Were the 90's really better?

Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
edited March 2015 in Off Topic Chat
I'm 23. I was age 1-9 in the 90's, age 10-20 in the 00's (where my nostalgia should lie if nostalgia is the case, right?).

I'll admit right now that the internet has dramatically expanded, televisions are looking sharper, people are a bit more socially tolerant, and the smartphone was a great invention. I'll also admit that some of it is personal. Life is more stressful (but also more rewarding) now than it was when I was 10 and, unfortunately, my family drifted apart over the years. And the 90's had the best toys.

But in the grand scheme, so many things in the 90's seemed better. Music and movies had a greater diversity to them. People were less "busy" and less stressed, it seems. I read up a bit on history, and while every era has its challenges the 90's didn't really have terrorism, extensive wars in the middle east, economic crisis we're seeing today.

Just seeking input from people on here much older and wiser than I?

If you had to rank your personal enjoyment of each of your decades, how would you rate them?

My list would probably go something like this:

Early 2000's > Late 90's > Early 2010's > Late 2000's.

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Just seeking input from people on here much older and wiser than I?
    Older? Oh yeah.
    Wiser? Not a thing that comes with age.
    Personally, the Nineties were my favourite time, Brozz as Bond, prosperity, birth of my Son...
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    edited March 2015
    It was the same with me Cart {[] I fondly remember the mid to late 90's (Even though I was rather young) :D
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent
    edited March 2015
    I feel nostalgic towards the 80's. Roger was my Bond, TV and Film were great, My football team were one of the best in Europe (briefly!) And most important of all my Granparents were all still alive and we had some wonderful family moments and holidays together.

I don't think any era is free of its troubles however. I remember having lessons at school in the early 80's as to what to do in the event of an iminent nuclear attack. I also vividly remember the periodic testing of the four minute warning sirens across the area. VERY eerie :#

My grandparents lived close to an American air base and radar monitoring station in East Anglia so the threat did seem very real at the time.

Regarding the 90's, although it may seem calmer and an overall 'easier' decade than the 2000's. In the UK, we experienced a recession, there was still the threat of the IRA and of course the Gulf War and conflict in Bosnia were terrible events.

Who knows, perhaps people will look back on the 2000's and 2010's with rose coloured spectacles. Although I really hope they don't as what would that say about the next couple of decades to come... :#
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    It would be the late 70s to 80s for me. Great times {[]
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Best time for me where the mid-80s!

We had phantastic summers - I had my first own car which took me to southern France and back with 40hp.

My first Rolex with the age of 19, moved away from home and Magnum pi and Miami Vice on tv.
    Music was great too which I had on tapes (!!!) on my Sony Walkman II!
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Some of my fondest Memories were of when I left School in 2007 -{ It was the End of that Chapter of my Life and the start of many more. I met the OH in College, but we didn't get together until late 2009 (The same Time I finished College)
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    I remember playing on my Atari, watching small oblong blocks blocking
    A small square block, thinking wow! The future is Here ! :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent
    I remember playing on my Spectrum 48k, thinking the future is here!

Then when I played Out Run and Chase HQ in the arcade it blew my mind.. :))
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    Punctuation was better back then. :p
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    I suppose late 70's / early 80's would be mine.

I think the best time is always when your just old enough to have freedom (and poss some cash) but not old enough to have responsibilities.

Thats looking back with rose tinted glasses though. There was still a lot of cr@p going on, it just didn't effect me personally was I was too young.

Now is actually my most content and satisfying time.
  • stagstag Posts: 2,083MI6 Agent
    Eh, when I were a lad we used to get up half an hour before we went to bed & for breakfast our dad used to flog us with t'belt. We went to t'mill & worked thirty hours a day nine days a week & we had to pay t'mill owner three farthings a shift to let us work there. Those were great days those were.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:
    Eh, when I were a lad we used to get up half an hour before we went to bed & for breakfast our dad used to flog us with t'belt. We went to t'mill & worked thirty hours a day nine days a week & we had to pay t'mill owner three farthings a shift to let us work there. Those were great days those were.

I love Monty Python ... Cue Sir Miles :)) :))
    They're known as zero hour contracts, These days ! :D
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,418Chief of Staff
    Lady Rose wrote:
    stag wrote:

I love Monty Python ... Cue Sir Miles :)) :))

Yes, indeed 8-)

But kudos for remembering :D
    YNWA 97
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent

Substitute Spectrum with Commodore 64 and that is me {[]
    Instagram - bondclothes007

Misread as prostitution :))
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:

Yep us C64 guys where the cool guys :D
    Particularly with the datasette :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Yep ! I had a C64, I'm always ahead of the curve. ;)
    And a Texas Instruments (something) :))
  • ACACIA_AVENUEACACIA_AVENUE UKPosts: 1,774MI6 Agent
    edited March 2015
    My nostalgia based on the age of 1-9 would cover:
    Rationing, Short trousers, Black and white televisions with 6 inch screen, Smog, Short back and sides, Fruit Gums, Beano, Summer Holidays that seemed to last forever, Doctor Who, and a popular beat combo called 'The Beatles', and some bloke at the cinema called 'Bond' -{
    And 'The Woodentops' {[]
    One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.
    Higgins wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:

I remember being able to trick games by forwarding the cassette position to another level (the days of loading each level)

Although the Amiga came out and blew away the C64 etc I think I had the most fun with the C64 by a mile - including todays consoles)
    I was the Megadrive/SNES/PS1/PS2/XBOX 360 Person :))
    Think I went: C64 (x2) / Amiga / PC / SNES / N64 / PS2 / PS3 / PS4

I keep buying Playstations but never really use them - play GTA and then leave it to the kids to mess with
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent

Exactly what I thought! :))
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • stagstag Posts: 2,083MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Higgins wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:

I remember being able to trick games by forwarding the cassette position to another level (the days of loading each level)

Although the Amiga came out and blew away the C64 etc I think I had the most fun with the C64 by a mile - including todays consoles)

I had a stick (you think I'm joking). I also had a bow & arrow - the arrows having a rubber sucker on the end & a 'Zorro' sword, a plastic sword with a piece of chalk embedded in the tip so you could scrawl a Z on the wall. Dustbin lid for a shield & a home made kite.
  • Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    I can admit that almost everything about our society is better today than it was in the 80's and 90's, except the economy, which is like the most important thing in our lives, so...
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    @Absolutely_Cart...

Sorry to sound like a pedantic old mare, but could you change the title to read "were the 90's really better?" Because at the mo, it reads "we are the 90's..." (we're being the abbreviation of we are)

Thanks.

You see, the 80's WERE better, we didn't have text speak to muck up kids spelling :))
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:
    @Absolutely_Cart...

Sorry to sound like a pedantic old mare, but could you change the title to read "were the 90's really better?" Because at the mo, it reads "we are the 90's..." (we're being the abbreviation of we are)

Thanks.

You see, the 80's WERE better, we didn't have text speak to muck up kids spelling :))

Yes, indeed. Much truth in that sadly. :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    Was that the 1880s ! :))
    The beauty of English is it's a living language, so is constantly adapting and
    Changing. -{ it's not stuck in the past like many European languages. ;)
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    And it's a bloody nightmare to teach phonetically... UK English is not a phonetic language (phonetic is a case in point!) And I have NO idea why schools have adopted that way of teaching. :#

Take read and lead, for example...both rhyme with each other in completely different ways. Try teaching that to a logically minded 9 year old :))

And don't get me started on the 'gh' rule...there are far too many!
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    Fixed the title.

My elementary school teachers were quite scary and would yell at me for missing apostrophes so now it's practically subconscious I include them wherever I can.