Does anyone else split the Moore films up into different groups?

MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
Maybe it's just me, but I split Moore's films into three different groups.
-'Connery' Moore (Live and Let Die, The Man With The Golden Gun)
-Big adventure (The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker)
-Older Moore (For Your Eyes Only, Octopussy, A View To A Kill)

I was wondering if anyone else looks at them this way, or something similar.
1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)

Comments

• FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    Absolutely. Except I split them up by Director: Guy Hamilton, Lewis Gilbert, and John Glen. It comes out looking the same way as your groups.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    That's actually a good classification.

I wouldn't call Moore in FYEO old necessarily, but I wouldn't call it a big adventure either.
  • 002002 New ZealandPosts: 558MI6 Agent
    Yes, I totally agree with all of you. They naturally fall into these three categories no matter how you look at it.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Yes, LALD and TMWTGG have always very much felt like Connery Films -{

TSWLM and MR is when Moore really came into his own.

Moore didn't really start looking old until OP.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I agree with your list MilleniumForce, -{ in my opinion Roger only looked old.
    or rather showed his age more on screen was AVTAK. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • M 'n' MM 'n' M Posts: 105MI6 Agent
    Good topic

I have a different system (though agree with the one you've suggested as well)

My system is based on a very simple strong / weak pattern which - until Octopussy - was an odd/even sequence.

Basically it's:

LALD Strong
    TMWTGG Weak
    TSWLM Strong
    MR Weak
    FYEO Strong
    OCT Strong
    AVTAK Weak

The pattern shows that Roger only once had back to back strong films and that's maybe partly the reason the critics never gave him a break. It also suggests that his set of films was more all over the place than any of the others and makes me wonder how he would be seen as Bond if he had only done four films - LALD, TSWLM, FYEO and Octopussy
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I am not a ranker, so - no!
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
    Jup, agreed on this. And like Firemass pointed out, they can easily be split into groups of their respective directors. I also kind of agree with the 'strong'/ weak' system that "M&M pointed out above, except that I find TMWTGG to be more enjoyable than LALD, but that's only me :)
    Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
    YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage
  • Agent LeeAgent Lee Posts: 254MI6 Agent

That's exactly how I would split it up. Only "Big Adventure" Moore I'd just call "Moore" Moore in reference to the shift from "Connery" Moore to Moore making the role his own and establishing his tone for the 70's.

And older Moore I'd probably just call "John Glen era" because I think Glen's directing really had a lot to do with establishing the tone of Bond in the 80's. This is apparent in the way he works to the strengths of both of his Bonds (Moore and Dalton) while maintaining a certain overarching aesthetic.
    Wish I Was at Disneyland, podcast about Disneyland, Disney news, Disney movies, Star Wars, and life in Southern California.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/wish-i-was-at-disneyland/id1202780413?mt=2
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    M n M wrote:
    The pattern shows that Roger only once had back to back strong films and that's maybe partly the reason the critics never gave him a break

I consider TSWLM and MR to be back-to-back Superbowl wins for Roger Moore. (please excuse NFL reference) Those two films were probably the most success and momentum the Bond series ever had going besides Goldfinger+Thunderball. I wasn't born yet, but I can still feel it.

LALD and TMWTGG are quite similar. One not being noticeably better than the other.

And the John Glen trilogy is solid 80's Bond with quite a bit of Fleming added back in.

In conclusion, I'm seeing a pattern of good Bond films. :D
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
    I like all the Roger Moore Bond films. -{ I grew up watching him
    As Bond in the cinema, so I think of him as my Bond. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    Comparing tswlm to mr is like comparing rocky balboa to rocky dennis
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    Comparing tswlm to mr is like comparing rocky balboa to rocky dennis

But they are essentially the same films.
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    I tend to break them into 1970s versus 1980s Bonds. Moore's first four are basically reworkings -- if inferior -- of the Connery films, but with a 1970s twist. The first two are drab and mod, the way the early 1970s were; the next two -- which are essentially remakes of You Only Live Twice -- have the whole plasticky disco thing going on.

Moore's 80s films are just that -- 80s films. The show the Bond formula not only demonstrating its age but also the sense of a different generation making the films, or at least trying to make them for a different generation. The presentation is more conservative, the concepts less imaginative, the pace overall slower but the action sequences featuring bigger explosions, the Russians essentially the bad guys in one way or another, a weird combination of wanting to be taken seriously while also obviously being contrived fantasy. Moore's age shows, but so does the franchise's by that point.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    edited April 2015
    Well I was gonna be content with sub-classifying Moore's films, but i decided to throw in the overview kitchen sink here:

