Interesting Intersection of Art, Technology, and Espionage

Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
From the Guardian:
In the early days of espionage, spies needed a way to exchange sensitive material in public without meeting: a system of “dead drops” was developed (distinct from a “live drop”, when spies met). A small hollow behind a loose brick in an alleyway wall or under a flagstone on a towpath were perfect for stashing documents for contacts to pick up later.

But in 2010, Berlin-based artist Aram Bartholl decided to adapt the idea for public use. His Dead Drops involve people hiding USB flash drives in cities around the world and embedding them into walls, fences and kerbs. The idea is that you look up their location, access the drive, and do what you see fit with the files – add your own, remove or copy them over.

Read the story here: http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/shortcuts/2015/mar/08/dead-drops-what-to-do-if-you-see-a-usb-stick-sticking-out-of-a-wall

And here's their manifesto:
The Dead Drops Manifesto

Dead Drops is an anonymous, offline, peer to peer file-sharing network in public space. Anyone can access a Dead Drop and everyone may install a Dead Drop in their neighborhood/city. A Dead Drop must be public accessible. A Dead Drop inside closed buildings or private places with limited or temporary access is not a Dead Drop. A real Dead Drop mounts as read and writeable mass storage drive without any custom software. Dead Drops don’t need to be synced or connected to each other. Each Dead Drop is singular in its existence. A very beautiful Dead Drop shows only the metal sheath enclosed type-A USB plug and is cemented into walls.You would hardly notice it. Dead Drops don’t need any cables or wireless technology. Your knees on the ground or a dirty jacket on the wall is what it takes share files offline. A Dead Drop is a naked piece of passively powered Universal Serial Bus technology embedded into the city, the only true public space. In an era of growing clouds and fancy new devices without access to local files we need to rethink the freedom and distribution of data. The Dead Drops movement is on its way for change!

Free your data to the public domain in cement! Make your own Dead Drop now! Un-cloud your files today!!!

As a pretentious artsy-fartsy type who loves spy stuff, I find this all pretty cool.
—Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
Agent In Training

Comments

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    edited March 2015
    I've got a few 'dead drop' hollowed items like railway bolts from WW2 used by the SOE. Keep tuned for a thread about these items and more. Just need to get some good pics of all the stuff I've accrued.

London is full of famous dead drops from the past. Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens was at one time used by at least four opposing 'secret services'.

Several Stick type USB embeds have also been uncovered around famous sites in recent years, mostly blank with no information. Those are the ones made public.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Interesting -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    From the Guardian:
    In the early days of espionage, spies needed a way to exchange sensitive material in public without meeting: a system of “dead drops” was developed (distinct from a “live drop”, when spies met). A small hollow behind a loose brick in an alleyway wall or under a flagstone on a towpath were perfect for stashing documents for contacts to pick up later.

But in 2010, Berlin-based artist Aram Bartholl decided to adapt the idea for public use. His Dead Drops involve people hiding USB flash drives in cities around the world and embedding them into walls, fences and kerbs. The idea is that you look up their location, access the drive, and do what you see fit with the files – add your own, remove or copy them over.

Read the story here: http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/shortcuts/2015/mar/08/dead-drops-what-to-do-if-you-see-a-usb-stick-sticking-out-of-a-wall

And here's their manifesto:
    The Dead Drops Manifesto

Dead Drops is an anonymous, offline, peer to peer file-sharing network in public space. Anyone can access a Dead Drop and everyone may install a Dead Drop in their neighborhood/city. A Dead Drop must be public accessible. A Dead Drop inside closed buildings or private places with limited or temporary access is not a Dead Drop. A real Dead Drop mounts as read and writeable mass storage drive without any custom software. Dead Drops don’t need to be synced or connected to each other. Each Dead Drop is singular in its existence. A very beautiful Dead Drop shows only the metal sheath enclosed type-A USB plug and is cemented into walls.You would hardly notice it. Dead Drops don’t need any cables or wireless technology. Your knees on the ground or a dirty jacket on the wall is what it takes share files offline. A Dead Drop is a naked piece of passively powered Universal Serial Bus technology embedded into the city, the only true public space. In an era of growing clouds and fancy new devices without access to local files we need to rethink the freedom and distribution of data. The Dead Drops movement is on its way for change!

Free your data to the public domain in cement! Make your own Dead Drop now! Un-cloud your files today!!!

As a pretentious artsy-fartsy type who loves spy stuff, I find this all pretty cool.

Without sounding stupid... but sharing what exactly???
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,689MI6 Agent
    It sounds kind of like geo-caching in a way.

Auric Goldfinger did a few dead drops in the novel too, mind.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    It sounds kind of like geo-caching in a way.

Auric Goldfinger did a few dead drops in the novel too, mind.

I get the Geo-cashing... really cool in fact.

But what is with the media sharing... I mean, do you add stuff to the USB drives?
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    Yes, you add new Content to the USB Drives.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Ah yes, the Fanfiction Thread that died on it's Backside :#
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,689MI6 Agent

I'm afraid I'm no good at it. I used to write fiction in my boyhood but I stick to non-fiction these days and that's hard enough to write! :)
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:
    I'm really looking forward to seeing this proposed thread! I'm currently writing a novel which centres upon SOE type activity in WW2 & if need be , with your permission, I should like to contact you by PM for advice wth SOE equipment?

It'd be a pleasure. I'll be starting the thread tomorrow, but give me a shout if you need any more info.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Asp9mm wrote:
    stag wrote:
    I'm really looking forward to seeing this proposed thread! I'm currently writing a novel which centres upon SOE type activity in WW2 & if need be , with your permission, I should like to contact you by PM for advice wth SOE equipment?

It'd be a pleasure. I'll be starting the thread tomorrow, but give me a shout if you need any more info.

I'm looking forward to it too. :)
    stag wrote:

And?

Just pointing it out.
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:

And?

Just pointing it out.

(Falls about lauhing) Thanks Sergent Wilson. I mean Captain Scarlet! That made me chuckle that did.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    Glad to be of Service :D
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    On the subject of writing, Stag. As you've expressed an ambition of writing
    Something more substantial and getting it published -{ I'd recommend you
    Check out The Ares Virus, by A.P.Bateman. -{ Who used to post here as
    TheSecretAgent. It's a brilliant thriller ( I'm almost finished it on kindle) might
    Give you an idea of what's possible ?
    Sadly I think that's the problem. When the likes of Me compare , my humble
    ( Crappy) offerings to those with a talent, it's the fear of embarrassment, stops
    You hitting the submit button. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    My Story writing Skills are not great either :)) :#
    I wish you luck stag {[]