Tell that my neighbor who went for a little nap and woke up while a stranger was in the same room. :D

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,420Chief of Staff
    Be careful if you have a letterbox, especially if it's in the middle of the door...scroats tend to try and hook things through this - usually car keys or extra door keys...you'd be surprised how many people leave keys on a hall table ! 8-)
    YNWA 97
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:

I often wondered if I could wire such a recording to the doorbell!

That would be awesome. Put a two second delay on it to make it more authentic. Very clever.
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    Since you have a dog, consider installing interior motion sensor lighting and activate the lights when you are out. The dog will trigger the light in random, unpredictable ways which will help confuse anyone casing your home.

I always leave a radio on when I'm out, tuned to the local NPR station. The station goes back and forth between music, talk, and news, so eavesdroppers will hear both music and human voices.
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    A very simple way is to plant prickly bushes in front of windows , most DIY places sell dummy alarm boxes,a beware of the dog sign is also cheap .auto matic lights are good ,and a timer on a radio works too.A lot of people chuck their car keys on a table near the front door ,crooks now go fishing with a bit of bamboo cane with a hook on it. So put your keys in a draw , Failing that keep a 2 man tent handy (you know the ones that flick open ) a large polythene sheet ,and a big can of garage floor paint handy (red is the best colour .Then if you catch some one in your house , kill them ,take them in the garage ,put them in the 2 man tent chop them up into tiny bits ,then repaint the whole garage floor , burn tent and sheet , don't be tempted to chuck bits down the drain .
    use bleach on eveyrthing it removes all DNA markers . That's what I do ,works every time ;)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Higgins wrote:
    The idea of breaking in people's houses during their sleep is not as common as one would think though. .

Tell that my neighbor who went for a little nap and woke up while a stranger was in the same room. :D

Wasn't you, was it? :o :D
    hey AOS, have you and TP been french-kissing recently? :v

It seems that he's infected you somehow 8-)

Not with his breath :))
    :)) and I thought that day was special.........

I remember that day as if it were yesterday. The exhilaration of experimenting, sharing something so new, so dangerous, so intimate. And I'll never forget the look on your face. The way the sweat glistened on your hard body. Then you tied my ankles. Tighter. Tighter
    But it just wasn't right. It wasn't natural, Bungee-jumping is just too dangerous a sport !
    ( Hot Shots 2) :))
    :)) :)) :))
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    Here in South Africa, particular in the middle class or more affluent suburbs it is really common for homes to resemble Fort Knox. High walls, electric fences and burglar alarms are all the norm. The most disturbing thing however is that so many of these burglars will kill for something as trivial as a cellphone.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    Have exterior motion sensor lighting. It might be wise to have security cameras to. If someone does break in, you might get footage of their face and be able to turn it over to police. Security cameras have become so advanced, you can check in on your house through your smart phone. As for security systems, if you can afford it, some offer 24 hour monitoring and will alert your local police when the alarm goes off.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    The best thing really is to petition your MP ,and get him to change the law on burglary ,so the minimum sentence is 15 years ,that way all burglars will be to scarred to rob your house and us law abiding citizens ,wont have to pay out a small fortune on ,lights cameras,alarms ,locks ,insurance,dogs,fences, bushes ,timers ect, ec bloody cetera, but oh no ,this would upset the beardy sandal wearing limp wristed hand wringer ,"but oh he has had a bad upbringing,his dad run off with the Avon lady ," sending him to prison would only hurt his feelings X-( X-( X-( X-( . So there you have it ,instead of spending your hard earned dosh on a fortnight in
    the bloody cost del bloody sol ,no your house now resembles fort knox. :#
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • ACACIA_AVENUEACACIA_AVENUE UKPosts: 1,774MI6 Agent
    Felt it was time to upgrade our security system, with something effective -{

GEORGE.jpg

Might look cute, but got one hell of nip to him :D
    One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.
    :)) :)) :)) he simply has to channel his inner " Rottweiler " ;)
  • ACACIA_AVENUEACACIA_AVENUE UKPosts: 1,774MI6 Agent
    :)) :)) He's a bit of a shitzu, but apart from that he's OK :D
    One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.
    :)) we have a jack Russell ( that's what we say he is, as he's a mix of many terriers ) and
    I sometimes amazed at what he decides to take on in a fight. I had to drag him away on
    A walk from Three German Shepherds. :)) he doesn't know when he's outmatched. ;)