1962 - 1969 The Flemingly Flavourful years.
    Classic Bond at its peak.
    1971 - 1985 The "I Dream Of Jeannie" era.
    Because all along I was wishing for it to be just a bit less silly.
    1987 - 1989 A Fine Mix.
    A serious & literary Bond swimming in a cinematic backdrop.
    1995 - 2002 The Steeley Bond.
    A time when sheer fun & excitement was the name of the game.
    2006 - ? Born (Bourne) Again OO7.
    Seriousness Fleming himself could never have envisioned the cinematic version of his character thriving in.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    I split the Moore movies by era, the 1st being the era of the "parted hair" and the 2nd, the "bullet head" era :)) By the time he adopted the bullet head look he had entered his mature stage so that he couldn't pull off the boyish hair cut anymore, so visually the hair is a good cue of where he was in the character's life cycle. The first era culminated in the realm of the fantastic with MR, whereas the 2nd era opened with a more serious tone with FYEO.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:
    I split the Moore movies by era, the 1st being the era of the "parted hair" and the 2nd, the "bullet head" era :)) By the time he adopted the bullet head look he had entered his mature stage so that he couldn't pull off the boyish hair cut anymore, so visually the hair is a good cue of where he was in the character's life cycle. The first era culminated in the realm of the fantastic with MR, whereas the 2nd era opened with a more serious tone with FYEO.
    :o
    I never realized this!
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • O07O07 Oxford, EnglandPosts: 50MI6 Agent

Yes, I do, infact...

DN
    FRWL
    TB

GF
    DAF
    LALD
    TMWTGG

YOLT
    TSWLM
    MR

FYEO
    OP
    AVTAK
    TLD
    LTK

SF
    SP

You can tell that even with different leads playing 007 that they feel like part of a continuation of a theme, if Dalton had been Bond from FYEO (as much as it is undoubtedly to me Moore's best portrayal of the character and therefore best picture) he'd be much higher in the rankings.

I'm appalled at Peter Hunt didn't do at least another film.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:
    I don't think it was so much an age issue as a style one. The unparted, swept back "wet" look that Moore had in the 1950s and 1960s -- as many men did -- gave way to the distinct part "dry" look that was popular in the late 1960s through mid-1970s. By the 1980s, Moore just went back to the same hairstyle he had in the 1960s, particularly on The Saint.
  • O07O07 Oxford, EnglandPosts: 50MI6 Agent
    I personally feel that the FYEO cut is a hybrid. He was clearly going thin on top in MR and his face looked all droopy in OP, he looks a bit odd in AVTAK. Is it true that he had a face lift? I recall seeing a movie about ten years ago made in 1984 where Moore plays some sort of Psychiatrist who's framed for murder or something like that, anyway, he's clearly got a pronounced bald spot as well as a very pronounced middle section.
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    O07 wrote:

Yes, I do, infact...

DN
    FRWL
    TB

GF
    DAF
    LALD
    TMWTGG

YOLT
    TSWLM
    MR

FYEO
    OP
    AVTAK
    TLD
    LTK

SF
    SP

You can tell that even with different leads playing 007 that they feel like part of a continuation of a theme, if Dalton had been Bond from FYEO (as much as it is undoubtedly to me Moore's best portrayal of the character and therefore best picture) he'd be much higher in the rankings.

I'm appalled at Peter Hunt didn't do at least another film.

I split all the films up in a different way:

DN
    GF
    TB

FRWL
    OHMSS

YOLT
    TSWLM
    MR

DAF
    TND
    TWINE
    DAD

LALD
    TMWTGG

FYEO
    OP
    AVTAK
    TLD

LTK
    GE

CR
    QoS

SF
    What would you call Moore's AVTAK Hair Style? :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    The " Trump" ;)
    :)) :))
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,210Chief of Staff
    O07 wrote:
    Is it true that he had a face lift? I recall seeing a movie about ten years ago made in 1984 where Moore plays some sort of Psychiatrist who's framed for murder or something like that.

Yes, he had a facelift between OP and AVTAK. And the movie mentioned was "The Naked Face", ironically enough.
    And it hadn't fully healed by the Time of AVTAK.
  • Mr_Sable_BasiliskMr_Sable_Basilisk BerlinPosts: 50MI6 Agent
    I split them into two groups

The ones I'm willing to watch:

LALD, TSWLM, FYEO, OP

The ones I avoid:

TMWTGG, MR, AVTAK:
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,669MI6 Agent

Yes, and that is exactly how I split then up as it seems to be the most natural way of doing it. :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    I put them into these two groups: the levity laden ones with a dollop of the serious and the serious ones with dollops of levity.

The former are LALD, TMWTGG, MR, TSWLM.
    The latter are OP, FYEO, AVTAK.

The first four were by directors who emphasized the mirth, the ones directed by Glenn emphasized the seriousness. Hamilton started the more levity laden films with DAF, LALD, MWTGG. Gilbert continued the gags ride with his - TSWLM, MR. YOLT being his first, he at least tried to keep on Young's side with the seriousness, but when you put in Blofeld looking like a cracked boiled egg inside a volcano lair that would have cost more to put together than any of his schemes could have profited, he knew he couldn't stay serious for long, so he just reused the same plot twice with Moore (though Hamilton did the same with TSWLM).

So, Moore got his first three with the mirth directors and the last three with the more serious Glenn. That's how I split them.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,669MI6 Agent
    What would you call Moore's AVTAK Hair Style? :))

Moore's hair really changed (and not for the better either) from FYEO on for some reason. Perhaps it was thinning out?
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).