Did the later Bond films take anything away from Goldfinger?

Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
Goldfinger practically established the Bond formula for many of the future films. Does this take away from Goldfinger's uniqueness.

I saw a lively thread on colognes/fragrances on here, so some of you might get this. But in 1985 a luxury perfumer Creed released a $200 fragrance called Green Irish Tweed. Then Davidoff, a few years, later released Cool Water for the general public at a much more affordable price point. It became a best-seller. Undoubtably, the quality of GIT is much better and it had a profound influence on the market. Nothing can take away from that. But one would be lying if they said the mass availability of Cool Water took absolutely none of the luster away from GIT.

And that's kind of how I feel like Goldfinger.

Comments

• AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    In my Opinion, no it does not {[]

Goldfinger is still one of a Kind. Because like you said, it was the first Film in the Series to introduce all of the later Elements. It will remain unique for that :)
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    It's all relative though. Not that Goldfinger was in anyway lacking but If the future films didn't copy Goldfinger so much, it would've been more unique.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    What distinguishes Goldfinger, aside from arguably being the first, is that it did it so well -- everything in the film, from the characters to the plot to the dialogue to the music to the cinematography unifies for that over-the-top, fun ride that is flawless for what it was trying to do. That can't be said as much for other Bond films, where one or more elements will seem off.

Take A View to a Kill. It is, essentially, Goldfinger retold. It is not the only Bond film that does so -- Octopussy and Tomorrow Never Dies borrow heavily from Goldfinger, too, for instance. But A View to a Kill takes so many elements from the previous film, it is almost a remake.

But A View to a Kill gets so many things wrong. For starters, the production isn't nearly as lush or visually interesting. The characters seem worn out, and some of the actors playing them -- Tanya Roberts being the biggest offender -- are underwhelming. The theme of gold resonates throughout Goldfinger -- he is, essentially, a lunatic version of King Midas, but he also smuggles it, paints a disloyal mistress to death in it, cuts it in two with a laser beam, extracts it from Mr. Solo, and ultimately attacks Fort Knox. But there is nothing along those lines in A View to a Kill because the McGuffin isn't gold, it's microchips. Yawn.

Everything in Goldfinger is big. The villain, the plot, the gadgets. Even Shirley Bassey's powerful, brassy title song. The color is explosive. The stakes are high. The sets are big and visually interesting. There's an actual battle, but even the smaller ones -- like the golf game -- crackle because ultimately the real battle is one of wills between Bond and Goldfinger. In A View to a Kill, they seem too often to just be going through the motions -- and it gets pretty tired pretty fast, not just because of Moore's age but because the film feels more like a series of formula elements than a unified story. Zorin might be crazy, but he doesn't have the grandeur of Goldfinger; Zorin seems more like a spoiled child -- he's who that creepy blond kid in Harry Potter will grow up to be.

Goldfinger has laughs that grow out of the characters and story; A View to a Kill tries for laughs to disguise the fact that it doesn't have interesting characters or story -- thus, we get cheesy moments like "California Girls" playing while Bond snowboards or throwaway lines like "There's a fly in his soup" or the car split in half driving around. None of these "gags" are integral to the story -- not the way "Shocking, truly shocking" or "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die" both are integrally tied to the moment and to the characters.

So, the real issue is the other way around. Goldfinger is so well done, it takes away from the pale imitations that follow. They could make another Goldfinger if they wanted to, but it would take all of the pistons firing at once, and a combination of factors -- the workmanlike writing of modern Bonds being the biggest hurdle -- to work together. I'm hoping that Spectre might be that film, but truthfully, I think that era of moviemaking is long over.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    So, the real issue is the other way around. Goldfinger is so well done, it takes away from the pale imitations that follow.
    Yes, quite.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,059Chief of Staff
    Gassy Man wrote:
    ultimately the real battle is one of wills between Bond and Goldfinger.

That's it in a nutshell. Richard Maibaum saw GF as a duel between two supermen, and wrote the script that way.
    That's what it should be, right? We need another Richard Maibaum to work on the scripts.
  • 7700777007 Posts: 502MI6 Agent
    The Bond formula thing can be a curse. I really dont care for Goldfinger. Bond basically doesn't do much for most of the film. Goldfinger himself isnt that great of a villain. The boring US location doesnt help.
    Ha, you just described A View to a Kill.
    Like Gassy Man said, GF can only be made once -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • 002002 New ZealandPosts: 558MI6 Agent
    I can only echo the thoughts expressed here. Goldfinger is gold, pun or not.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,234MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Ha, you just described A View to a Kill.

Max Zorin is the best villain in the series! And the US locations are memorable in AVTAK - GG bridge is a great finale.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • BIG TAMBIG TAM Wrexham, North Wales, UK.Posts: 773MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Goldfinger has laughs that grow out of the characters and story; A View to a Kill tries for laughs to disguise the fact that it doesn't have interesting characters or story -- thus, we get cheesy moments like "California Girls" playing while Bond snowboards or throwaway lines like "There's a fly in his soup" or the car split in half driving around. None of these "gags" are integral to the story -- not the way "Shocking, truly shocking" or "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die" both are integrally tied to the moment and to the characters.

Nice points well made Gassy Man. GOLDFINGER is the undoubted template for most Bonds that follow. Even more 'realistic' Bonds still have the identifiable henchman shadowing the main villain, echoing the Oddjob/Goldfinger pairing.

What GOLDFINGER (and I'd say the Connery era generally) did is to balance comedy & drama. Bond's wooing of Jill Masterson is a perfect example of this - a scene that starts playful & flirtatious, ending up deadly & eerie. It knows when to switch tones. The humour & seriousness compliment each other but never intrude upon one another.
    avtak with a better writing editor (and a better female lead) could have been just as good as goldfinger. all the key concepts were there.
    Concepts, maybe, but it's not just about that -- the quality of the ingredients must also be taken into account. In this regard, A View to a Kill is to Goldfinger what a Big Mac is to Kobe Beef.
    The original Script called for Zorins Plan to change the Course of Haileys Comet and crash it into Earth.
    BIG TAM wrote:
    Gassy Man wrote:

Nice points well made Gassy Man. GOLDFINGER is the undoubted template for most Bonds that follow. Even more 'realistic' Bonds still have the identifiable henchman shadowing the main villain, echoing the Oddjob/Goldfinger pairing.

What GOLDFINGER (and I'd say the Connery era generally) did is to balance comedy & drama. Bond's wooing of Jill Masterson is a perfect example of this - a scene that starts playful & flirtatious, ending up deadly & eerie. It knows when to switch tones. The humour & seriousness compliment each other but never intrude upon one another.
    {[]
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Concepts, maybe, but it's not just about that -- the quality of the ingredients must also be taken into account. In this regard, A View to a Kill is to Goldfinger what a Big Mac is to Kobe Beef.

Brilliant analogy!
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    I don't really need to say anything, do I? :))
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."

No, Mr Blackleiter, we don't expect you to talk.
    Barbel wrote:

:)) :)) :))
    We don't expect him to listen either :))
    We don't expect him to listen either :))

Huh? What did you say? I can't hear you! :))
    Barbel wrote:

hahaha -{
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:

:)) Funniest post all month! :))
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    Well..............at least you don't expect me to die, right? Right? Hellooooo........
    ...crickets chirp... wind blows....
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    tumbleweed-4.gif
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Oh I'm sorry, was that a Joke BL? :))
  • OakvaleOakvale Pennsylvania Posts: 155MI6 Agent
    I recently re-watched AVTAK, and boy, it's essentially the same movie as Goldfinger. It's a solid remake, really. I'm just surprised that I've just now noticed how similar, and in all honesty identical, the two movies are.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Oakvale wrote:
    I recently re-watched AVTAK, and boy, it's essentially the same movie as Goldfinger. It's a solid remake, really. I'm just surprised that I've just now noticed how similar, and in all honesty identical, the two movies are.

You should watch Roger Moore's movie Gold. It's a remake of Goldfinger, and A View to a Kill is more a remake of Gold.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits